Using 4GB USB Flash Drive as only PC drive.

Booting, installing, newbie
arcadeko

Using 4GB USB Flash Drive as only PC drive.

#1 Post by arcadeko »

I was wondering if anyone has tried running a pc from just a usb flash drive and no HDD or CD

- If the machine power gets cut (eg. unsafe shutdown) can that corrupt the usb drive?

maybe theres a way to help avoid this or put in some safe guards?

I am using this to run a MAME arcade cabinet so it will boot right into my game list but the shutdown will probably be unplugging it from the wall - will this create problems?

DaveS

#2 Post by DaveS »

Several respondents have posted successful use of PCs with broken hard drives by running from a USB. I THINK I am right is saying that with Puppy, the only way a sudden power off would be harmful is if the pc is actually saving to the pupsave file at the time. If that happened, data would be lost....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

arcadeko

#3 Post by arcadeko »

Awesome - Puppy is the shizzle

William (Dthdealer)

#4 Post by William (Dthdealer) »

To reinforce what David stated

The only time killing power can damage Puppy is if it is performing a pup_save. You will probably want to disable the 30 minute automatic and shutdown saves unless you wish to save game snapshots anway, so Puppy will never write to the pup_save unless you ask it to do so manually.

I have however had a problem in the past where Puppy hangs at 'Detecting Puppy files in computer drives' as my dead HD put Puppy into a loop. AFAIK this is uncommon.

chicks

#5 Post by chicks »

Both my Puppy machines are thin clients (one a NetBook). Both boot from 4GB CompactFlash drives, no mechanical drives in either. Only thing that's ever corrupted on power loss is browser bookmarks.

rjbrewer

#6 Post by rjbrewer »

chicks wrote:Both my Puppy machines are thin clients (one a NetBook). Both boot from 4GB CompactFlash drives, no mechanical drives in either. Only thing that's ever corrupted on power loss is browser bookmarks.
I noticed the same thing when I intentionally killed power to see what would happen.

Happens to users of Ubuntu and other Linux sometimes also.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

arcadeko

#7 Post by arcadeko »

Thanks everyone - I feel much better now :)

- Hope to be able to contribute something back to puppy. Maybe i will take a shot at some of the projects I have read on this forum.

Thanks again

makerprofaze

#8 Post by makerprofaze »

I'm going to tack this little bit on. I am in fact using a 4gig card, as I've yanked out my 'doze hard drive.

My laptop has begun to make that long descent into the spare parts bins or the land fill, or some unimagined frankenstein portable. I've been getting lockups at any (un)given time lately, definitely while the pupsave was writing. Upon rebooting, sometimes the Xserver will complain it was terminated improperly, and I just wait the 30 seconds or hit ignore. I've lost open tabs in Opera and the like, but new app installs usually have remained. I've probably had lock ups at every imaginable (bad) moment in the process of running Puppy, and my installs have remained resilient thus far.

PS - I can't say it enough - check out dpup.