Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 - 24 May 2010

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#121 Post by James C »

Running 004 live for a quick test before I install on other machine.Thought I'd try Iron, downloaded and installed but it wouldn't run.Trying in a terminal resulted in "command not found". I saved the pet so I'll try to reinstall Iron again before I call it a bug. Really neat idea though. :)

01micko

#122 Post by 01micko »

James,

There are actually 2 versions of iron, the main one doesn't run for me either on my athlon. The one for 'older' machines works for me, maybe you need that one.

I like the idea. I once suggest the same idea in the 4.4 thread. Everyone invariably changes the browser sooner or later. I'm posting from netsurf now while I wait for Firefox to download.

BTW, Deta 3 > 4 works, correct checksums ;)

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

#123 Post by James C »

01micko,
I tried installing again and still a no go. I'm using my Athlon XP box at the moment so guess I need the "older" version too. Firefox is working fine though.

Good job on the delta files too, imagine the dialup users appreciate it........ :)

01micko

#124 Post by 01micko »

Yes James ;)

I have an athlon xp and indeed it needs the 'older' (older as in designed for older arches) version. I believe there is yet another for 64bit machines.

Cheers

edit: now posting from firefox :)

http://www.srware.net/downloads/iron-linux-p2.tar.gz that's the one you need, link should open download directly

http://www.srware.net/en/index.php Srware Iron homepage
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 04 Apr 2010, 04:05, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#125 Post by playdayz »

I saw those two versions when I downloaded Iron today. I saw P2 on one version and I took the other one, the non-XP one unfortunately. The XP version should run for everyone(?) That's new isn't it; I don't remember from before. I will change that when I recover from today!

01micko

#126 Post by 01micko »

playdayz wrote:I saw those two versions when I downloaded Iron today. I saw P2 on one version and I took the other one, the non-XP one unfortunately. The XP version should run for everyone(?) I will change to that when I recover from today!
Hmmm, I'm not sure if it will run for all... might be safer to get all 3, I know Jim1911 has a dual core so he would likely need the 64bit version. Can't hurt to have them in the repo anyway, but maybe wait to see if they upgrade before puppy 5 release.

Cheers, and nice job 8)

playdayz

#127 Post by playdayz »

I changed it tonight. The version now should run on everything. The 64-bit is for a 64-bit OS. Supposedly the "newer" one will run a slight bit faster on newer cpu's. I doubt anyone can tell. I Have a 64-bit cpu with and it is running fine. Thanks for catching it so quickly.

Also, 01micko, I am thinking of ways to possibly use your Icewm--that is if we don't absolutely have to as an option to jwm because of the icons.

Terryphi

#128 Post by Terryphi »

Wow. This is all getting very impressive. I'm sure the 'Choose your Browser' feature will be very popular with new users.

How about a 'Choose your Email Client' feature too offering Sylpheed and Thunderbird?

James C

#129 Post by James C »

Just completed a fresh frugal install w/ new save file on the old P3 test box. Install Firefox and then downloaded and installed Iron.Both browsers are working and as expected Iron is the default browser.

Thanks for the quick fix. :)

It's late here but I'll check out Iron on the Athlon XP tomorrow.

Great job so far.....

8-bit

#130 Post by 8-bit »

Nvidia graphics @ 1280X1024 24bit.
Did Firefox install and the font display looks like old dot-matrix!
It did not seem to help changing font size either.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#131 Post by Lobster »

I doubt anyone can tell
I will tell everyone :wink:
Iron which is a securried (even my spell checker does not know that word)
Chrome seems fast on my Athlon x2
Instant pop up - Jemimah is using Chrome in Puppeee
so it must be more stable . . .

In Lucid 003, I yesterday watched 'click' with online streaming
Online streaming has for a few editions of cutting edge Puppys locked up after about 15 mins - whatever the browser - this is a Flash issue - not Puppy or the browsers . . .
- anyway Lucid 003 and Seamonkey were very stable
Chrome/Iron in 004 has to pass the stability test or I will try the Firefox option :)

Incidentally the Iron website has pop ups so annoying I wonder if that is a PHP hack or part of their advertising income - some weird Gnome gardening game was one?

I have been suggesting the choose your own browser
option for some time - maybe this simple idea can be extended later to choose your own windowing environment?

BEWARE: Now that you are offering a choice
expect people to be asking 'why Puppy does not have a default browser . . .'
It is possible we could use a very cut down one - maybe
I for one look forward to having Opera (well OK I don't use Opera)
and Seamonkey 2 etc
We could be really wikid and emulate MS enforced
'choose your own browser' as in Europe options . . .
and offer Wine and IE - with a Puppy Linux security warning
'This Browser is rubbish' or something less formal 8)

Two things our smarter pups might be able to figure out
Kirk in Fatdog64 runs Firefox as user Spot (rather than root)
That I believe is quite easy to implement
- something like:

Code: Select all

su spot &           
defaultbrowser
[ short interlude whilst Lobster rescues elderly neighbour who has fallen out of their bed - why do the young ones never need rescuing? Another Free service. OK that is my Easter Sunday Good Deed done :wink: ]

I was wondering if you have multiple browsers
and you right click on the browser icon
could a choice be made?
Maybe using the rox customise menu option (though I think that is universal)

Anyway thanks for the constant improvements and releasing them
I will try Open Office and Xara sfs and then if it works
I am all set up :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

nooby

#132 Post by nooby »

Congratulations to the Choice of Browsers. Much appreciated indeed. What I have longed for for a long time. :)

What needs to be added is for the complete beginner a small text in the choice that tells them how to find the browser.

First they have no way of knowing where it went after download?
I used Menu -> Filesystem -> Filesystem Find -> Pfind file finder

They have no clue such even exists. The is even a better way if one go Menu -> Filesystem -> Filemanagers -> Rox file manager which find it instantly? But how am suppose to know that is the fasted way?

Don't get me wrong. I love that you gave us a choice. Very good!

Xorg worked on my AOpen Barebone but a new "bug" maybe.

Firefox html rendering goes wrong when one scroll using the mouse and drag the most right "bar" and move it down the page to look through the posts.

I test Page Down and the down arrow and those works without glitches.

So it is only when one use the mouse to go fast through the page.

I tested to look at streaming video on my HPSR5622 Desktop with NVidia and Lupu-004 has same problem as all the new puppies like Dpup and Upup while it does look good on the older AOpen computer.

I am not alone having this problem. Some named it choppy and some name it jerky. I prefer waves as a word for how it render the movements on the screen. One feel seasick after a while because it moves in waves.

Tested to use xvesa instead and 1024x768 24 and that is not wavy or choppy or jerky but have horisontal lines telling the rendering has missed something but it is less annoying to look at.

Congratulations to giving us a choice of browsers indeed. That is progress indeed.

PS if one want to show how the HTML glitch looks can one upload directly to the forum or does one have to find something free on the net first and link to it?
Last edited by nooby on Sun 04 Apr 2010, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

01micko

#133 Post by 01micko »

playdayz wrote: Also, 01micko, I am thinking of ways to possibly use your Icewm--that is if we don't absolutely have to as an option to jwm because of the icons.
I hope it doesn't come to that because I would love to stick with JWM. That being said, I am doing some refinements to Icewm, such as adding partview as a button in the taskbar, and may reduce to 2 desktops.. would be lousy on a small screen as is. I also have to find out if I can disable the default icewm 'help' button (not the puppy one). Also fixed the "buntu" theme menu button. Might ditch the '95 theme... um 15 years? :lol: . Most kids would never have seen Windows 95! Back then I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.. :roll: .

Even though this was compiled in Lupu, there is absolutely no reason I can think of that it won't run in any Puppy, so, with that in mind, I might release it on the "additional pet's and stuff" forum so as to get plenty of feedback, with a mission statement of some sort.

I will probably recompile icewm trying a few different options, and when I get something everyone is happy with I will drop the "me" from the .pet (micko edition :wink: ) and whether it becomes default or not then becomes dependent on progress with JWM.

I would give JWM the chance until the last 7 to 10 days or so before release. The infrastructure is there, so as soon as the bug is fixed then I say we go for it. I am of the opinion that Jim19911 is on to it, a driver issue, and it seems to affect older ati cards and cheap intel cards the worst. I have a EEE pc so I will do some testing on that to see if we can't resolve aarf's issue. One particular Icon you will notice, I believe it would be on most hardware is the "Pcurr" icon in the Desktop menu. It has pink around it, anyone else see that? I do on at least 3 of my machines.

Ok, so that is a bit of a 'plan'... what do you reckon?

Cheers

aarf

#134 Post by aarf »

there is something wrong with xdelta using my lupu002.iso to generate either lupu003 or lupu004. i can generate red and green messages in q10 and 431 and various files systems but no new iso's are ever produced from my lupu002.
i give up on it and will go for a full lupu004.iso download.

01micko

#135 Post by 01micko »

aarf, did you try generating the iso from q10 or 431? That should work as long as the checksums are ok. (remember you can change the 3 underscores for the colon for 431)

Cheers

zigbert

#136 Post by zigbert »

Some notes:
- Nvidia card works well. Only 16 bits, but that is how it used to work.
- text in firefox is small (for my eyes) by default.
- Browser-chooser at first boot should probably tell that basic surfing on older hardware might happen with netsurf.
- The icon-background bug is worse with nv driver than vesa. Both in 16 bits color-depth.
- Leaving JWM would be a great loss.
- Click on a html file in Rox, - Netsurf is not able to read it. If I force it to read a file:/// and not html:///, it works.
- Viewnior is not supporting non-english chars in filename. - Gpicview does.
- The you2pup menu-icon is still too wide.
- As told earlier, pStopWatch/Ptimer should really be replaced by these
- Mick has already provided a solution for Pmusic/Gxine

Sigmund

Ray MK

#137 Post by Ray MK »

hi playdayz,

could you include acpid-1.0.10-1.pet referred to here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38173
(Patriot and shinobar)

it provides soft shut down and suspend mostly for laptops
(included in both Quirky013 and StarDust013) and works well

but if you called the suspend.sh from your desktop pc, it probably works as well

thanks

As always - very best regards - Ray

Ray MK

#138 Post by Ray MK »

HI again

JFYI - installed JRB's latest sfs loader for 431 and then used it to load
his opera10final.sfs - using it now - works well.

So it may be another something to consider for inclusion if space allows.

Hope you don't mind my suggestion.

As always many thanks for lupu and very best regards - Ray

playdayz

#139 Post by playdayz »

@Nooby
What needs to be added is for the complete beginner a small text in the choice that tells them how to find the browser.
Yes.

zigbert
Browser-chooser at first boot should probably tell that basic surfing on older hardware might happen with netsurf
Yes.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#140 Post by Lobster »

Using Lucid 004
OpenOffice and Xara sfs working OK
I tried the puppy package manager
and programs seemed to install and uninstall (but not yet work)
Tried Squeak, Scribus and one or two others . . .

I downloaded (somehow - it told me it was not downloading and then did) the latest Wine SFS
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 432#407432

then using menu / utility / general utilities / sfsconversion
I was able to find the sfs with menu / system / system schedule / bootmanager
and reboot and use Wine - what for I don't know but some like that sort of thing . . . 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D