Firefox 'Multi-Account Containers' by Mozilla

For discussions about security.
belham2

Firefox 'Multi-Account Containers' by Mozilla

#1 Post by belham2 »

Over the years, I've been pretty vocal about my distaste for add-ons when using any browser.

I already perform over a hundred+ modifications to (about:config) every install of the the Firefox browser on any machine across my home network. All to modify and/or disable stuff that doesn't need to be active and/or be there in the first place, settings like, for example, webauth, ssl-settings, tls-settings, telemetry, webgl, media-peer, media-screensharing, media-autoplay, pocket, prefetch, geo, formfill, device, datareporting, dom-event, dom-battery, experiment, browser-session, browser-cache, browser-safebrowsing, browser-search and several others.

Regarding add-ons, my main reason for my dislike is that we've always known "browser add-ons" are one of the vectors that bad actors both use and also go after when attacking browsers. A lot of the add-ons fiascos over the past several years have borne this situation out. And, if you consider the free-for-all in the Android world, it is & has been taken to a whole other level.

But there is one area of "add-ons" that I am very in favor of.
Add-ons that are developed specifically by the same team that writes code for their browser.

To wit: Mozilla and the bang up (imho) job they've been doing with Firefox the past 14-16 months.

And the add-on by them I am talking about:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ontainers/

I've been testing it out for several weeks now, and I am just impressed at how well the multi-account-containers works. Especially its ease of use. I finally can do whatever I want in a certain tab (you hearing me Google?), and I can forever keep Google's massive fingerprinting and browsing tracking (Exhibit A why you want to completely remove every setting in any browser that Google claims is for "safebrowsing")....I can keep them in that tab only, while preventing Google from seeing any other tabs I might have open and be browsing at the time.

My thoughts on how to use/apply this multi-contiainers add-on are growing every day.

I've already set up over 20+ Firefox Containers, they work automatically once set up, and each Container took all of 15-20 seconds to set up.

Knowing I have totally walled off gardens for either a single web site and/or a group of sites and/or domain, well, let's just say it leaves me with a good feeling.

Yes, Chrome (and their derivatives) has/have their foot on the throat of the world's browser market, but we Puppians know better.

Surprise yourself and take a look at what Mozilla has been doing lately.

8Geee

#2 Post by 8Geee »

I have "66" here, and will have a peek. Thanks for reminding us (and me) about screenshare and safebrowsing.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."