How to hide the title bar in JWM?

Using applications, configuring, problems
giiba

How to hide the title bar in JWM?

#1 Post by giiba »

Are there any JWM wizards out there?

According to the documentation at http://joewing.net/programs/jwm/config.shtml#groups it is possible to hide the title bar of windows using the "group" tag. I cannot get this to work. My goal would be to hide the title bare of all windows (like in evilwm), am I going about this the wrong way?

Béèm

#2 Post by Béèm »

Menu | Control Panel | JWM configuration
Puppy Linux 2.02 SMkey, KDE354mini, wine0.9.20, devx-qt-renamed.
Puppy Linux 2.10r1 SMkey, JWM, devx_qt_renamed_210, KDE355mini

giiba

#3 Post by giiba »

There is nothing in the dialogue that I can see to add/remove the title bar, am I blind?

Béèm

#4 Post by Béèm »

giiba wrote:There is nothing in the dialogue that I can see to add/remove the title bar, am I blind?
I am the one who was a bit blind. :oops:
I thought you were speaking of the system tray.
I experienced in Windows, that when the programmer provides it, the tittle bar can be hidden.
I don't know about Linux, but I expect it to be the same.
Puppy Linux 2.02 SMkey, KDE354mini, wine0.9.20, devx-qt-renamed.
Puppy Linux 2.10r1 SMkey, JWM, devx_qt_renamed_210, KDE355mini

giiba

#5 Post by giiba »

As far as I can see the programmer of JWM provided for the functionality, see above link, but I was hoping someone here would be able to enlighten me as to the syntax I need to use to achieve a removale of the title bars...

Billcnz

#6 Post by Billcnz »

Hi giiba,
go to your root directory in Rox and right click on a space then click display and show hidden files. Then find the file .jwmrc and click on it to open in the geany text editor. If you the scroll down past the menu stuff you will come to the group options. There is already an option for Gaim (option sticky), I copied this section and then change the option on the second entry to "notitle". Then when I opened Gaim it's window opened with no title.

<Group>
<Class>Gaim</Class>
<Option>sticky</Option>
</Group>
<Group>
<Class>Gaim</Class>
<Option>notitle</Option>
</Group>

So it's just a matter of putting the program name between the <Class> labels and the notitle between the <Option> labels.
Of course if you do this you will have to close the program window from it's menu because there will be no "X" in the top right corner.

Bill

Dougal

#7 Post by Dougal »

This might be a good place to mentions this:

I was thinking of upgrading the JWM-config utility, adding some more options.

Suggestions of things to add will be usefull (I don't even use JWM myself...).
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#8 Post by GuestToo »

the JWM-config utility was originally written by thoughtjourney

she has not been active in the Puppy project for a long time ... here's a recent post she made on the Ichthux forums: http://www.ichthux.com/node/9

Dougal

#9 Post by Dougal »

GuestToo wrote:the JWM-config utility was originally written by thoughtjourney

she has not been active in the Puppy project for a long time ... here's a recent post she made on the Ichthux forums: http://www.ichthux.com/node/9
I thought she just disappeared because of havig a baby, but abandoning Puppy and then going to a Christian distro! (why should her mother "feel more at ease" using a Christian distro? Anything wrong with Barry?)
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

marksouth2000

#10 Post by marksouth2000 »

Dougal wrote:
GuestToo wrote:...why should her mother "feel more at ease" using a Christian distro?
So I guess FreeBSD is out of the question for her? :twisted:

disciple

#11 Post by disciple »

:lol: that's hilarious given the disproportionate number of Christians using Puppy. But it doesn't look so much like deliberately defecting as just that she stopped contributing to Puppy due to lack of time, is checking out another distro for her mother, and has offered to help them... maybe it's even a cunning plan to get them to change their distro and base it on Puppy - that would be good :D

Dougal - this would be tricky, but you could add a wizard to add a tray button

Dougal

#12 Post by Dougal »

disciple wrote:Dougal - this would be tricky, but you could add a wizard to add a tray button
I've thought of that. The only tricky part is that I want to give an option to change the order of the buttons, too...
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

disciple

More Ideas

#13 Post by disciple »

I have some more ideas - the most useful would deal with the onroot tag - for new users (and me) it is very annoying not being able to left-click on the desktop without the menu popping up - I want to do it to select several icons, or to take the focus off something else - I can't remember the exact situation, but there is one thing I can't do unless i disable the root on left click.
You could have an option to turn off the clock on the taskbar.
You could have an option to turn off the start button.
You could an option to turn off the taskbar (I think that's possible - can't rememberfor sure).
You could have an option to increase all the font sizes - Standard fonts/Large fonts/extra large, although Rox is the real problem with font sizing.
BTW is it possible with JWM to minimize MUT to the tray, like with IceWM? - it is so slow opening that this would be really useful.

Aha! This would be harder, but what about switching between the standard menu structure and the flatter menu structure where programs aren't grouped into as many levels?