Trouble using Realtek 8192 wifi card

scrappy

Trouble using Realtek 8192 wifi card

#1 Post by scrappy »

hello all......

a am new to this forum an had ask a question here : http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 105#408105 about the wlan card from realtek, the 8192 version for a toshiba satallite l505 10m.

I am running a puppy 4.3.1-2 stardust version witch has pwireless2 network programm installed. I have installed the r8192se_pci-14.0115.2010-k2.6.30.5.pet driver.

I do have an wireless internet connection but its verry poor. The speed is so "high" that a programm like pidgin loses its connection deu to the speed. With the lan card i have no problems. Puppy picks that card up nicely and i have a verry good internet connection.

Is there already a "newer" driver for that wlan card ? Or does anyone have a other solution ?

Thx in advance, i love PUPPY LINUX !!

scrappy

#2 Post by scrappy »

......anyone ??? :(

Word Warrior

#3 Post by Word Warrior »

I have the same or very close to the same laptop. I use a Windows driver for this card with ndiswrapper because I cannot get the driver you are presently using to work at all. I am currently using a Windows driver from Samsung with ndiswrapper. I tried at least one other Windows driver before this one, but only this one worked.

But this driver is not reliable, as I randomly either do or do not have wireless internet for the session. But perhaps this is not actually a problem with the driver.

Another problem is that Samsung recently stopped offering this driver for download, so I would have to somehow send a copy of the driver from my computer to you. Compressed, it is about 17 Megabytes. Someone who actually knew which files ndiswrapper uses could probably make the file smaller.

For me, Youtube videos load as fast in Puppy as they do in Windows.

If you are interested, please let me know (post).

scrappy

#4 Post by scrappy »

thx Word Warrior, i am interested. I have send you a PM but was not sure if that was the way you want it....

Please let me know. Perhaps that driver works well for me :wink:

scrappy

#5 Post by scrappy »

...... Word Warrior ?

Word Warrior

#6 Post by Word Warrior »

I'm sorry about the delay, scrappy. It has been a busy week, and there are many things in my life that have a greater priority than Puppy.

I suppose it is actually better to send me a personal message. I check my e-mail, which includes notifications of personal messages sent to me on this forum, more frequently than I log into my Puppy Forum account.

Anyway, here is the rapidshare link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/376016967/W ... 9.zip.html

This link is good for only nine (9) downloads. Is there a better file hosting option, or should I look into getting a free Collector's Account, so an unlimited number of people could download the file? I imagine the availability of the file on rapidshare would eventually be terminated, even with this account.

Word Warrior

#7 Post by Word Warrior »

After doing some research and Googling the name of the file, I have discovered that the driver appears to still be available from Samsung at this address:

http://www.samsung.com/download/FileVie ... &language=

NP-R420 is the model number of the Samsung laptop the driver was created for.

scrappy

#8 Post by scrappy »

....thanks for the driver !!

I have tryed the driver true ndiswrapper but i don't get an ip. It does see the interface and the router but it doesn't get the ip.

...mmmmm looks like its going to be a while untill a good and stable realtek 8192 wlan linux driver....until then its hard to work with puppy :cry:

Word Warrior

#9 Post by Word Warrior »

So you are being told that "Puppy has found a live network connection", but when you click the "Auto DHCP" button, and the progress bar is gone, you are not told that your connection was successfully configured. Is this correct?

Can you ping your router?

scrappy

#10 Post by scrappy »

...at the moment i am at my work and cannot try it out. Will try to ping my router as soon as i am home again ( 1 or 2 days). I will give you the details of my "install" steps, and what it gives as result.

..thanks for your reply Word Warrior, and hope you can help me.

(i am a beginner with linux)

scrappy

#11 Post by scrappy »

....Word Warrior,

sorry to tell you that i have made the step towards wubi and ubuntu, it works like a charm.
I have full use of my 8192 wlan card and ubuntu gives me more.

thx for your input and help.