Run Puppy from Live CD: Easy Step by Step Instructions

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
sfeeley

Run Puppy from Live CD: Easy Step by Step Instructions

#1 Post by sfeeley »

(So, I wrote instructions for a friend, and tweaked them a bit for general use):

If you feel like giving puppy linux a go, here are some step by step instructions:

Puppy Linux is a great operating system and easy to install. What we are doing here is the fastest, easiest, and safest type of installation--called a “CD Install.
Last edited by sfeeley on Sat 05 Mar 2011, 17:50, edited 4 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

have added you as a reference here
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LiveDVD
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

7) The first time you shut down, it will ask if you want to create a save file. Make sure a USB stick is plugged in and follow the instructions. (In theory the stick can already have other files, but why not get a blank one just to be safe?--they’re cheap). Next time you boot, make sure you have the USB and CD in place and you should be good to go.
Very misleading about making a save file.
A save file can be made anywhere.
Can save to CD If the CD is multi-session.
Can save to computer hard drive (any format).
Can save to USB hard drive (any format)
Can save to flash drive (any format)
Any place that data can be written to.

More info here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302

sfeeley

#4 Post by sfeeley »

@Bigpup:

All very true! I made these instructions originally for two people: the first had a broken harddrive; the second was very careful and insisted that they would only try puppy if they knew it wouldn't affect their other "stuff" in any way.

I figured that many first time users of puppy would be in the same position. (also I didn't feel like going into the in's and out's of creating a multi-save CD/DVD since I'm less familiar with that)

I'll make an edit in the original post.

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

Just wanted to make sure people know about save files.
By the way, running Puppy from a Live CD with a save file on the hard drive is 100% safe.
Normally loads the whole operating system and programs into ram so when the computer is shutdown its gone.
It does nothing to any other operating system on the computer.
The save file is a place to store settings info and new programs you install while running Puppy. It is just like any other file. It is just data in the form of a sfs file.
When you reboot with the Live CD, Puppy will find the save file and use the info, so you are back to Puppy the way you last used it on that computer.
Any other operating system will see the save file as nothing more than a file like any other. Easily deleted.