Power to the Users?

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
RSH

Power to the Users?

#1 Post by RSH »

Hi.

Attached is a image showing the signature of a forum member (I have removed the not needed parts of the screenshot with gimp).

Power to the Users? Fight for your Rights?

I don't understand this!

Hasn't each and everyone equal rights in GPL, in Open Source, no matter if being a developer, a hobbiest in programming, a code-into-the-keyboard-hacking-until-it-works-or-to-give-up guy (like me) or even being just a user?

What rights should a user fight for in addition to those rights that are already guaranteed by GPL and Open Source?

Why should a user take over the power?

Wouldn't this be just like trying to turn over a pyramide, so that it would stand on its tip (head)?

You can build houses by one architect and hundrets or even thousands of workers. You can't build houses by thousands of architects and just one worker, no?

Is GPL and Open Source meant in a way that I would be in the need to let a user take over the power on my ideas, my hard work, my even that hard Linux-learning-process and at least MY vision of a smart, easy to use and useful Operating System?

To assume that I am the master of my work and vision, would this be some sort of misinterpreted reading/understanding of GPL and Open Source?

Power to the Users? Fight for your Rights?

Really, I don't understand this!

RSH
Attachments
image-1.png
A forum member's signature
(49.56 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

bark_bark_bark

#2 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Has M$ brainwashed you into thinking that power in the users' hands is bad?

RSH

#3 Post by RSH »

bark_bark_bark wrote:Has M$ brainwashed you into thinking that power in the users' hands is bad?
No! :lol:

Maybe to fully understand this you need to read some of this users postings. :wink:

What OS would we have, if the user would have the power on linux kernel development?

Would Linus Torvalds turn over the power on linux kernel development to the user/s?

Is the average user really able -and not just only willing- to take over the power in any case???
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

amigo

#4 Post by amigo »

I'm not sure the person is, but some 'users' seem to think that 'devs' should directly respond to their needs/wants. There are a lot of folks who say, "I can't code, but you can. I use your software so you should code what I want."

8-bit

#5 Post by 8-bit »

Power to the users can be taken too far in my opinion.
Does anyone remember a Community version of Puppy that was hosted by WhoDO?
He got so disgusted with the demands that he include this or that application and design demands that it seemed like the Community edition would never get realized.
In the end, he just went ahead and made the version of Puppy as he thought most would want it to be.
And then was accused of ignoring the communities wishes.

And maybe this is why we have not seen much in the development of new CE editions of Puppy.

I think the Power to the User should only be in their ability to modify a version of Puppy to fit their view on what Puppy should be to them.
If they ask too many other users they may also lose their enthusiasm.

Stripe

#6 Post by Stripe »

hi all
to me "Power to users, fight for your rights" means the embracing of open source software and giving people the right to make software work the way they want and not have to use what they are given (mainly proprietary)

cheers

Galbi

#7 Post by Galbi »

Stripe wrote:"Power to users, fight for your rights" means the embracing of open source software and giving people the right to make software work the way they want and not have to use what they are given (mainly proprietary)

cheers
I agree this view.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

darry1966

#8 Post by darry1966 »

Galbi wrote:
Stripe wrote:"Power to users, fight for your rights" means the embracing of open source software and giving people the right to make software work the way they want and not have to use what they are given (mainly proprietary)

cheers
I agree this view.
When someone takes Power to the user, fight for your rights mantra and steps out of the bounds of fighting for sovereignty over your own computer that RMS talks about as stated above - software which respects your rights and doesn't take your rights away such as spy on you and report back to mother ship. Then there is the whole Secure Boot fiasco. However when a "rabid" user starts telling a Dev/Coder how to do this and that with their work then they step outside the bounds of what this means.

The "rabid" user often forgets this software is free but complains and winges - annoying. I'm preaching to myself there because in the past I have been guilty of it but learned from it hopefully.

So my message to the Dev's of all the Puppies (Plural) is if you have a vision for how you want to build something then do it. Then the choice for the user is use the software and enjoy or find something else that you think is your idea of software utopia rather than wasting time imposing your view.

Stripe

#9 Post by Stripe »

@darry1966 a very good post, thanks for sharing.