Quotes

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
Perj

Quotes

#1 Post by Perj »

I think it's about time the Moderators issued instructions about keeping answers or information relevant to Puppy, in the main forums.
In particular there is one member who gives a 3 or 4 line answer or information on Puppy matters and then procedes to list long quotes from various people from a bygone era, of no relevance to the answer or information given in the post.
People may or may not find the quotes interesting or amusing. If some point is trying to be made by listing them, then the new "Completely off Forum" recently set up, is the place to put them.
There anyone who so desires can discuss with the "poster" whatever point is being made.
So please use the new forum and don't clutter the main forums with, depending on ones opinion, irrelevant quotations

Johnny Reb

Re: Quotes

#2 Post by Johnny Reb »

Perj wrote:I think it's about time the Moderators issued instructions about keeping answers or information relevant to Puppy, in the main forums.
In particular there is one member who gives a 3 or 4 line answer or information on Puppy matters and then procedes to list long quotes from various people from a bygone era, of no relevance to the answer or information given in the post.
People may or may not find the quotes interesting or amusing. If some point is trying to be made by listing them, then the new "Completely off Forum" recently set up, is the place to put them.
There anyone who so desires can discuss with the "poster" whatever point is being made.
So please use the new forum and don't clutter the main forums with, depending on ones opinion, irrelevant quotations
Sir, If you do not wish to read the quotes I append to my posts that is your right., and I would not force you to read them if I could. However, it is my right to append a quote or quotes to my post if I wish, as it is your right to append a quote or quotes to your posts, and I would defend your right to say whatever you wished regardless of if I liked it or not. That Sir is called freedom of expression! It would be wise of you to take into consideration this quotation "He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." ~ Thomas Paine, Dissertation on First Principles of Government, December 23, 1791, and this one "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." ~ Voltaire . There are timeless principles enshrined in the quotations I append to my posts. If you do not see that, again it is your right to ignore what I have posted, however bewarned these are perilous times, and to ignore history is to repete it. Perhaps you believe that the tryanny that is decending upon the world is a good thing, if so then it is understandable that you do not like the quotations I post because they champion freedom and liberty, something which sadly is on the decline. Regardless, you will never see me complain that your posts need to be cencored because as Voltaire, I would defend to the death your right to say whatever you wished.

Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else. ~ Frederic Bastiat, Government

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation. ~ Thomas Brackett Reed

When personal judgement is inoperative (or forbidden), men's first concern is not how to choose, but how to justify their choice. ~ Ayn Rand
He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
~ Thomas Paine

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Sorry Johnny, but I tend to agree with Perj. There are times when I wish you would limit yourself to just one short quote. :lol: I try to read through every thread, to see if it belongs in another forum, or if I can think of a subject line that fits it better, etc.. There is at least one thread you have contributed several posts to and it takes it a lot longer than it should to read through that thread. :)

MU

#4 Post by MU »

That Sir is called freedom of expression!
There is another fine quote:
"Freedom goes as far as it does not disturb the freedom of others".
That's to say freedom is based on responsable usage.

I find Johnnys posts often difficult to read, as it is difficult to see, where the "reply" stops and where the quotes begin.
Maybe they shold be set in italics and another colour.

The current way it has more the character of spamming technical threads with offtopic-messages (sorry Johnny, I really appreciate your work for Puppy) :oops:

Greets, Mark

deshlab

#5 Post by deshlab »

MU wrote:I find Johnnys posts often difficult to read, as it is difficult to see, where the "reply" stops and where the quotes begin.
Maybe they shold be set in italics and another colour.
I thought the same thing when I read Perj's post: Maybe Johnny Reb / You could simply use the quote code offered by the forum - it is for quotes after all! This would make it much easier to distinguish between the actual answer and the addendum.

Please think about it, Johnny.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Johnny, I hope it doesn't seem to you that we're piling on. :( I meant only the gentlest of criticism. Your contributions to the forum are much appreciated. :)

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

Sir, If you do not wish to read the quotes I append to my posts that is your right., and I would not force you to read them if I could. However, it is my right to append a quote or quotes to my post if I wish, as it is your right to append a quote or quotes to your posts, and I would defend your right to say whatever you wished regardless of if I liked it or not.
I for one like many of them and don't mind the rest (as far as the message goes), but it is slightly annoying to have to scroll through them. One quote (or a couple small ones) is just fine. But three four-liners is sorta pushing it.

It's like how I have a nice avatar that I never use here because it distracts some people due to being animated. I do sometimes forget this and use it, but they always seem to remind me. :wink:
A new quote I just made up wrote:The much spoken of "They" tell me that everything is bad in excess and that we should practice moderation. They are right sometimes. But they should be more moderate in telling me how to live my life. Ignoring them is hard work after all.
Johnny, I hope it doesn't seem to you that we're piling on. :( I meant only the gentlest of criticism. Your contributions to the forum are much appreciated. :)
Ditto
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

#8 Post by Guest »

since he likes quotes that much here are Few quotes to add to his collection:

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
"His ignorance is encyclopedic"
- Abba Eban
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
- Frank Zappa
"I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment to be called an agnostic.
I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure -- that is all that agnosticism means."
- Clarence Darrow,