Anyone have experience programing BIOS?

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
purple379

Anyone have experience programing BIOS?

#1 Post by purple379 »

I was looking for a laptop to run, exclusively Linux. As my current laptop has EFI/BIOS that does not like Linux. And other things that make converting it difficult.

I have discovered a Lenovo X230 seems to be agreeable to Linux. eIt can run QUBES, if one changes the BIOS to CoreBoot. In any case, Using Core Boot seems a reasonable enough thing to attempt.

Looks like more cost, fiddling that I would want. I have Arthritis in my hands, so I am not so great on opening computers. The descriptions to program Core Boot, Sea Bios seem to look easy, but it does cost more money to buy tools. twenty thirty dollars. Or I can guess my local computer shop would want over a hundred to do this, and require I sign a statement that if it is bricked, they have no liability. They used to have a minimum of $110.00 to open any laptop, because sometimes things go bad. For this, I am guessing one fifty.

Any of you have any experience at Programming BIOS like this? Is it as easy as I see described.

I have not bought the Lenovo X230. I guess a bit under three hundred, and hope the battery lasts for awhile. I could play with the X230 a good bit without programming the BIOS to Core Boot.

Also I wondered if it is possible to get a Chrome-Book and change it to act like a laptop. Which also means re-programming something basic to the operation of the Chromebook. I saw a website that talked of using the Google contact, and adding a second, real OS to the Chromebook. Do I trust Google? Anyone ever try changing a Chrome Book to a true OS? I have looked at Qubes site, and some have tried to use it. Looks like it has issues.

Yes, I am aware that Core Boot is now from Google, but others review the code, and I am not getting on the internet through a special Google connection, like Chrome book does.

I am on Social Security, which have less effective buying power each month. Many of us are confronting our own version of Poverty.

I wanted to run Linux, not be a pioneer for new problems of implementing BIOS.

Any comments or suggestions?

Moose On The Loose

Re: Anyone have experience programing BIOS?

#2 Post by Moose On The Loose »

purple379 wrote:I
[... about programming bios ...]
Waaaay back in the old IBM-PC days, I wrote some extensions to BIOS.
It turns out to be a bit easier than it first sounds.
This could be a path for the case where you get a BIOS that doesn't quite support everything in the hardware.
Even fairly late versions of BIOS still did the "looking for game cartridge" thing that made early video and harddrive cards work.
This point in the code is an easy place to patch in a low level driver for hardware.
You can jump out to an "unused" area of the ROM to get to your code and then jump back. The change can be made without changing the length of the code section so all addresses remain the same.
If the BIOS does a checksum of the BIOS ROM you will need to adjust for that.

purple379

All ready written

#3 Post by purple379 »

Git hub. Skulls has the specific Core Boot replacement for Lenovo 230. According to notes. It is open case. Attach clip. Something something and it is done. Which is one reason to choose exactly this laptop and no substitutes. Other being it is inexpensive.

Thanks for the reply. Just be easier for me if it would program from flash drive.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

The Lenovo X230 may have a normal legacy bios, if it comes with Windows 7 on it.
The only thing you would need to do is install Linux and change the boot device selection in the bios to first boot from the device Linux is on.
This also applies to Puppy Linux.

If it has a UEFI bios.
Most major Linux OS can boot with no problem.

For Puppy Linux booting.
In the UEFI bios setup.
Disable secure boot and or enable legacy boot.
Depends on the UEFI bios what settings it has.
If it is a new enough UEFI bios it may have CSM settings in the setup. That basically does what legacy boot did.
Anyway, changing these settings in the UEFI bios setup, lets an operating system, without a Windows security key, to boot the computer.

For any ChromeBook computers.
They have a completely different bios.
Here is the best info for Puppy Linux on a ChromeBook.
Chromebook (How to use and put Puppy on a Chromebook)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108246
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

purple379

Can you clarify

#5 Post by purple379 »

Big Pup, Thank you for your reply.

In previously looking through some of the documentation on using a Chromebook to boot Linux, and some Chromebook models, builds are mentioned on the QUBES page. (https://www.qubes-os.org/hcl/) I had thought it appeared as if in some cases that even though one could install an Linux onto the Chromebook, the connection the Chromebook would make to the internet was still through Google. More like AOL used to do. One did not connect to the internet, one would connect to AOL, and then it would connect to the internet. This allowed AOL to monitor, spy on everything one did.

It is also interesting, at one time. The developers of QUBES have spoken about making QUBES to be a cloud option, a bit like Chrome.

No using QUBES is not my only goal, but if I can get to where I can use it, then I can likely use any Linux. I want to a secure Linux based Laptop install, and run a VM on top of that. To me that base Linux install should not be like Ubuntu, or a Linux that is meant to be secure, but has a few part time developers. I had thought to try the free version of : Red Hat, (CentOS). QUBES, (Which requires Core Boot to install Bare Metal, only way it works) Pure OS (which requires Core Boot to install Bare Metal, only way it works) Likely I will end up running Puppy from a Multi-Save DVD option, with a change or two. Although I am not sure Puppy will easily run a VM. Really useful, dependable software requires money. A specific laptop, like the Librem laptop, or to spend money to build something. The laptop I initially mentioned, Lenovo X230, which looks painfully slow with older Intel third generation. When money is so dear to me now, (I am on Social Security). and would have some cost getting Core Boot on it. Then perhaps need to replace Battery, upgrade memory, increase size of main drive. I was looking at the Lenovo X230 because of, https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/certified-hardware/

I thought I would state my goals, limitations and if someone has some other laptop I might purchase.

Big Pup, the question for you, if I used a ChromeBook, am I only connecting through Google Servers before the internet, always. or is it a traditional internet connection? Where I get to choose ISP, DNS, first hop out?

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

I am posting this on my Chromebook running Bionicpup64 8.0 Puppy Linux.
It is connecting to the Internet using nothing but the normal way you connect. Everything is being done by Puppy Linux.
In no way is Google Servers being used.

Well, If I go to Google search to do a search for something.
I am sure Google search is using Google servers.
It is a Google web site.

Chromebooks are OK to run Puppy Linux.
But they are not all the same.
They will boot Puppy Linux, but may require modifying the bios. Not all special buttons on the Chromebook laptop may work in Puppy Linux. But Puppy has programs that will do what those special buttons do.
Sound can be an issue.

There are some laptops similar to Chromebooks, that are normal laptops, but they come with a cut down version of Windows 10. Windows 10s.
Windows 10s has limits to how it is used, that makes money for Microsoft. New software has to come from the Windows Store. They probably give Windows 10s to the manufactures of computers. Thus the low price.

HP makes one called a HP Stream in various sizes.
New they are around $200 in US.
They have normal everything in them.
So using Puppy on them is like any normal computer.
Example:
I got a HP Stream 11" for $129 US.
Deleted Windows 10s and installed Puppy Linux.
It is now a Puppy Linux HP Stream laptop.
The 14" one has a higher price, but still under $200 at that Big Box Store. Wal something :wink:

Deleting Windows 10 does void the warranty.
So, may want to keep until warranty ends.
But Puppy can be installed to an external micro SD card and booted from that. These computers have a micro SD card reader slot.

You can do the same with a ChromeBook.
Deleting Chrome OS will void the warranty.
Keep Chrome OS on the internal eMMC and run Puppy installed on a external micro SD card.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)