3.01 full install won't shutdown or reboot (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
llol_slim

3.01 full install won't shutdown or reboot (Solved)

#1 Post by llol_slim »

hi all>
Firstly, I am so impressed with Puppy :) As i guess everyone on this forum is.

My problem is, and I have redone this about 5 times to check) after i install puppy linux (format hdd through gparted, then full install) onto the hdd it reboots and works fine.
However, if i try to shutdown, it seems to be, and then just goes back to the desktop. It never actually shuts down.

The only way I know to shut it down is to hold down the power button. The problem with this is, when i then try to rebiit, it goes through the booting list L Uncompressing linux DONE .. etc then does "executing personal config script /etc/rc/d/rc.local..." DONE then does nothing. Just a hash (#) sign and the caret flashing.

I guess its something to do with not shutting down properly but I'm unsure what to do.
I have to reinstall it every time this way.
any suggestions?
Thanks

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Could you supply some more information please i.e.

The version you are installing, the specs of the machine you are installing to and the steps you have taken to do the install, thank you.

mpres

#3 Post by mpres »

If I underestood it correctly, you can reboot, but you can not shut it down...
I've had similar problem and I solved this just 10 minutes ago. I don't know if it is your case...
What I did, I upgrated my bios. My Puppy Linux 3.01 is working on really old machine (motherboard - Asus P2B). My Puppy couldn't shut down so I downloaded latest bios from Asus website and upgraded it. Now it is working fine. If you are running your Puppy on old machine (with old bios version) as well, you can try...

llol_slim

#4 Post by llol_slim »

Ian wrote:Could you supply some more information please i.e.

The version you are installing, the specs of the machine you are installing to and the steps you have taken to do the install, thank you.
sorry,i was going to include that, but I forgot.
Its a packard bell easy one silver, 800mhz cpu, 10gb hdd and 128mb ram

i am installing the latest version 3.01. Booting using the LiveCD the using Gparted to delete the partition onthe HDD and then create a new partition which I then use the Wizard to install a "full" install,using all the default options (not frugal) then go through the Grub wizard at the end of the install withthe master boot record option, to boot into Puppy.

There are no other operating systems install.

I have to do the Gparted part otherwise when I install I get an error 15 (sorry i cant remember the wording)

i hope thats enough?!
mpres wrote:If I underestood it correctly, you can reboot, but you can not shut it down...
I've had similar problem and I solved this just 10 minutes ago. I don't know if it is your case...
What I did, I upgrated my bios. My Puppy Linux 3.01 is working on really old machine (motherboard - Asus P2B). My Puppy couldn't shut down so I downloaded latest bios from Asus website and upgraded it. Now it is working fine. If you are running your Puppy on old machine (with old bios version) as well, you can try...
thank you, i will try that now.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: Reboot after install not working

#5 Post by Béèm »

llol_slim wrote:hi all>
Firstly, I am so impressed with Puppy :) As i guess everyone on this forum is.

My problem is, and I have redone this about 5 times to check) after i install puppy linux (format hdd through gparted, then full install) onto the hdd it reboots and works fine.
However, if i try to shutdown, it seems to be, and then just goes back to the desktop. It never actually shuts down.

The only way I know to shut it down is to hold down the power button. The problem with this is, when i then try to rebiit, it goes through the booting list L Uncompressing linux DONE .. etc then does "executing personal config script /etc/rc/d/rc.local..." DONE then does nothing. Just a hash (#) sign and the caret flashing.

I guess its something to do with not shutting down properly but I'm unsure what to do.
I have to reinstall it every time this way.
any suggestions?
Thanks
If after the reboot you are at the command promp you can type xwin.
You should get normally your desktop again.

No to shutdown.
As this doesn't work, try ctrl-alt-backspace.
You will get that command prompt.
Then type poweroff.
Does this work?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

llol_slim

Re: Reboot after install not working

#6 Post by llol_slim »

Béèm wrote:If after the reboot you are at the command promp you can type xwin.
You should get normally your desktop again.

No to shutdown.
As this doesn't work, try ctrl-alt-backspace.
You will get that command prompt.
Then type poweroff.
Does this work?
thank you, both commands work :) Now I have a working system, thank you so much and now they are both running correctly, I dont need to type the commands, THANK YOU!!

Now onto my other problem of getting my pcmcia card to work :)

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#7 Post by Béèm »

Good.
Success with a solution for your PC Card.
Did you make a post already?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

llol_slim

#8 Post by llol_slim »

Béèm wrote:Good.
Success with a solution for your PC Card.
Did you make a post already?
just about to :)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23826