Legacy OS 2 coming early 2011

News, happenings
john biles

#41 Post by john biles »

Hello rcrsn51,
It was the gtkdialog script that called grub during the install process that complained about libcairo.so
It was more of an example to show creating these releases a lot happens that the average user knows about. That's all.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

abushcrafter

#42 Post by abushcrafter »

[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

john biles

#43 Post by john biles »

Hello abushcrafter,
OK I installed Pizzagoods Timidity and then installed vovchik's Timidity with GUI. I can confirm Timidity works in Legacy OS. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to set this up for yourself in Legacy OS 2 when it's released.
2 problems
1. There isn't enough room left on the CD to fit Timidity in.
2. My test PC has trouble keeping up playing the Midi files which stop and start. Now it is a 2.6Ghz Celeron with 1Gb of Ram. Now lets imagine someone with a 800Mhz Pentium III 192Mb of Ram PC trying to use Timidity. I don't think they'd have much luck.
One thing I've tried to do with Legacy OS is include only apps that have some chance of working with the legacy hardware Legacy OS in targeted at
Personally I like the concept and have had fun downloading free midi files to experiment with.
If I could get this up and running on a 800Mhz PC, I'd include it in the next release, sorry I can't do it for this release.

Digital_Dissident

Dial-Up Apps in Legacy OS

#44 Post by Digital_Dissident »

Hi,

Sorry if I'm too late but I wanted to note my experience with dial-up when briefly trying Legacy OS several months ago. As I recall, there were at least three separate dial-up apps included but not one of them worked for me. I don't recall the exact details now but I wonder whether you've considered including the classic "Pup Dialer" that is in the main Puppy releases.

One detail I do recall regarding the interface in at least one of the apps is that it provided only enough space for an exactly ten-digit telephone number; I could not find any way to included prefixes such as the 1 that many (if not most) people in the U.S. must dial before an area code or the *70 that disables call-waiting.

I wonder how many others have tried dial-up with Legacy OS and what their experiences have been.

Shep

#45 Post by Shep »

john biles wrote:2. My test PC has trouble keeping up playing the Midi files which stop and start. Now it is a 2.6Ghz Celeron with 1Gb of Ram. Now lets imagine someone with a 800Mhz Pentium III 192Mb of Ram PC trying to use Timidity. I don't think they'd have much luck.
Hi John. You are so right about Timidity. Timidity is a BIG disappointment for me. Before finding Puppy linux I used a 333 MHz Pentium running win95. The media player on that played midi files beautifully; I could even do a bit of text editing simultaneously without adverse effects on the player. It was a pleasure to listen to. 8) 8)

Then I moved onto Puppy linux on a 560 MHz PIII and found Timidity. I thought I would be in midi heaven. But even with no other applications running, and me not touching the k/b or mouse, the audio when playing a midi exhibits discernible breaks. It is woeful that microsoft outperforms linux with its midi player. It might be nothing more than a buffer defaulting to being unset, but as it stands the default player is not worth worrying about. No one will use it. :evil: :evil:

Unfortunately, there seems no alternative to Timidity, either. :x :x

Shep

#46 Post by Shep »

john biles wrote:I am happy to say that Legacy OS 2 will be released in June.
Ugh! That's 12 months away! :twisted:

But I shall wait .......

john biles

#47 Post by john biles »

Hello Shep,
Legacy OS 2 will be released in June 2011 not 2012, so you won't have to wait that long!

Hello Digital_Dissident,
Dialup support at this stage won't be updated or new drivers added. Your best bet is to find a Lucent Dial Up modem as this has the best chance of working with Legacy OS.

puppyiso

#48 Post by puppyiso »

Count me in. ... as one of those waiting.

You have a talent to make people wait. :)

abushcrafter

#49 Post by abushcrafter »

Timidity uses software. The other way to play midis, is to use your sound card if it supports it.

I have no problems with playing midi files on my 2.6GHz one core processor, 1GB of ram computer.

I used the midis by Mick Rippon, a fantastic artist!
[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

madshib

Newer Kernels

#50 Post by madshib »

John - I have been surfing Distros for a couple of months now and have nearly kicked the Windows habit. This distro looks very promising but I'm having issues with certain Linux kernels on my Dimension 2650 Laptop. I've tried several with kernels versions newer than 2.6.33 that simply don't work and hang on boot. I thought it was memory as it had 128meg, so I maxed it to 512meg(10 bucks!) and tried again....same issue.

I've read in other forums that you can simply recompile the kernel to suit your needs, but this is way beyond my understanding atm.

Which kernel does Legacy 2.0 come with and if it is 2.6.35 or newer, can an older kernel option be made by the installer?

Yes all....total noob to Linux but still managed to install Puppy 5.25...

Cheers

James C

Re: Newer Kernels

#51 Post by James C »

madshib wrote: Which kernel does Legacy 2.0 come with

Shep

Re: Newer Kernels

#52 Post by Shep »

For those glued to this thread in anticipation of the release, you've missed it! John has started new thread, and Legacy OS2 is available here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68397

:P
Last edited by Shep on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

Shep

#53 Post by Shep »

Something's amiss. This posting shows up as totally blank. :shock: :shock:
madshib wrote:I'm having issues with certain Linux kernels on my Dimension 2650 Laptop.
You really should try Wary 5.1.2 which is intended for older PCs. Look for its thread in the Bugs subforum here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67572

Don't ask, I have no idea why it's located under Bugs, but it does make it easy to find. :lol:

If Wary doesn't boot, then ask for help on its thread. By the time JB's Legacy is available, you'll be familiar with another excellent puppy and in a good position to be able to make comparisons. :wink: :wink:

Shep

#54 Post by Shep »

Posts are showing up as blank. :x

Shep

#55 Post by Shep »

madshib, you really should try Wary 5.1.2 which is intended for older PCs. Look for its thread in the Bugs subforum. Here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67572 (I had trouble making it clickable, as the whole post was showing up as blank)

Don't ask, I have no idea why it's located under Bugs, but it does make it easy to find.

If Wary doesn't boot, then ask for help on its thread. By the time JB's Legacy is available, you'll be familiar with another excellent puppy and in a good position to be able to make comparisons.

Good luck. I've had to build this post in pieces, to make it appear. :x

davec51

Frugal Install Doesn't Work

#56 Post by davec51 »

I set up Legacy for frugal install as I usually do with a variety of Puppies. Here's the menu.lst:

# Legacy Pup begins
title LegacyOS
root (hd0,0)
kernel /legacy/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 pfix=ram ro
initrd /legacy/initrd.gz
# Legacy Pup ends

Boot begins, then halts with message "can't find idecd" or something like that.

I have tried adding "PMEDIA=idehd" to the kernel line; then I get the message that I should add "init=", but I don't know what that would look like.

eternal-sunshine

#57 Post by eternal-sunshine »

davec51

Perhaps my post here will help?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7&start=36

john biles

#58 Post by john biles »

Hello davec51,
I have a EeePC 900A which will boot Legacy OS 2 and install it from the USB Stick to the EeePC's Flash Hard Drive. Upon booting it, I also get the same error message as you do. Linux is about learning how it all works and if I find a fix, I'll let you know.

Anyone reading this thinking "That's easy to fix!" please don't just sit there quietly, show us your amazing skill so others can benefit!

It might turn out to be one line of code added to rc.sysinit that makes all the difference!