Custom icons accidentally removed from desktop

Booting, installing, newbie
fixit

Custom icons accidentally removed from desktop

#1 Post by fixit »

I ran some desktop program to give minimal icons and ended up losing my custom icons on the desktop.

I can't find the puppy app that has pretty much everything.

I think it was Puppy Manager or something.

Thanks,
Andy

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

I ran some desktop program to give minimal icons and ended up losing my custom icons on the desktop.

Is it new desktop icons that you added or the graphics that are custom?
You can choose the graphic via
PuppyMenu > Desktop > Desktop Icon Switcher

I can't find the puppy app that has pretty much everything.

Pretty much everything of what? PupControl has many configuration apps.

I think it was Puppy Puppy Manager (PPM) or something.

The PPM allow you to install and uninstall packages see
PuppyMenu > Setup > Setup Puppy > Puppy Puppy Manager

sfeeley

#3 Post by sfeeley »

not sure if I know the in's and out's of what happened. That said, one weakness of puppy linux is that the desktop can easily get messed up (also when restoring savefiles)

I've found the desktop restore pet very useful to prevent such problems

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64464

`f00

#4 Post by `f00 »

Hi Andy,

<as above per darkcity and sfeely>. Also it may help to get in the habit of making backup (general or specific) of things that may change - with an app that 'cleans up' a desktop (rox pinboard, usually) it would have made sense to have made a backup of your customized ~/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin if the app didn't.

If you used liveCD multisession, your customized PuppyPin would likely be in a previous savedir (pretty easy to recover). Or a frugal with NoSave option would have allowed you to start over without a 'mess' ..

Will using ppm to remove the app restore your custom PuppyPin? Maybe or maybe not (in other words, it all depends..)

Be Prepared ;)

fixit

#5 Post by fixit »

I reinstalled Puppy Control and everything is back to normal.

Also installed desktop restore.

I deleted a file but it's not in the trash.

So...what it used for ?

Andy

`f00

#6 Post by `f00 »

The 'usual' Trash is kind of like a recycle bin - you drag'n'drop stuff to it and there's a restore option for stuff in the Trash. When you empty trash, restoration is not an option (from Trash anyhow). The app is an appdir in /usr/local/apps, I believe (with change-state icon as to whether there's stuff in it or not). Mainly used on a rox pinboard for drag'n'drop convenience.

Glad to hear it's all good now - by the way, if you consider this topic answered it helps to edit your original starting post with [SOLVED] in the subject or description line 8)