How to get Puppy to shut off the power?

Booting, installing, newbie
Patsfan35

How to get Puppy to shut off the power?

#1 Post by Patsfan35 »

Yeah everytime I go to shutdown the computer I get a System Halted! and I have to manually click the power button on my computer to shutdown completely. I was wondering what to do? I am new to Linux. If there is a command to use I am not even sure where to put a command. I am using Puppy Linux 4.2.1. Someone help plz. Thanks.

Dean

#2 Post by Dean »

Patsfan35

#3 Post by Patsfan35 »

Ok. Where is the kernal command line to be able to enter a command? I am totally new to Linux. LOL

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

There is no kernel command line. Therefor I assume you either want to set kernel options (like acpi=force), or you want a commandline to run commands (like modprobe). They are completely different, so you can't set kernel options from the commandline, for example.

First let me go over kernel options. Are you familiar with using pfix=ram? It's done the same way. In case you aren't, I'll explain.

When you boot from CD, there is a stage where it shows a logo and pauses for several seconds for you to type things, then it continues booting. During that stage, you can provide kernel and boot options by typing the word puppy, a space, and then the options. So if you wanted to use the acpi=force kernel option, you would type this:

Code: Select all

puppy acpi=force
Then press enter.

If you do not boot from CD, there will be a file that you can edit to use the option. For USB users, this is the syslinux.conf file on the USB drive. I haven't worked with USB installs for a while so I don't know what the file currently looks like to give you good instructions. Most likely there will be two lines of text. Try adding the option to the one with the most text in it. If there is a line that starts with the word "append", put it at the end of that line instead.

If you use a harddrive install (either Full or Frugal, makes no difference here), you need to edit the menu.lst file. It will probably be at /boot/grub/menu.lst if you have a full install, and /mnt/home/boot/grub/menu.lst if you use a frugal install. Inside the file there will be what we call the "kernel line". It starts with the word 'kernel'. Add the option to that. So for example, on my system the kernel line looks like this:

kernel /412/vmlinuz pmedia=satahd psubdir=412
So I would change it to look like this:

kernel /412/vmlinuz pmedia=satahd psubdir=412 acpi=force

If however you just meant "command line" that's simpler. Click the icon on the desktop that is labeled "console".

The terms "commandline", "console", and "terminal" all tend to be used interchangeably, so when somebody tells you to use one of them, that's what the're talking about. In a standard Puppy, the program being run by that icon is "rxvt", and rxvt will run the "bash" shell. Don't worry much about what all that means right now. Just know that if somebody tells you to run a command, they almost always mean to open a terminal window, type in the command, and press the enter key.

If somebody says something along the lines of "Exit X and run this on the commandline", or "Drop out to the commandline", or "Make sure you run this in the real commandline", they mean for you to go to the menu and choose "exit to prompt", which will either be in the shutdown menu or in the shutdown dialog box, depending on your version of Puppy. (You can also generally use CTRL-ALT-Backspace). This will shut down the window system and leave you at the "real" commandline, like when you reboot Windows 9X into DOS mode (as opposed to opening a commandline window). It's pretty rare that you need to do this though. Most things will work just fine from a terminal window. By the way, to start X back up after this, you would use startx or xwin (they are the same thing in Puppy).

Also, note that the enter key on the num-pad will only work in rxvt if you enabled num lock.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Patsfan35

#5 Post by Patsfan35 »

Ok, I just added the acpi=force to my kernal line in menu.lst. Tried to shutdown the computer and still says System Halted and I have to press the button on my computer to shutdown. How do I get this to make a clean shutdown without having to manually click the button? Thanks.

Patsfan35

#6 Post by Patsfan35 »

scratch that. I just tried it again and it works. =) Also keeps my wireless connection which I assume was lost when the System Halted everytime.

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

Yeah, I forgot to mention that kernel options don't take effect until the next time you boot, because during boot is the only time the kernel looks at the menu.lst file.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Sage

#8 Post by Sage »

Day after day, week after week, Puppy's unique feature causes FUD amongst incomers. How many times has this question been raised? Why won't those who are perfectly capable fix this nasty little glitch? Maybe series 1 did use a different kernel, but it always shut down properly on all chipsets. Every other distro can achieve this rather basic function in all kernels. It's this lack of polish and the disinterest amongst clever coders that frightens off the women and children. Polish is far more important than playing tricks with wobbly windows, new compiling techniques, etc that appeal mainly to the cognoscenti. The old mantra about learning to fix stuff one's self if you want to use Linux doesn't wash. Lots of folk don't have the ability, most don't have the time in their increasingly busy lives. That's the reality. Offering a distro implies that one has used best one's endeavours to make everything the HW vendors have provided - work! It's simply not possible to get away with partial solutions in any other field of science. Epitaph for Gates?
"Our latest and greatest spaceship promises the best experience yet for astronauts, but we haven't got the time or inclination to work on shutting down the rocket motors."

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

Hmm those never fixed niggly bugs eh.
Well this one is due to the acpi cutoff being set to 2002 I believe...I have 2 machines older than that with acpi. I think its aimed at laptops which have acpi problems (with puppy at least)
The feature of puppy 4 frugal installs trashing full installs as pfix=ram is ignored was classed as an enhancement.....caught me out several times and it felt more like a bug...but hey :)
Then if you use full installs expect there to be problems with corrupted file systems and power outages. Actuall 2fs save files ain't to clever either.
And those wishing to dual boot always need our help so lets be there.

Well I just make noises and make sure there are posts on here about such things and plenty of links to them...oh and remember to bookmark them :D

A contructive rant eh :wink:

mike

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

Actually I remembered something else other distros do...automatically connect if there is a LAN connection present

mike

Sage

#11 Post by Sage »

Indeed they do, mike, but only if DHCP is set in the router. Most domestic installations can afford to split their access 50/50. though.

CiaW

#12 Post by CiaW »

Sage wrote:Day after day, week after week, Puppy's unique feature causes FUD amongst incomers. How many times has this question been raised? Why won't those who are perfectly capable fix this nasty little glitch? Maybe series 1 did use a different kernel, but it always shut down properly on all chipsets. Every other distro can achieve this rather basic function in all kernels.
In my very recent experience, not really (that every other distro can achieve this very basic function). I recently installed Crunchbang (which uses a Ubuntu base); and I looked at this thread because I'm having exactly this problem on that install. I'm not really looking for resolution here, since this is a Puppy forum. But using Slaxer Pup on my 1999 bios ibm thinkpad doesn't require the acpi=force option; and the #!CB boot mentions that the bios fails the 2000 cutoff for acpi; but when I try to enter an acpi=force option at boot-time, to see if it works -- it does nothing. I think that might be why I'm having the larger issue of flaky system time config on CB, but I'll deal with that later.

That's one reason I re-installed slaxer pup -- to see if maybe it was my laptop being flaky, or the software being flaky. I can't hibernate or suspend on Puppy; but shutdown and the issue with system time is working fine, so I think it's flaky software.

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

The slaxerpup kernel does have a nice broad range of software support

mike

diaeresis

#14 Post by diaeresis »

This issue is on the bug tracker http://code.google.com/p/puppy-developm ... ells=tiles
Please give it a nudge and get it to the top of the list! issue 21.

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

You nudge my bug and I'll nudge yours eh :wink:

mike

diaeresis

#16 Post by diaeresis »

saucy

No, seriously, this is a BIG issue on the forum, if you trawl the posts for any month a good proportion are to do with this. Fix it and many new users first reaction is not WTF? but Wow It Works!

freacer

#17 Post by freacer »

Agree it is an issue. I do need to save the bios and set the cpu speed everytime i start the computer because of the "improper" power off. When I have time will work on it..

edit:
And a few days later: acpi=force after the kernel line works for an asus p3b-f motherboard.