HanSamBen-a derivative of Edupup with Gcompris 8.4- Alpha V2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
cj.veniot

Documentation: sorry, can't contribute

#161 Post by cj.veniot »

My apologies folks, I had really looked forward to contributing to this project, throwing myself right into it, with some documentation.

I'm in the midst of a separation, shopping for a house, and just found out my father in law has cancer. When it rains, it pours. Needless to say, I am out for the count for the foreseeable future.

Kudos to all of you and the work you're putting into this project. I think this is a real gem. Can't say enough good things about it.

I hope that someday, somehow, I can participate somehow. For now, I'll be limited to the enjoyment of watching my little one using this product. Well, me too for that matter ... my memory stinks, so I'm having a blast with the concentration game.

Best regards, best wishes.

sidders

#162 Post by sidders »

cj. No worries, youve got to get your priorities right.

Back from hols and now going to get back into the Puppy mindset.

Just wondering if there is a way of using some shell command to highlight or redirect the commands used in a script to a file. I ask this in relation to the one click install, in particular the full install. so i could run a couple of installs and see what is happening in Barry's universal install script. Or is this not possible?.

jamalexa

#163 Post by jamalexa »

Is it ready for primetime in America. I would like to install it in a Pre k to K school but some of the apps are set for the UK. How could I set them to US?

ecomoney

#164 Post by ecomoney »

Welcome back Sidders.

Just a quick update, Ive got a netbooted version of HSB to work! This means that entire classrooms can be puppied in minutes. here is a "Classroom ISO", Boot it on one computer and it boots HSB on the others in the network.

http://www.ecomoney.eu/hsb/cyberhsb.iso

Ive installed it for temporarily for testing at the cybercafe (it has 8 diskless clients and a single puppy admin computer to supply them with an OS).

IMHO, HanSamBen is getting ready for release, we need to start thinking about documentation, and how to get word of it out.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

sidders

#165 Post by sidders »

jamalexa . You can changhe Gcompris by using the admin console. open a terminal

Code: Select all

gcompris -a
If there are any other apps, let me know and i'll look into it.

Ecomoney. I'm thinking about the documentation. I'll start with the Bios and booting CD.
The oneclick Full install could do with looking at, so i'll crack on with that and have just started turning the Lite version into a pure live cd.

technosaurus

#166 Post by technosaurus »

sidders wrote: Just wondering if there is a way of using some shell command to highlight or redirect the commands used in a script to a file. I ask this in relation to the one click install, in particular the full install. so i could run a couple of installs and see what is happening in Barry's universal install script. Or is this not possible?.

command > file

subsequent commands

command >> file

ex.

echo "this is the section where... to some variable" $VARNAME1 >> myoutfile.txt
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

ecomoney

#167 Post by ecomoney »

@ Sidders

Seeker has produced a package which makes puppy install .exe's for windows which automatically configures dual boots. I havnt managed to get round to installing it yet, but I do have some installer packages which were produced by it and can confirm that it works very well.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=44098
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

cthisbear

#168 Post by cthisbear »

ecomoney:

Have a good holiday mate.

Now to muck up this thread.

Could you change the sound in the Cybercafe Puppy.
Tried it a few times on different comps.
A real pain to activate it.

Sidders. Still love Hansamben.
Downloaded Robs' variation today.
Haven't tested it...sorry.
Been converting a Vista comp to XP.

But for revenge also cheat frugalled the Cyber Cafe pup.

Regards to all...sorry to be a bother.

Chris.

jamalexa

Coins Game

#169 Post by jamalexa »

Is there an American version of the game Coins?

ecomoney

#170 Post by ecomoney »

Hi Chris

Holiday has had to be put off until tommorow (dont ask..its a government thing) :evil: Glad you liked the cyber-frugal. PM or post on the mission thread and I will see what I can do sound wise.

jamalexa

Gcompris on low memory

#171 Post by jamalexa »

I just installed HSB on 4 P 2 computers. They are Compaq EP/SB Series running at 333mhz. 3 have about 192 mb of ram. One has only 64mb. They were running Win 98. I set up a 1 g swap on all of them. Gcompris will not run on the machine with 64 megs of memory . Is there a workaround?

sidders

#172 Post by sidders »

jamalexa. As far as i know there isnt a US version of coins. its a TCLkit game. I dont know how easy it is to change the images. I can put it on the list.
As for Gcompris on 64 mb ram. doese it not load at all, or is it certain apps within gcompris.? According to the Gcompris site, it should run on 48mb ram.I'm going to rip some ram out of my test rig and see.

EamonM

Kudos Sidders

#173 Post by EamonM »

Just a quick message to say thanks for the effort. My 5 year old daughter thinks it's the coolest ever. :D

I've scattered a few CDs, and will post any feedback here.

E
[b][color=green]Go n-éirí an bóthar leat![/color][/b]

muggins

#174 Post by muggins »

jamalexa & sidders,

regarding the coins tclkit, you can unwrap it, if you have both tclkit & sdx.kit, by using the command:

sdx.kit unwrap coins.kit
You would then need to find an appropriate set of images of American
coins, and save them in the images directory, with names 1.gif etc. Then
alter lines 575-577 to reflect US coinage, then do:

sdx wrap coins

cthisbear

#175 Post by cthisbear »

ecomoney:

OK! Shall do.

ta...........Chris.

jamalexa

#176 Post by jamalexa »

Hello.
Sidders : Rechecked Gcompris. Computer with 64m will not load.Computer with 192 m loads and runs. Single click, double click. Tried the icon and the menu program would not load. Same specs just more memory.

muggins : that is a little beyond my skills. Is there a Wine pet that will work. I have a few freeware Win 98 games that my school uses.

also what thread would I go to to learn how to remove and add programs and icons to my systems?

sidders

#177 Post by sidders »

i'll have a go at the coins at the weekend. Which coins do you want, dollars, nickels, dimes etc. Having not travelled in the US, i must profess my ignorance as what values nicklels etc relate to. :oops:

Might as well do Euro's and as Puppy originated in the Southern hemisphere, i'll do the oz currency.

jamalexa

Coins game

#178 Post by jamalexa »

Hello. :) I was thinking about installing a wine pet because I used a coin learning game before (See-[ url=http://www.greyolltwit.com/lchange.html]. The kids seemed to like it.There are other educational freeware games on this site. Take a look.

jamalexa

coins game

#179 Post by jamalexa »

Sorry. I went back to the website. That game is no longer on his freeware list. I'll have to see if I can find my old free version., but there are other games that are free.

sidders

#180 Post by sidders »

Sorry, i havnt done the coins games yet, i've been messing about with Splashy and as yet have had no joy (as with everyone else who has posted about Splashy on the forum). I still get an error, but i think it is doable. I may be one of those things to go back to. I'll give it another try, then if it doesnt work crack on with the coins.

Onwards and upwards

Also had a crack at Pebbles, but couldnt get that to work in 412