Puppy Squeeze 009 Development

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Iguleder

#761 Post by Iguleder »

Roy, it's the wrong 005, there were two of them - the leaked one and the final one :wink:

The one someone found in the repo is just 004 with a fix for GNOME-MPlayer, I uploaded it just in case something breaks in 005. Now it's gone, I replaced it with the "final" 005.

Transmission works on this one.

DaveS: should we use Sans?
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

James C

#762 Post by James C »

Downloading the real 005 now.Already past my bedtime so I'll try it out after some sleep...... :lol:

Iguleder

#763 Post by Iguleder »

Compiling a new kernel at the moment, 2.6.32.25 with BFS 357, heaps of drivers, ndiswrapper and modem drivers. Should be faster and provide much better hardware support, including support for most 2010 netbooks and the Eee PC.

The included modem drivers are:
agrsm-11c1040-2.1.80-20091225
ltmodem-20100102
pctel-0.9.7-9-rht-11-patched1
slmodem-2.9.11-20100303-patched1
ungrab-winmodem-20080126-patched1
These are the drivers used with the 2.6.32.16 that some early Wary had, I took Barry's sources and followed his magic recipe. I put all the drivers in separate packages so no need to recompile them for each new 2.6.32.x kernel. Also, this makes life easier in case someone wants to use this kernel for a smaller Puppy that lacks them (remember the 4.3.1-small ISO?).

Some stuff are compiled into the kernel (things like the "button" and "video" ACPI kernel modules) because most PCs need them, this improves boot times. The new kernel is compiled for i486 and not for Pentium II like the previous one, because I want to be useful with other puppies too.

And peebee: the DVB driver you asked for is included :wink:

DaveS

#764 Post by DaveS »

Iguleder wrote:
DaveS: should we use Sans?
No, sans is horrid compared to Ubuntu. I just wont use Polished Blue :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tubby

#765 Post by tubby »

As posted by another forum member, frugal install of zpup005 on a hard drive with a full install of another puppy corrupts the full install.
Folders are created out side of frugal folder? very strange and so far i still have not recovered xorg on the full install. :(

Iguleder

#766 Post by Iguleder »

That's a problem that originates in Woof. The SFS loading and save mechanisms are a 'lil bit buggy at the moment because of all the changes and improvements since the 5.1.1 and early Quirky days.

The final Wary will be out soon, so there's nothing to worry about. Debian Squeeze is getting closer to stable status, so we're good.

EDIT: does anyone know how to create nvidia driver PETs? I tried to make one and failed hard.

James C

#767 Post by James C »

James C wrote:Downloading the real 005 now.Already past my bedtime so I'll try it out after some sleep...... :lol:
Fresh manual frugal install of the real Zen 005........"X" starts now with no workarounds. :)

Sound and internet working on initial boot,SeaMonkey is flying..............

Iguleder

#768 Post by Iguleder »

Uploading deltas to a testing build with the version number 006 to here. Same as 005, but has the monster kernel with heaps of drivers, has heaps of DVB, network card, wireless and webcam drivers, smarter choice of stuff that go to the kernel and kernel modules, ndiswrapper and some modem drivers.

So far so good, very snappy on my Eee and I made sure the modules can be loaded. :)

Jim1911

#769 Post by Jim1911 »

Iguleder wrote:Uploading deltas to a testing build with the version number 006 to here. Same as 005, but has the monster kernel with heaps of drivers, has heaps of DVB, network card, wireless and webcam drivers, smarter choice of stuff that go to the kernel and kernel modules, ndiswrapper and some modem drivers.
Sorry, this delta results in a corrupt zpup_006.sfs.

Tried later with new download, works fine.
Last edited by Jim1911 on Sun 31 Oct 2010, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

Karl Godt

#770 Post by Karl Godt »

As posted by another forum member, frugal install of zpup005 on a hard drive with a full install of another puppy corrupts the full install.
Folders are created out side of frugal folder? very strange and so far i still have not recovered xorg on the full install.
I cannot say anything about >=dpup-010 and >=zpup-002 :
wary-094 booted one puppy full install and the next time I had problems with Xorg at this full install, too. Had to run fsck ( copied also /tmp/.X11-unix from a similar puppy ) and had to add rw debug to the kernel /... bootline at grub(2).
HTH

for to load zpup-001 devx I hadn't been successfull . diff bootmanager to dpup-009 had been the same. It seems that some script exports variables that are needed by bootmanager. Adding echo $variable at the SFS part of bootmanager threw only empty lines. Even adding the part manually to etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG didn't help .

Until now all 3 deltas I applied had been ok at my side :
/mnt/sdc7/dpup008/dpup-007.iso___dpup-008.iso.delta
/mnt/sdc7/dpup-009/dpup_devx_008.sfs___dpup_devx_009.sfs.delta
/mnt/sdc7/zpup001/dpup-008.iso___zpup-001.iso.delta

Iguleder

#771 Post by Iguleder »

It's getting late and I'm kinda tired after I spent the entire day on Squeeze, I need some rest :)

Tomorrow I'll upload the kernel sources and I guess it's the one we'll stick with, it's good - performance seems better now. Netbooks are kinda sensitive to kernel work - Seamonkey's interface lagged a 'lil bit under aggressive power saving with the previous kernel but now it's very smooth. I forgot to mention this kernel has BFS and other important things I removed (like Barry and 01micko) in previous kernels, it makes Squeeze run smoother for me.

Now we have a stable base, all applications seem to work and the kernel is finally in good shape, maybe it's time for a final release ... I think it will be appropriate to give it the version number 5.0.

Karl Godt: what GPU is it?

Karl Godt

#772 Post by Karl Godt »

scanpci :
pci bus 0x0001 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x10de device 0x002d
nVidia Corporation NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro]

/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nv_drv.so

there is also a nvidia_dri.so available at some puppies but it seems that nv_dri is working better for me. nvidia_dri told always refresh rate would be NULL ( 0 ) at both lines. I think it's mainly Lupu-5 series.

Iguleder

#773 Post by Iguleder »

Had this card too and I remember it worked fine with Lupu. What do you think - should I compile nvidia drivers and integrate them into the ISO, which is huge already (158 MB with modem drivers)?

Karl Godt

#774 Post by Karl Godt »

/mnt/+mnt+sdc3+quirky130or+zdrv.sfs/lib/modules/2.6.33.2/misc/nvidia.ko

I don't know the difference about nvidia.ko and nv-nvidia_drv.so

quirky130 IIRCly was running fine ( Cups 1.3.xx also ok ). I really don't know if that .ko was loaded.

I also dl'ed debian nvidia-71.xx.deb once and I think it had been that nvidia_drv.so inside of it. ( somehow version numbers could be appended ... preventing to lie by confusion .... )

Compiling takes a lot of time and the very few warnings at kernel.tar.gz could be replaced I think . But it would take a hall or building with 10 to 50 people working 8-16 hours a day on all these important things like Xorg.src and glibc.src . Hunting patches , googling around aso . tried to ln -s /lib/libc.2.6 /lib/libc.so.6 from 4.3 series at dpup009 frugal : I `rm libc.so.6` and `ln` was saying : libc.so.6 no such ... also `ls` needs libc6 and `reboot` command ... so that ~1.5 MB libc seems to be very very important .

dpup-009 is running fine after repairing it from another frugal install .

On thing is the Hard Poweroff vulnerability : init scripts should create a file /tmp/HARDPOWEROFF and shutdown scripts should delete it. If the file isn't deleted another pre-init script should

Code: Select all

if [ ! -f /tmp/HARDPOWEROFF ]; then goto next init script
else do fsck  mount -o rw nox

Jim1911

#775 Post by Jim1911 »

Frugal installion of zen-005. It's working great, stable and fast. I've installed the following software:
  • === /initrd/tmp/EXTRASFSS ===
    amarok-1.4-lucid.sfs
    Bibletime_lucid-2.7.2a.sfs
    devx_java1.6.0.20-i586-sfs4.sfs
    LibreOffice_3.3.0_beta2_sfs4.sfs
    wine-1.2-i486-sfs4.sfs
    === User Installed Pkgs (PPM) ===
    Package Description
    hplip-3.9.12-scan HP Scanner Drivers
    seamonkey_wary-2.0.10-i486 SeaMonkey web browser
    pwidgets-2.3.0 Pwidgets tiny desktop apps
    gnome-games-Lite_2.26.1-i486-dpup Gnome Games
    edit_sfs-2.1 Edit .sfs files
    LHP_sys_info-0.3 Lighthouse System Information & Video Report
    PupApps-1.0 PupApps launcher
    PupClockset-1.0 PupClockset utility
    PupControl-1.0 PupControl panel
    PupShutdown-1.4 PupShutdown manager
    PupSnap-1.0 PupSnap screen capture
    scrot_0.8-13 scrot CLI screen capture
All the above applications work fine, standouts are tronkel's seamonkey_wary-2.0.10-i486and LibreOffice_3.3.0_beta2_sfs4.sfs and PupSnap-1.0. Only problem that I've noticed is that zpup_devx_005.sfs does not show up in the left pane of the Bootmanager, although it is located in /mnt/home.

Is there a nividia driver available?

Kudos, :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Sun 31 Oct 2010, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

JorgenS

#776 Post by JorgenS »

Zen puppy 006:

My HTC android phone, connected via usb, works again with 006 :-)

Overall seems very fast, so this kernel can have my vote.

Screen flickers in seamonkey, but this issue is usually resolved by nvidia-driver(256.x), so I guess I can live with that, until driver is availiable.

I would like Seamonkey to update by itself or when I choose to search for updates in menu. But it says no update is availiable, even if it should be. What's missing for making this work? Is it an compile option?

JorgenS

Iguleder

#777 Post by Iguleder »

Jim1911, at the moment we don't have nvidia PETs but I intend to learn how to do that and make a set of all versions. I just noticed we need a kernel recompile because of a "feature" I added, digital beep support for Intel High Definition Audio, it so loud you can hear it in across a 20cm wall. And it scares me very often when I type in the console, I'm afraid to type :lol:

I'll recompile the kernel tomorrow or on Tuesday (since tomorrow I'm kinda busy with my musical life), upload the sources and examine our package selection to see what packages can be shaved off. Then we'll just have to wait for Barry to release Wary and upload a good, stable Woof we can borrow :)

JorgenS: the updater is available only if you use the official binaries, but they're compiled statically and that makes them bigger. You can empty /usr/lib/seamonkey-2.0.8 and extract the official binary package there, should work :)

peebee

zen006 feedback

#778 Post by peebee »

Hi iguleder

Your workrate is prodigious - don't wear yourself out....

Congratulations on zen006 - its looking really good.

Your delta file does work - but it does need a fresh zpupsave - updating from 005 does crash.

My AF9005 DVB-T tuner now works just great in mplayer - many thanks.

My HP550 laptop has the Agere modem so I've tried to load the Agere HDA 11c11040 modem drivers but had no success. rerwin and barryk will tell you how hard they are to get going. They are very sensitive to alsa versions and may need some patches to export needed symbols.

I would have like to have sent you some diagnostics however "modprobe agrmodem" is silent and dmesg and /var/log/messages seem to have no relevant lines although I did notice that /messages had some missing symbol reports for pcmcia??.....

The only oddity remains the pupsave tray monitor which still shows just a single green segment for an empty pupsave file - this is a common problem with wary094 so maybe its a woof issue?

All best wishes
Peter

JorgenS

#779 Post by JorgenS »

Iguleder, thanks, I have deleted it and installed another version of seamonkey where update is availiable. Personally I am happy with seamonkey and don't need another browser, but I like to have the latest stable version. I guess most users would like the latest too! A small iso is nice, but in this case I wouldn't mind a little bit bigger!

JorgenS

PS.: Gnumeric freezes when DATA-->VALIDATE is choosen in the menu. Perhaps, some space could be saved there? ;-)

DaveS

Re: zen006 feedback

#780 Post by DaveS »

peebee wrote: The only oddity remains the pupsave tray monitor which still shows just a single green segment for an empty pupsave file - this is a common problem with wary094 so maybe its a woof issue?

All best wishes
Peter
No Peter, you have this all wrong. The green band moves DOWN the column as the save file fills, then near the bottom turns first orange, then red when it gets critical. The version showing a full set of green bands was compiled for Lucid by Mick0 I think, and only appears in Lucid.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!