Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 23 Aug 2014, 02:04
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Lighthouse Pup 5.00 G 185M
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 44 of 46 [688 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 Next
Author Message
radky

Joined: 02 May 2010
Posts: 448

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec 2010, 12:31    Post subject:
Subject description: Screen Capture Program
 

Q5sys wrote:
MTpaint I like for its simple screen shot ability. I never messed around with any of the other screen shot programs for puppy, but do any of the others allow for taking a screen shot and then instantly loading it into an editor to sanitize personal info, or do you have to load it into an editor like GIMP manually to tweak?


Q5sys, you might want to try PupSnap here. This program is a configurable graphical interface for the scrot screen capture utility here, and can easily capture the entire screen, a single window, or a user-selected region of interest. The image viewer is user selectable, and you can also capture directly (instantly) to your choice of image editors. PupSnap-1.1 has been configured to support all capture modes in Lighthouse Pup.

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
its-me-again

Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 109

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec 2010, 17:23    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
its-me-again :
Could we know where you live? Just edit your profile. It may be possible to help you some more.


I live in Aotearoa (new Zealand)

I dont know how to edit or what question of mine you re refering to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
its-me-again

Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 109

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec 2010, 17:35    Post subject: Re: Pidgin, Flash updates, progress on 5.02  

tazoc wrote:
Pidgin-2.7.7-i486-1-L1.pet Pidgin Internet Messenger (by request)

Pidgin_NLS-2.7.7.pet International language support for Pidgin

Flash-10.1.102.65.pet Adobe Flash Player Update

I just added these to Lighthouse Update plus Kompozer-0.8b.pet which was somehow left out earlier.

I'm working on the next release; as suggested it will be 5.02, build 502. Hope to have it ready soon. Has several bug fixes... I was working on some bugs in the initscript gcmartin and others found and decided that if the main file and zWine were copied to RAM, why not all SFS files? So if continued testing of my scripting is positive, build 502 allows selection and copy2ram of all SFS add-ons at boot-time, LiveCD or frugal install. Low spec machines with less RAM will copy as many as will fit, and mount the rest from boot media.

You'll be able to select which SFS, if any to load and whether or not you want them to copy2ram--when your machine starts up, and then the SFS modules will be layered into the main file system, each SFS in its own layer, just like with the Bootmanager. (Bootmanager will work also, but this new arrangement gives you control much earlier in the process and allows everything to load in RAM at first boot, or any boot.)

I've been running Mariner, KDE, devx, kernel source and a dozen or so SFS files, all copied and running in RAM with no issues so far. Apps open very fast and the boot media can be unmounted. None of them reside in the top (pupsave) layer, and because SFS files are compressed, they make very efficient use of available RAM. I will post a bootinit.log shortly.

Hope you all have a very Happy Holiday,
TazOC



excellent. i am wondering one thing though. all teh updates and apps for lhp-G seem to be .pet kind of pointless having a frugal install even if all teh files are moced to /home automatically. This has one major drawback. as far as i can see.harder to just take the save file adn move it to another computer and set it up.

Maby its just I have to get used to the new way of doing it. i8 also believe that as lhp is verry different now that other puppies. it might pay to change teh branding from lighthouse pup to lighthouse linux. this is just cause all the advancment you are doing is as mentioned moving away from puppy linux. i feel that lhp would be better suited fro a full install anywy. it probably perform beter this way. never tested though.

Also would lhp G actually be ok adn efficent on older computers. My p4 i need to I know Bruno pup (old 431 baised) works good on my old computer. might pay to do some extencive testing of lhp_G on older computers and let us know. the resaults i am not really up to speed on hwop to test I just use what works.

Also another thing i have is this.. i got 2.00ghz dual core turion64 with 4 gigs ram (lhp only uses 3gigs of it) adn compiz messes up the youtube adn online vbideop playback. weird.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
its-me-again

Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 109

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec 2010, 17:42    Post subject:  

tazoc wrote:
Hi Q5sys,
LHP 5.02 will be the same kernel and 32 bit. I haven't had a chance to explore 64 bit in depth yet, You are right about a lot of work recompiling, updating core libs, all apps and so on! And if flash64 is still buggy that would be a showstopper.

Thanks for the guidance on kernels for Intel. I do plan to move to a more recent kernel for 5.1 or so. That may not be ready until sometime in the Spring. I have no idea which base I'll use yet. I'm focusing on 5.02 right now.
-TazOC


well my linux mint 64 bit os (baised on ubuntu10.10) works ok on my computer never had any problems so far with flash. so i dont see if it will be a problem. but then again as you also have done so much work with slackware adn are linking to tehre repos i know you will not change from that. adn why should you. I do liek lhp alot.

Keep up the Good work. sometimes i do wish i coudl compile stuff adn help you with a 64 bit version but i know i will never get to that state.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
its-me-again

Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 109

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec 2010, 17:55    Post subject:  

Another thing with teh lhp update can you add the .sfs versions there to so we have a choice i see there are the same versions. woudl be excellent if this could be done then it gives us up to date on what is new. as noobs bight install pets adn not understand about sfs fiels.

woudl be good. up tp you though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1047

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec 2010, 18:45    Post subject:  

its-me-again wrote:
Keep up the Good work. sometimes i do wish i coudl compile stuff adn help you with a 64 bit version but i know i will never get to that state.


Come on now... dont count yourself out. There was a time I thought the same thing, but after enough tinkering and such... I decided to just jump in head first and make a mess of it. And trust me I did. lol But after a while I started to get my footing. If you want to get into compiling you can start with simple programs that dont have many dependencies and slowly work up to more complicated stuff. Dont worry if its not something thats helpful for anyone else... if its helpful for you to learn... go for it. Smile

_________________



My PC is for sale
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Béèm


Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Posts: 11782
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec 2010, 20:05    Post subject:  

I finally installed the 500G.
But I have a question about the support for my ipw2100 wireless device.
I configured as I always do for f.e. in Lucid.

I can go on the internet, but I am not at home but in a vacation resort.
Up to now I was working in Lucid and got lots of 'try again' messages as if there was a problem with the dns server here. Had to push 'try again' sometimes up to 5-6 times before I got the next page.
This is when using the puppy forum.

With 500G I get good response.

So my question is: is there a difference in 500G with respect to lucid 516 for supporting my ipw2100 wireless device?

I almost blamed the connection here and wanted to complain, but seeing 500G just does it correct, I am hesitating and tend to blame Lucid 516 now.

Also in Lucid 516 I often loose the nameserver entry in /etc/resolv/conf and have to do a dchpcd eth1 to get my connection going again.

EDIT
In order to be sure, I went to Lucid 516 again.
And now it seems to work ok as well
(except I had again the nameserver disappearing issue)
But surfing in the puppy forum was ok .
So I wonder
1 - it was the connection here (but I had the issue for > 1 week)
2 - or there was a problem with the puppy forum and it is solved no.

But still wonder if there are differences between 500G and Lucid 516 concerning the ipw2100 support.

_________________
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
its-me-again

Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 109

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec 2010, 04:39    Post subject:  

Q5sys wrote:
Come on now... dont count yourself out. There was a time I thought the same thing, but after enough tinkering and such... I decided to just jump in head first and make a mess of it. And trust me I did. lol But after a while I started to get my footing. If you want to get into compiling you can start with simple programs that dont have many dependencies and slowly work up to more complicated stuff. Dont worry if its not something thats helpful for anyone else... if its helpful for you to learn... go for it. Smile


I understand what you are saying. In the future i may look into it. if i feel i am not going to spend so much time on it that i become reclusive. i have a tendency to do that. so i need to sort heaps of other things out. but one day i may do it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
its-me-again

Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 109

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec 2010, 04:42    Post subject:  

lhp seems to be using pets more now than sfs files. lhp-updater should have sfs in it to
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Béèm


Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Posts: 11782
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec 2010, 18:55    Post subject:  

Béèm wrote:
I finally installed the 500G.
But I have a question about the support for my ipw2100 wireless device.
I configured as I always do for f.e. in Lucid.

I can go on the internet, but I am not at home but in a vacation resort.
Up to now I was working in Lucid and got lots of 'try again' messages as if there was a problem with the dns server here. Had to push 'try again' sometimes up to 5-6 times before I got the next page.
This is when using the puppy forum.

With 500G I get good response.

So my question is: is there a difference in 500G with respect to lucid 516 for supporting my ipw2100 wireless device?

I almost blamed the connection here and wanted to complain, but seeing 500G just does it correct, I am hesitating and tend to blame Lucid 516 now.

Also in Lucid 516 I often loose the nameserver entry in /etc/resolv/conf and have to do a dchpcd eth1 to get my connection going again.

EDIT
In order to be sure, I went to Lucid 516 again.
And now it seems to work ok as well
(except I had again the nameserver disappearing issue)
But surfing in the puppy forum was ok .
So I wonder
1 - it was the connection here (but I had the issue for > 1 week)
2 - or there was a problem with the puppy forum and it is solved no.

But still wonder if there are differences between 500G and Lucid 516 concerning the ipw2100 support.
This morning before leaving for a long walk, I tried LH and Lucid again.
LH performed good, Lucid wasn't long at having the nameserver lost entry.
Therefor I still think there is a difference between LH an Lucid and I'll like to know, if possible, what the difference could be.

_________________
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
Consult Wikka
Use peppyy's puppysearch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
tazoc


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1157
Location: Lower Columbia Basin WA US

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec 2010, 20:09    Post subject:  

@radky,
Thank you for testing your apps in Lighthouse. I've enjoyed PupClockset and will try PupControl, PupApps and PupSnap soon. They sound like great additions to LHP!
Béèm wrote:
But still wonder if there are differences between 500G and Lucid 516 concerning the ipw2100 support.
Hi Beem,
That's nice to hear--previous reports on Wireless were that LHP had problems where Luci didn't! All I know is there are some differences between LHP and Luci that may or may not be related to ipw2100 support. LHP has 3 ipw2200 firmware files pre-extracted in /lib/firmware/, e.g., ipw2200-bss.fw. I haven't checked 516, but Luci 239 and 517 share a slightly different kernel (same release, but different version) than LHP's. LHP has an updated Network Wizard, net_setup-20101020, but that is also in Luci 517. Luci has Barry's simple_network_setup, which I haven't included as yet.
its-me-again wrote:
lhp seems to be using pets more now than sfs files. lhp-updater should have sfs in it to
Smile That's true, maybe I went overboard a bit with Pets, but most were built to enable the 'browser choice' approach with 5.00G and to evaluate the usefulness of frugal-symlink, which of course is optional via the GUI @Menu | System | Move and Link Programs. Pets are certainly easier to install, especially for those unfamiliar with SFS files.

You have a good idea, to include SFS files in Lighthouse Update; I will give that some thought. For now, click Packages icon on the desktop, then the Lighthouse button to browse the downloads page, SFS link near the top. I also try to post here or in the release notes when I've updated an SFS.
abushcrafter wrote:
I have been thinking and listing apps that I believe can be removed.
Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. I scanned through the list and found several apps that I use every day! cgktcalc, Nicoedit and Pprocess I like especially. I also use Viewnoir and Geeqie often. We've worked pretty hard to get the e-Sword installer working and some of us would definitely miss that, unless you've found that Jim1911's generic e-Sword installation procedure is better.

I think both mtpaint and GIMP have their strengths. I could possibly move GIMP to a Pet on Lighthouse Update and reduce the size of the base ISO, though I think it's reasonably sized already, and if GIMP weren't in the main file, it wouldn't be copied to RAM and would take a bit longer to launch.

I will make a note of the ones that didn't work for you and keep your suggestions in mind. As others have noted, many apps are part of LXDE or KDE and removing them might break features in those desktops. Others probably are outdated or should be replaced as time allows.
-TazOC

_________________
lhpup.org Lighthouse 64 6.02
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1047

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec 2010, 22:39    Post subject:  

tazoc wrote:
its-me-again wrote:
lhp seems to be using pets more now than sfs files. lhp-updater should have sfs in it to
Smile That's true, maybe I went overboard a bit with Pets, but most were built to enable the 'browser choice' approach with 5.00G and to evaluate the usefulness of frugal-symlink, which of course is optional via the GUI @Menu | System | Move and Link Programs. Pets are certainly easier to install, especially for those unfamiliar with SFS files.

I've always been a fan of SFS files over PETS. It also makes it alot eaiser to migrate to new releases because you can just drop the SFS files, instead of doing the tedious time consuming process of installing PET's one at a time. I've always viewed SFS files as one of the main strenghts of Puppy. Speaking of... I'll be releasing a new SFS for Flock later this week. I would still love to have Midori as an SFS, but I cant manage to compile it.

tazoc wrote:
I will make a note of the ones that didn't work for you and keep your suggestions in mind. As others have noted, many apps are part of LXDE or KDE and removing them might break features in those desktops. Others probably are outdated or should be replaced as time allows.
-TazOC


One possiblility is to move some things out of the Base ISO into Mariner. Or make them seperate SFS all together. You already have XFCE and KDE as seperate SFS files... why not go ahead and make LXDE an SFS too? Or for that matter, throw all the other smaller WM's in one SFS (Openbox, Blackbox, Fluxbox, IceWM, etc). Keep JWM or whatever your choice is as the default and have the rest as additions users can select. Is that feasible or would it moderate recoding since they wouldnt be integrated into the base ISO? I'm not trying to create more work for you, but it seems there is a push to make the base smaller (to be honest, I dont really see why, as long as it fits on a CD I dont see the issue)
Once you drop Gu2 (whenever that happens to be, so no rush) Im going try to build Enlightenment and see If I can get it to work. It's been on my todo list but I just havent managed to get to that point yet. Also, any word on Cairo-dock's compatibility. You commented on it a few weeks ago.

_________________



My PC is for sale
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
tazoc


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1157
Location: Lower Columbia Basin WA US

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec 2010, 00:13    Post subject:  

Q5sys wrote:
One possiblility is to move some things out of the Base ISO into Mariner. Or make them seperate SFS all together. You already have XFCE and KDE as seperate SFS files... why not go ahead and make LXDE an SFS too? Or for that matter, throw all the other smaller WM's in one SFS (Openbox, Blackbox, Fluxbox, IceWM, etc). Keep JWM or whatever your choice is as the default and have the rest as additions users can select. Is that feasible or would it moderate recoding since they wouldnt be integrated into the base ISO?
There's some good ideas, though yes, several files/scripts in the base ISO count on the other WMs being there, so they would need work.
Quote:
I'm not trying to create more work for you, but it seems there is a push to make the base smaller (to be honest, I dont really see why, as long as it fits on a CD I dont see the issue)
I agree. I will leave the sub 100/130MiB ISOs to developers like BarryK who are better at pruning than I. I would like to think Lighthouse fills a niche in between Puppy and the larger distros. I try to keep the NLS translations for pkgs in the base ISO where available and a wider choice of WMs, which limits how much pruning is possible.

That reminds me, I was patching and compiling JWM-vsvn-498 over the weekend to fix the missing taskbar buttons of zenity dialogs and couldn't find any NLS files. Maybe that helps explain why JWM is so small and quick! All kidding aside, the author does a great job getting maximum performance without eliminating the components that allow theming, rounded corners and other visuals. So I think I've solved the missing Lighthouse Update bug, and also the annoying behavior of Sidebar and CDKase jumping on top of normal windows after every Pet install or restart of JWM.
Quote:
Once you drop Gu2 (whenever that happens to be, so no rush) Im going try to build Enlightenment and see If I can get it to work. It's been on my todo list but I just havent managed to get to that point yet. Also, any word on Cairo-dock's compatibility. You commented on it a few weeks ago.
I want to get 5.02 done before working on CairoDock, but IIRC CD currently only works properly in compositing WMs, e.g., KDE, LXDE and Xfce. Actually it will 'sort of' run in JWM/IceWM but looks awful with big black boxes where the transparency is not functional. IIRC it also needs Compiz in LXDE.
-TazOC

_________________
lhpup.org Lighthouse 64 6.02
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 4781
Location: GB

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec 2010, 01:03    Post subject:  

The provision of a well-stocked repository is the mark of a mature distro. Compression of apps into .sfs files is an highly undesirable distraction; I would counsel against it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
don570


Joined: 10 Mar 2010
Posts: 3254
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec 2010, 16:54    Post subject: font in tray  

I recommend that you increase the font size in the tray by a point.

I changed the line in .jwmrc-theme to the following:
Code:
<TrayStyle>
<Font> Luxi Sans-11 </Font>

and the clock appeared nicer.

____________________________________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 44 of 46 [688 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1500s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0259s) ][ GZIP on ]