How to slow fan on Packard Bell laptop - Lucid...[solved]

Booting, installing, newbie
Al1000

#21 Post by Al1000 »

Yep, on-demand is what I opted for. It's interesting how the CPU speeds up and slows down depending on the load, and the fan speeds up and slows down seemingly simultaneously.

I tried 4.31 again and got connected to the internet no problem; I had just neglected to follow one of the steps the first time round. The difference in temperature between 4.31 and 5.2.8.6 isn't much, and I reckon I would rather use one of the latest versions so that I can use the latest software.

I'll give Wary a shot because that's another one I haven't yet tried, but reckon I may just end up sticking with Lucid 5.2.8.6. My initial plan was to use different Puppies for different things, but I end up installing the same stuff on various Puppies, so now it seems to makes more sense to decide which one I like the best and install everything I want to it.

jakfish

#22 Post by jakfish »

Glad to hear you've made progress.

Do try, in console:

echo SATA_ALPM_ENABLE=true | sudo tee /etc/pm/config.d/sata_alpm

on a more recent puppy and see what results you get. If your hardware is amenable, alpm can be a real temp reducer.

Jake

Semme

#23 Post by Semme »

Sans sudo..

jakfish

#24 Post by jakfish »

>> Sans sudo.. <<

Ah, hadn't realized that--it's a command I've used in ubuntu. Of course, root forever in puppy :)

Jake

Al1000

#25 Post by Al1000 »

Thanks for the encouragement. All that there is in /etc/pm is a folder called sleep.d, and a file search for sata_alpm yields no results. I've also used Ubuntu (and Mint 16) although only since recently, but long enough to know about the sudo command and that everything is run as root in Puppy.

I'm still interested in other things I could do to cool it down, but I'm much happier with the way this laptop is running now with Puppy, and CPU Scaling is absolutely ideal. Running XP the fan switches off completely when CPU temperature drops to 45C, and doesn't switch on again until temperature climbs back to 55C. About the lowest the temperature now reaches running Puppy is 45C, but the fan doesn't switch off. I reckon I would rather have it like this though for the sake of the hardware, as it keeps temperature lower overall, and the fan is pretty quiet when it's running slowly anyway.

jakfish

#26 Post by jakfish »

I do believe that the command itself establishes the file--so before using the command in console, it would make sense that you couldn't find the file.

And do look at tlp--perhaps there's a pet already made, or you could do the deb-to-pet conversion. B/c I know there's a .deb version of tlp. And tlp sets up alpm for you.

Just back up your save file before all this tinkering, and that's a great thing about puppy: you can go back to the way it was, very easily.

Also, debian/ubuntu have a small app called fancontrol. It basically works off the "modprobe fan" command. It makes a text file in /etc and if your hardware's willing, you can set your own fan specs there. You originally tell it what you want through its console program.

There may be a pet equivalent to fancontrol and certainly puppy knows what to do with a fan module. In 4.32, I use it with my asus eee 900 machine to manually set fan speeds/temps.

Tempestuous is the go-to guy with these manual adjustment; he knows it all and any of his posts would be informative.

Let us know how it goes,
Jake

Al1000

#27 Post by Al1000 »

Well the folder that the file would be generated in isn't there either. As far as I can tell, alpm is something that comes included with Ubuntu but is disabled by default, kind of like the firewall.

The only thing in Package Manager I found searching for tlp is a program called tlprender_3.1.2 which says it's an ''off-screen renderer for tulip graphics.''

From what you say about fancontrol, I would guess that lm-sensors which Semme suggested, would be the equivalent in Puppy.

jakfish

#28 Post by jakfish »

I don't have lm-sensors installed on a 4.31/eee 900 set-up, but I do have fan control enabled through "modprobe fan" and jemimah's custom-made eee gui for picking your own fan speeds/temps.

So searching the forums here should give you something similar.

As for tlp, just for experimentation, I downloaded tlp_0.5-1_all.deb and tlp-rdw_0.5-1_all.deb from here:

https://launchpad.net/~linrunner/+archive/tlp/+packages

They installed without pet conversion.

In console:

tlp start

Then:

tlp-stat

That could give you a plethora of info. Check here for explanation:

http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-lin ... stallation

One thing that's default-enabled is alpm

Not much of this affects my old hardware, but it should boost your own.

Jake