Sound is lost upon reboot [Solved]

Booting, installing, newbie
amyo

Sound is lost upon reboot [Solved]

#1 Post by amyo »

Hi,
HI, I'm totally new to Linux.
I have done a full install of Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 on my old desktop and totally removed Windows.

I have used ALSA sound wizard, which built card database by searching sound cards.
Found three working sound cards: emu10k1x, intel8x0 and mpu401. Each of them when setup, works fine. :D
However upon every reboot sound is lost. Again I have to use ALSA and the cycle goes on. :shock:
Help me to stabilize sound setup.
Thanks
Amyo
Last edited by amyo on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 03:49, edited 2 times in total.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Try the sound info given here:
http://diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/index4.html

Karl Godt

#3 Post by Karl Godt »

would you mind to post the content of

Code: Select all

grep '^state' /etc/asound.state
and

lsmod | grep -E 'snd|sound'
?

First might show more than one or two cards and second might show that f.ex. 'snd_intel8x0m' and 'snd_intel8x0' or 'snd_hda_intel' are loaded , which may lead to mismatches .

Alsa gets started by busybox init , which runs /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and this runs /etc/rc.d/rc.services which runs /etc/init.d/alsa[0-9]*

The 'pup_event_backend_modprobe_protect --fwcomplete' at some puppies takes over one minute to finish before eveything in /etc/init.d gets started .
I have commented it to '#pup_event_backend_modprobe_protect --fwcomplete' and no problems with that ( Puppy 511 ) .

amyo

#4 Post by amyo »

As I am totally new to linux, pl pardon me and let me know where to enter the code and how to get contents of code?

Amyo

Karl Godt

#5 Post by Karl Godt »

Click the icon named "console" .

amyo

#6 Post by amyo »

Thanks Karl,

the content of code:
grep '^state' /etc/asound.state

state.I82801AAICH {
state.Live {
state.UART {

the content of code:

bash: Ismod: command not found

what next?

amyo

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

amyo wrote: bash: Ismod: command not found
lsmod not Ismod

~

Karl Godt

#8 Post by Karl Godt »

Better ro copy'n'paste code from boxes directly into terminal .

"lsmod" stands for "list modules" . Nearly almost all Linux commands are "lower case" and some start with a number , but it is [e]lsmod and not "I[ce]mod" or "1[one]mod" .

The /etc/init.d/alsa uses "alsactl" to store the stettings of sound at shutdown and restores it and next boot , if the file /etc/asound.state exists .

I suspeckt a drivers mismatch perhaps adjustable via "bootmanager" through "PREFLIST" or some settings inside /etc/asound.state .

Personally "state.I82801AAICH" and "state.UART" resembles mine : "state.I82801BAICH2" "state.UART" , while "state.live" might be too much . I had been loading two drivers "pcspkr" and "snd-pcsp" which put a "state.SI7012" on top of /etc/asound.state and deleting the whole 300+ lines long section helped .

There might be also mismatches inside /dev : puppy kernels are configured without dynamic minors for sound-devices and reside "statically" inside /dev/snd . Some kernel drivers might add additional nodes directly into /dev and not into /dev/snd also a possible case for mismatches .

There are drivers for intel : snd-intel8x0 , snd-hda-intel , snd-intel0x8m and apparently snd-intel8x0 works best for my hardware .

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#9 Post by Béèm »

@Karl,
I am trying to help about a similar problem in the French forum.
I asked the person to issue the commands you referenced.
But for my information what does

state.I82801AAICH {
state.Live {
state.UART { 
mean?
Is I82801AAICH some kinda device?
The Live a sound blaster?
The UART also a sound device?

EDIT
OK found the I82801AAICH is a Intel i810 AC97 sound controller.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Karl Godt

#10 Post by Karl Godt »

Now in short , because midory crashes using the arrow keys :

Puppy later 5series seems to have imported a /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf by Ubuntu .

This file loads many additional drivers to the main "snd_intel8x0" driver automatically : "snd_mpu401_uart" "snd_wavefront" "snd_opl3_lib" , which can be loaded also by alsaconf or alsawizard . "snd_mpu401_uart" seems to write the "state.UART" into /etc/asound.state , which in my case contains no parameters :
state.UART {
control {
}
}
Normally alsaconf writes directly into /etc/modprobe.conf , but later ones may write into /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf something like this :

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.16 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-opl3sa2
alias sound-slot-0 snd-opl3sa2
options snd-opl3sa2 fm_port=-1 midi_port=-1 port=0x370 wss_port=0x530 isapnp=0 dma1=1 dma2=0 irq=5
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. --- 
or

alias snd-card-0 snd-mpu401
alias sound-slot-0 snd-mpu401
or

alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
depending on the card someone chooses .

These drivers usually pull many other drivers into the kernel , too , shown by

modprobe -D snd-intel8x0 
for example .

For cryptic info about the sound-card I use

for i in `find /proc/asound -type f` ; do echo $i ;cat $i; echo ; done
And for "state.LIVE" : "modprobe -l | grep -i 'live'" did not show anything as it did with "uart"

amyo

#11 Post by amyo »

hi

i have yet to understand code jargon.
pl. tell me what to do in step by step way to solve this problem.

ALSA sound wizard detected following sound cards:

1. Emu10k1x
Creative Labs [SB Live! Value] EMU10k1x
2. Intel8x0
Intel Corporation 82801AA AC’97 Audio Controller (rev02)
3. mpu 401
smd-mpu401
4. legacy
Probe: legacy ISA (non-PnP) chips
5. usb-audio
override: USB sound Devices
6. aoa
override: Apple onboard Audio

First three, when selected works fine, on reboot, sound is lost.

and usind (e)l
gave same result:
bash: lsmod: command not found

well, i can not copy and paste code in console! (is my linux corrupt?)

amyo

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#12 Post by Béèm »

give same result is not sufficient. We want to see what you see in the console.

For copying a command from the post, select the text. Right-click copy (or ctrl c) Go to the terminal/console and push the middle mouse button.

To copy the text in a console, select it with the mouse, go to the compose screen in the post and push the middle mouse button.
Time savers:

amyo

#13 Post by amyo »

That is exactly i am not able to do, copy or paste using Right-click copy/paste (or ctrl c/v), to and from console doesn’t work !!! :oops:

amyo

nooby

#14 Post by nooby »

This shows how extremely difficult it is for both the newbie and for the experienced user.

The Newbie don't know what to tell to give enough info for to get the help and the experienced user have forgotten how little one know as a newbie so the advice given it total Klingon language to the newbie.

Even I who have used computers since them become affordable for an average worker guy and I have even done assembler language and C++ compiling and still barely get what you guys tell Amy.

She is doing better than I do to grasp you so it is kind of frustrating that it is so difficult.

Was it Lobster or Puppyluvr or who had video clips on how to do things in Puppy?

Could we not help her without the copy and paste by specifying how she can find the info and write it down manually.

the purpose with the copy and paste is to get info not to teach her to do new things. That knowledge on how to copy using middle wheel can come later.

The important thing is to find a way to get her sound.

one time when I failed to get sound then the sound existed on the back of the Desktop but not on the front of the computer. can be such easy things.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Karl Godt

#15 Post by Karl Godt »

lsmod should be placed inside the /bin directory .

lsmod is part of the "module-init-tools" and the only binary of this package in /bin , which should mean accessible by every user , not root-only . All other binaries from this package go into /sbin ( root-only) : modprobe , rmmod , insmod , modinfo , depmod .

To check if the binary exists use

which lsmod 
and to check permissions use

ls -lF /bin/lsmod 
That you are having also other troubles is a hint of installing some packages with a higher glibc some time ago .

Puppy 5series also have lsmod compiled into busybox v16.2 :

busybox lsmod 

Karl Godt

#16 Post by Karl Godt »

This is code from /etc/init.d/alsa :
case "$1" in
start)
if [ "`lsmod | grep '^snd_'`" != "" ];then
means ; that if the output of lsmod show anything with pattern "snd_" is not empty , load three additional snd-modules , restore /etc/asound.state or if PUPMODE=5 (firstboot,pfix=ram) use settings further down ... So if lsmod is not accessible a lot of code to get alsactl to work will be omitted .

The files @/etc/init.d/* unfortunately get executed by /etc/rc.d/rc.services and not sourced . If they would get sourced also like rc.services gets sourced by rc.sysinit , some error message would be found in /tmp/bootsysinit.log .

A script can be executed by calling it by the whole path , like "/etc/init.d/alsa start" or sourced by ". /etc/init.d/alsa start" .
Note the difference between "./" which means execute from working directory further down , and ". /" .

nooby

#17 Post by nooby »

Karl it will be interesting to see if amyo can use all that info.

I would not have been able to do it. But you are the optimist while I am the pessimist.

Beem can you explain it to us noobs?

PS I go to bed now so it is not out of impoliteness that I don't comment for next 10 hours

Karl Godt

#18 Post by Karl Godt »

@nooby : it looks like lsmod and perhaps other commands or applications do not work or do not work properly for the original poster and I do not know why ...

3 things come into my mind :

file system corruption : solution : LiveCD and fsck onto the partition|save-file

installation of some pets or packages : solution : remove the pet via ppm the PuppyPacketManager and if it removes also bins that are overwritten by the package try to copy the binary back by clicking|mount'ing|filemnt'ing the Lupu-5xx.sfs or if frugal installed by copying it from /initrd/pup_ro2/path/to/bin back to /bin

.wh. files from the aufs module are blocking things : solution : use "find /initrd -type f -name "*.wh.*" -exec rm {} \; -o -type d -name "*.wh.*" -exec rm {} \;" to find them and remove them @frugal installs also .

Béèm

#19 Post by Béèm »

amyo wrote:That is exactly i am not able to do, copy or paste using Right-click copy/paste (or ctrl c/v), to and from console doesn’t work !!! :oops:

amyo
Amyo,
The problem is that you didn't apply exactly the simple instructions of my post preceding yours.
Time savers:

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

Amy here is the text that Beem refers to.
For copying a command from the post, select the text. Right-click copy (or ctrl c) Go to the terminal/console and push the middle mouse button.

To copy the text in a console, select it with the mouse, go to the compose screen in the post and push the middle mouse button.
Beem, I followed your advice and it worked

but I disagree with you.

That text is only easy to follow if one knows what the words refers to.

Had Amy known what them refers to than it would ahve worked for her unless something else is going on that also produce the other errors.

Maybe Karl is right about finding out what goes wrong in the full install.

My very naive but hopefully very practical approach would be to add one or two frugal installs to the menu.lst she has now. That would clear up a lot. It would show if them could save the sound from one reboot to another.

it would clear up things she mention in the other thread about installing the games and them does not start?

I go to bed now.

Amy it is very easy when one have succeeded once. So don't give up on it. Follow the advice once more and tell exactly what you do or follow my advice and do frugal install of lupu525 and maybe wary 511 or Fluppy 013 or Snow puppy 17 or something.

That would give insight on if there is something odd about the full install or not.

Beem. Let me assure you that something is easy only when one know how to. Your description is easy for you and me who have done it before.

It is not easy for somebody who never have read your text and have to wild guess what it refers to.

I spent 12 hours on getting åäö on TinyCore linux and them all told me how easy it was. Read the manual.

Took me twelve hours and a severe headache and sure when one know it is easy but it took twelve hour of constant failure before that easy text became easy to grasp.

Then I lost it again and tried to get it again. That time it took only one hour to get the super easy text that one only had to follow.

So what you assert there is only so for the one who already knows how to interpret your text.