Slacko Puppy 5.3.1 Released

News, happenings
gerry

#121 Post by gerry »

Running Slacko 5.3 on an IBM Thinkpad T42 without a hard drive. Running live cd with save file on usb stick. All ok so far, including wireless, except I can't get Gnome mplayer to work for playing a dvd. All I get is the sound track leading up to the menu, but no video, just a blue screen.
Something missing? A driver?

01micko

#122 Post by 01micko »

gerry wrote:Running Slacko 5.3 on an IBM Thinkpad T42 without a hard drive. Running live cd with save file on usb stick. All ok so far, including wireless, except I can't get Gnome mplayer to work for playing a dvd. All I get is the sound track leading up to the menu, but no video, just a blue screen.
Something missing? A driver?
Hi gerry

Nothing missing, I could get a dvd going ok on my r51 thinkpad BUT,, in PPM you will find xine-ui.. much better :) (pretty small too as multimedia apps go)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mikeslr

Boot Manager Question/Problem

#123 Post by mikeslr »

Hi 01micko & all,

First congratulations on another great development. I just did a frugal install of Slacko5.3PAE on my ZTSystem: Quad-Core, 6 Gb. As an experiment, I unpacked the ISO into a new directory, but copied the SaveFile from Slacko5.29PAE's directory. Booted fine, the only problem being default desktop icons --previously removed-- had to be removed again.
It seems that whenever there's some change in what's to be booted, the default desktop icons will reappear. This happens on all Puppies. Is there any way to avoid having that happen? I prefer an almost clean desktop: with just icons for those apps I most frequently use so that I don't have to hunt thru menus.
But that's not the Question/Problem about which I'm posting. I recently downloaded a VLC-1.2.SFS from somewhere and as the subject of VLC's availability had been raised I wanted to test it. I had previously set Bootmanager to load VLC-1.1.SFS. So I started Bootmanager with the intent to remove 1.1 and add 1.2. Slacko's dialogue box is different than than used in Exprimo, and apparently does not include a method to remove SFSes from the list of those to be loaded at boot. See attached dialogue box from Exprimo. Tried Right-clicking. Did nothing. Might be able to remove an SFS via SFS-Load on the Fly, but the ability to unload should be included in Bootmanager. Addendum: Yes, SFS-Load-on-the-fly works to unload.
Last gripe: How can I get devs to post a link at the end of a thread when they move their efforts to a new thread? I try to keep up by checking both the Derivatives and Projects thread, but checking the Project listing as I post this, both posts for Slacko RC and RC2 show up long before this thread. And both suggest that nothing has happened since the last week in October.

mikesLr
Attachments
Bootmanager.jpg
(37.23 KiB) Downloaded 2674 times

playdayz

#124 Post by playdayz »

except I can't get Gnome mplayer to work for playing a dvd. All I get is the sound track leading up to the menu, but no video, just a blue screen.
gerry, You might try opening gnome-mplayer and Edit -> Preferences and drop down the Video Output menu. Choose x11 and see if that helps. xv is better but sometimes that gives the symptoms you describe.

01micko is right that xine-ui is good for playing dvd's.

I have just made an alternate mplayer because I find a problem with dvd menus in gnome-mplayer--the box from the dvd menu remains on screen. So when you get video working you might run into that in gnome-mplayer. If so, you will need to use xine-ui or the alternate mplayer. The alternate has everything compiled inside using the dependencies that mplayer has bundled so it is larger. To play in gnome-mplayer File -> Disc -> Open DVD with menus.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/mplay ... slacko.pet

XBlackChaosX

#125 Post by XBlackChaosX »

Man with all these builds (Lucid, Wary, & now slacko( i have no clue as to which one to get. What are the difference between these three?

01micko

#126 Post by 01micko »

XBlackChaosX wrote:Man with all these builds (Lucid, Wary, & now slacko( i have no clue as to which one to get. What are the difference between these three?
Well the main differences are Binary compatibility with a main distribution.
  • Lucid <-- Ubuntu Lucid Lynx
    Slacko <-- Slackware 13.37
    Wary/Racy <-- T2 build system (traditionally favoured by Barry for Puppy)
read the release notes for each and make an informed choice. Also, browse these forums and the Puppy Wiki.

HTH

nooby

#127 Post by nooby »

I wrote a long answer but it will derail the thread.
Do follow what Micko suggests. That is the best route.
if you fail to decide what is the best one then start a new thread
in beginners? :) Good luck.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

gerry

#128 Post by gerry »

@playdayz- I installed xine-ui, which works fine.

01micko

#129 Post by 01micko »

If you want to try Iguleder's trinity for the MAIN Slacko see this post which can also be used on the PAE_HIGHMEM_ALT version or you can use Iguleder's version in the first post of that topic.

It's fun!

playdayz

#130 Post by playdayz »

Well the main differences are Binary compatibility with a main distribution.
Lucid <-- Ubuntu Lucid Lynx
Slacko <-- Slackware 13.37
Wary/Racy <-- T2 build system (traditionally favoured by Barry for Puppy)

read the release notes for each and make an informed choice. Also, browse these forums and the Puppy Wiki.
In his announcement of Slacko, Barry did say that Slacko should now be considered the "first stop" for newcomers to Puppy. It is newer than Lucid and more advanced than Wary.

One can add most of the Lucid features to Slacko with lupufy-slacko all-in-one and have the best of both worlds ;-) http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73580

jpeps

#131 Post by jpeps »

playdayz wrote:
One can add most of the Lucid features to Slacko with lupufy-slacko all-in-one and have the best of both worlds ;-) http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73580
Another naming possibility "lucify-slacko"

arcanis

#132 Post by arcanis »

OK. I tried this, and:: *n00b question alert*:: it is a .zip, which was unexpected, since every other time I have tried clicking on a .pet the 'would you like to open this with petget (default)' dialogue opens.
So, what do I do with this? If I download it, where do I extract the files to?

Edit: This is Slacko Alt PAE. Edit again: Even more n00b. I just realized that I can find the answer for myself! Don't anyone answer this! I have to try without hand holding, and I will.
"Come back with your shield, or on it."

loubapache

#133 Post by loubapache »

Finally had a chance to retry Slacko 5.3.0.1 with the fixed encrypted save file issue.

WOW, this one rocks. Right now I am on a P4-2.8 GHZ machine with 1 GB RAM. Slacko flies on Seamonkey 2.5, Thunar, LibreOffice, Adacious, etc, at 1920x1080 resolution. Full screen Youtube is smooth (which cannot be said for other Puppies on the same machine).

Never really played with Seamonkey before but this version 2.5 is so fast and slim yet has all the functions. With a couple tabs open (one is gmail), Adacious running, Lxterminal running HTOP, Slacko uses less than 250 MB RAM.

Chrome itself with the same couple tabs open would almost consume that much RAM.

Tomorrow I am going to test this save file on a P-III 933 MHz, 512 MB RAM machine to see if it runs.

Thank you for all the work and effort.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
Desktop of Slacko
(179.85 KiB) Downloaded 394 times

01micko

#134 Post by 01micko »

Glad you like loubapache and thanks. :)

----

In other news.. Slacko 5.3.1

is released, see the main post and please read the release notes.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#135 Post by Lobster »

I tried to read them release notes - I did, I did

Here is correct link
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -5.3.1.htm

Many thanks Mick - need to decide whether to use PAE or not before download :)
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 12 Dec 2011, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#136 Post by 01micko »

Thanks Lobster, fixed :oops: :lol:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#137 Post by Lobster »

After some kelp and recent discussions, I decided no need for PAE, so am going for main. Updated wiki - gonna see if you are on IRC 8)
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 12 Dec 2011, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

jpeps

#138 Post by jpeps »

Dillo 3.0.2 with ssl.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#139 Post by Lobster »

Had a brief chat with Micko on IRC before Billy (the dog) had to drag him off for some R&R . . .

Some good news. I am running pristine (puppy pfix=ram from boot) with the ATI crystal driver and the (previously mentioned) Openshot 1.4 SFS and claws crossed, it is working. :D

No need for python (included) and no need for xfce - it is working in JWM - did not think that was possible . . .

Oh joy 8)
OK gonna add the blender SFS . . .
. . . then I am gonna create
Why did it not work before? Probably some claw fisted fool did something wrong. That would be moi :oops:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Sage

#140 Post by Sage »

Bingo - you've got the prime slot on DWW this week! Got to be doing something right.