Cannot update firefox in Slacko-5.7.0-pae [SOLVED]

Using applications, configuring, problems
Sylvander

Cannot update firefox in Slacko-5.7.0-pae [SOLVED]

#1 Post by Sylvander »

When I click "restart to update Firefox" [Firefox Quantum version 57.0.4 (32 bit)], the system then freezes, and I must ctrl+alt+backspace to reboot and no session changes are saved [my system only saves if I tell it to].
Last edited by Sylvander on Sun 05 Aug 2018, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

I remember this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113833

Try to install libdbus from wheezy as suggested by OscarTalks before updating firefox.

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

watchdog wrote:I remember this thread:
So do I, from this morning.
I don't have wheezy, so I used the link supplied in this post...
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=998581#998581
To go here...
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/libdbus-1-3
Then here...
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/i386/libdbus-1-3/download
And clicked on this...
http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/dbus/libdbus-1-3_1.6.8-1+deb7u6_i386.deb
And downloaded the libdbus deb file:
libdbus-1-3_1.6.8-1+deb7u6_i386.deb
And used ROX-filer to click on it to install it, as per the instructions by OscarTalks in his post where he said:
"Alternatively you could install in /lib which should give it priority over anything in /usr/lib
Actually just clicking the .deb to install should do that.
"
When I did this, the system froze.
Hence, why I'm posting here.

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

I booted a live session without savefile of my slacko 5.7, installed gtk+3 by PPM, installed firefox-61.0.1-en_US-x86-p571.pet from:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 552#999552

and clicked on the Browse button and firefox fired up without problems. My package works for slacko 5.7, too. It installs firefox in /usr/local, has apulse built-in, and uses libdbus from dpup-wheezy. I suggest to try it in a new frugal install. Could be something wrong in your savefile.

Sylvander

#5 Post by Sylvander »

WOOHOO!
That Worked. :D
Didn't need to try a new frugal install.
Now to try and save the session changes.
Wish me luck that they save.
----------------------------------------------------------
a. Clicked "save" icon, and that saved OK. :D
b. Rebooted and chose to save during that, and that worked also. :D
c. Once back into Slacko, when I clicked "Menu->Internet->Firefox 61.0.1", "Firefox 61.0.1" ran and seems to be functioning OK. :D
d. Old "Menu->Internet->Firefox Web Browser" is still there.
Should I get rid of this, and if so how?
e. Ran a video with sound at Youtube OK. :D
----------------------------------------------------------
a. I have a "browse" icon on the desktop that runs "/root/my-applications/bin/firefox_3urls.sh" with the present content in red below:
Originally included 3 url's for the Puppy forums, the PC-Guide forums=[now no longer online], and a Puppy Forums search page.
#!/bin/sh
firefox --new-window http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/

[I need a url for a good Puppy forums search page (Google?)]
If/when I click this, nothing runs, and Slacko no longer shuts down or reboots normally. :(
This isn't much of a problem, because no changes are saved and all is as normal/before once back to the desktop.
I guess I need to specify using "Firefox 61.0.1".
How should that be done?
b. I also have an icon for "firefox-bin".
Haven't tried clicking that yet.
Will get back once I have done so.
Done.
This also causes absence of the ability to save changes= no box [at shutdown/reboot] to choose "save or no save". :(
i.e. White text on black background=halted.
I guess clicking the desktop "save" icon would freeze the system.
I won't attempt it in case it actually saves nasty changes.

mikeslr

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi sylvander,

"d. Old "Menu->Internet->Firefox Web Browser" is still there.
Should I get rid of this, and if so how?

File-browse to /usr/share/applications. You will probably see two ".desktop" files bearing firefox in their names and can probably tell which refers to which application. But just in case, Right-click the one you think pertains to the "old firefox", select "open as text/geany", then edit the line which reads something like "Categories=X-Internet-browser;" to something like "Categories=Z-Internet-browser;". Puppy reads the desktop files to determine if and where to place applications on the Start-menu. Since "Z-Internet-browser" is not a category Puppy recognizes, an application with that placed in that category won't appear. If you guessed wrong, just file-browse back to /usr/share/applications and make the appropriate changes to both the "firefox.desktops".

"[I need a url for a good Puppy forums search page (Google?)]". There are others, but this one doesn't depend on some fan maintaining his/her web-site: https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643 ... #gsc.tab=0

Not sure I understand any other problems you mentioned/questions you have.

mikesLr

Sylvander

#7 Post by Sylvander »

@mikeslr
Regarding:
a. "File-browse to /usr/share/applications. You will probably see two ".desktop" files bearing firefox in their names and can probably tell which refers to which application. But just in case, Right-click the one you think pertains to the "old firefox", select "open as text/geany", then edit the line which reads something like "Categories=X-Internet-browser;" to something like "Categories=Z-Internet-browser;". Puppy reads the desktop files to determine if and where to place applications on the Start-menu. Since "Z-Internet-browser" is not a category Puppy recognizes, an application with that placed in that category won't appear."
a1. The two files are:
Old = firefox.desktop
New = firefox61.desktop
a2. I opened firefox.desktop using Geany, and the line of code reads:
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Network;WebBrowser;
To what would I need to change this?
a3. FYI, in firefox.desktop, there is a line of code as follows:
Exec=firefox_3urls.sh
Aught I to change the line of code in firefox61.desktop that presently reads:
Exec=apulse firefox61 "$@"
To [something like] the above?
This, so that clicking the "browse" icon will open the new firefox at the url's specified in the firefox_3urls.sh file.
a4. In firefox61.desktop, the "Categories=" line of code [fyi] reads:
Categories=X-Internet-browser
I assume this is good, and should be left as is.

b. "There are others, but this one doesn't depend on some fan maintaining his/her web-site..."
Thanks for this, BUT...
I don't understand how to use this, AND...
I previously had been given 2 really nice search pages that were really easy to use.
One was set to search only the Puppy forums [this was the one I used almost exclusively].
The other allowed the user to choose whether to search the WWW or the Puppy forums.
These were 2 of the 3 webpages that opened, each in their own separate window, when I clicked the "browse" icon.
Cannot now remember who it was gave me these search page addresses.
Probably the same person who gave me the 3url's method.
Semme perhaps?
I'll search my PM's to see if there are any clues there.

watchdog

#8 Post by watchdog »

Sylvander wrote: a. I have a "browse" icon on the desktop that runs "/root/my-applications/bin/firefox_3urls.sh" with the present content in red below:

My pet overwrite /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser: so the "Browse" button now starts firefox 61.0.1. You can link /root/my-applications/bin/firefox_3urls.sh to the desktop to start the old firefox or use its menu entry. My pet installs firefox along with the old firefox without interfering with it. Pay attention to use the right profile opening different firefoxs.

mikeslr

#9 Post by mikeslr »

Follow watchdog's advise regarding your other question. Without having tracked down exactly what the code was doing, the only thing I could have said was "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

About the "a2. I opened firefox.desktop using Geany, and the line of code reads:
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Network;WebBrowser;
To what would I need to change this? "

I did track down what Category arguments Puppies recognize while working on developing a Start-Menu under xfce. Most of that knowledge is, by now, a blur; but of the arguments following Categories= [they are separated by the ;'s, and the ; at the end is important if Openbox is your Window's manager] Puppy only recognizes WebBrowser. [The others are vestiges left over from adapting firefox originally having been built for a different OS such as Ubuntu or Slackware].

So you could edit the line to read Categories=xWebBrowser or Categories=zX-Internet-browser. Or use Categories= with nothing following it. Or delete the entire desktop file. What you do only effects what Puppy displays as it becomes a part of your SaveFile/Folder which, having priority in Puppy's 'merge-file system" overrides the argument of the puppy_version_number.sfs that came in the ISO. Unless you remaster, it doesn't make a difference. And I prefer edits which are easily reversible just in case I the future provides a reason to revert. Neither xWebBrowser nor zX-internet-browser are recognized by Puppies; but removing the first letter (x or z) produces an argument which is.

mikesLr

Sylvander

#10 Post by Sylvander »

watchdog wrote:
Sylvander wrote:My pet overwrite /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser...
TRUE. :D
When I use ROX-Filer to run this executable, "firefox 61.0.1" runs.

watchdog wrote:
Sylvander wrote:...so the "Browse" button now starts firefox 61.0.1...
NOT SO. :(
When I click "browse", nothing runs. I expect this happens because it is trying to run the old firefox.
Doing this causes the following problem: at shutdown/reboot there is no window displayed to "choose to save or not to save".
I bet clicking on the desktop "save" icon would also fail [I don't dare attempt it].

watchdog wrote:You can link /root/my-applications/bin/firefox_3urls.sh to the desktop to start the old firefox
firefox_3urls.sh has always run the old firefox, and still does so; installing firefox 61.0.1 didn't change that.
I'd like to eliminate the old firefox and have the "browse" and "firefox-bin" desktop icons run the new "firefox 61.0.1".
Any idea how to do it?

watchdog wrote:...or use its menu entry...
If I use the "old firefox" [i.e. "Firefox Web Browser"] menu entry, I believe it also causes the usual "save" problems, so I avoid using it.
Again, I'd like to eliminate this menu entry. How best to do it?

watchdog wrote:Pay attention to use the right profile opening different firefoxs.
I don't understand what this means; could you explain?

Sylvander

#11 Post by Sylvander »

mikeslr wrote:Follow watchdog's advise regarding your other question.
To which question do you refer I wonder?
The Puppy search page?
Semme sent me a PM giving....http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html.
I LIKE this. :D
He also sent a link to the following post...
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=850367#850367
This thread was that which explained how to do the "3urls" stuff.
I may be forced to re-read all of that. :(
This stuff is now difficult at my now advanced age [71 years]

mikeslr wrote:the only thing I could have said was "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
The old firefox IS BROKEN and needs eliminated, and the dektop icons need to run the new "firefox 61.0.1".

mikeslr wrote:Or delete the entire desktop file.
This would be my preferred final option, but at first I may only edit the content as you specify.
Unfortunately this only deals with the menu entry, and I'd also like to fix the 2 desktop icons ["browse" and "firefox-bin"], and also eliminate all the files for the old firefox that are using space in the "slackosave" file [it's down to 364M free space in a 2GB file, after installing the new firefox].

watchdog

#12 Post by watchdog »

watchdog wrote:My pet overwrite /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser...
TRUE. :D
When I use ROX-Filer to run this executable, "firefox 61.0.1" runs.

watchdog wrote:...so the "Browse" button now starts firefox 61.0.1...
NOT SO. :(
When I click "browse", nothing runs. I expect this happens because it is trying to run the old firefox.
Doing this causes the following problem: at shutdown/reboot there is no window displayed to "choose to save or not to save".
I bet clicking on the desktop "save" icon would also fail [I don't dare attempt it].
It is not the standard behaviour: right click the Browse button and choose Show location. Report here. Allthough you can remove the item Browse button from desktop, link /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser to the desktop and rename again it Browse. This should do the trick.

watchdog wrote:You can link /root/my-applications/bin/firefox_3urls.sh to the desktop to start the old firefox
firefox_3urls.sh has always run the old firefox, and still does so; installing firefox 61.0.1 didn't change that.
I'd like to eliminate the old firefox and have the "browse" and "firefox-bin" desktop icons run the new "firefox 61.0.1".
Any idea how to do it?
If I had your PC here I'm sure I would successfully remove your old firefox. But explaining how to do it is more complicated. You should browse your filesystem to see were the old firefox is installed and remove folders and related files. If you remove the /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop and restart X then your old firefox disappear from menu but its files are still in the filesystem. Have considered to go through a new frugal install? A cleaner install require less time and is sometimes recommended.

watchdog wrote:Pay attention to use the right profile opening different firefoxs.
I don't understand what this means; could you explain?
When an instance of firefox is required then it authomatically uses the /root/.mozilla profile which is always the same. You should backup the /root/.mozilla profile with other suffixs and use the right profile before starting different versions of firefox by renaming the right profile back to /root/.mozilla. For example you can save a /root/.mozilla-firefox61.0.1 and a /root/.mozilla-oldfirefox. Before starting the new firefox, for example, remove the /root/.mozilla folder and copy /root/.mozilla-firefox61.0.1 to /root/.mozilla again. Using only a firefox is simpler and recommended because the profile is always the same.

Sylvander

#13 Post by Sylvander »

watchdog wrote:right click the Browse button and choose Show location. Report here.
It shows:
"~/my-applications/bin/firefox_3urls.sh" which I find in Xfe as "/root/my-applications/bin/firefox_3urls.sh".

watchdog wrote:...If I had your PC here I'm sure I would successfully remove your old firefox...
Semme is going to use TeamViewer to do the necessary for me.
We'll arrange a session this weekend sometime.

watchdog wrote:When an instance of firefox is required then it authomatically uses the /root/.mozilla profile which is always the same. You should backup the /root/.mozilla profile with other suffixs and use the right profile before starting different versions of firefox by renaming the right profile back to /root/.mozilla. For example you can save a /root/.mozilla-firefox61.0.1 and a /root/.mozilla-oldfirefox. Before starting the new firefox, for example, remove the /root/.mozilla folder and copy /root/.mozilla-firefox61.0.1 to /root/.mozilla again.
I get the general idea, but what I don't get is how/why/what are the differences between the two.
I have 2 different firefox's on Slacko right now; where are the 2 profiles for these right now?
Or, is there [right now] only one profle that is used by each of the 2 firefox's?

watchdog wrote:Using only a [single?] firefox is simpler and recommended because the profile is always the same.
Sounds good to me.

watchdog

#14 Post by watchdog »

Sylvander wrote:1.
watchdog wrote:right click the Browse button and choose Show location. Report here.
It shows:
"~/my-applications/bin/firefox_3urls.sh" which I find in Xfe as "/root/my-applications/bin/firefox_3urls.sh".
Normally the Browse button is instead a link to /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser. You can remove the item Browse button from desktop, link back /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser to the desktop and rename again it Browse. This should do the trick.
watchdog wrote:...If I had your PC here I'm sure I would successfully remove your old firefox...
Semme is going to use TeamViewer to do the necessary for me.
We'll arrange a session this weekend sometime.
You can trust Semme.
watchdog wrote:When an instance of firefox is required then it authomatically uses the /root/.mozilla profile which is always the same. You should backup the /root/.mozilla profile with other suffixs and use the right profile before starting different versions of firefox by renaming the right profile back to /root/.mozilla. For example you can save a /root/.mozilla-firefox61.0.1 and a /root/.mozilla-oldfirefox. Before starting the new firefox, for example, remove the /root/.mozilla folder and copy /root/.mozilla-firefox61.0.1 to /root/.mozilla again.
I get the general idea, but what I don't get is how/why/what are the differences between the two.
I have 2 different firefox's on Slacko right now; where are the 2 profiles for these right now?
Or, is there [right now] only one profle that is used by each of the 2 firefox's?
I think you are using now one profile that is used by each of the 2 firefox's.

Sylvander

#15 Post by Sylvander »

watchdog wrote:Normally the Browse button is instead a link to /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser. You can remove the item Browse button from desktop...
I'd rather keep the "browse" button as is, and have it continue to be linked to the 3urls file, and perhaps modify the code inside the 3urls file, so as to launch windows of the NEW "firefox 61.0.1" at certain specified sites/pages [when I click on the "browse" icon].
I guess Semme will do this during our TeamViewer session.
But I'll keep this alternative in mind.
It increases my knowledge and understanding, which is always good. :D
By the way, using ROX to click on "/usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser" it launches "firefox 61.0.1" [as it aught?]

watchdog wrote:I think you are using now one profile that is used by each of the 2 firefox's.
Understood.

Mike Walsh

#16 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ sylvander:-

There is of course fredx181's 'Firefox Quantum portable', which runs from a single directory.....which you can 'install' anywhere you like. So long as you start it from the included 'ff' script at first run, it sets up the Firefox profile within that directory, and thus remains totally self-contained.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112376

If you place the extracted 'firefox32' directory in /opt, you can use my attached FF_Quantum(opt) MenuEntry .pet to start it from the Menu on second, and subsequent starts.

I'm running a single instance of this from a remote data partition, sym-linked into multiple Puppies. Posting from it now.

Entirely up to you, of course.

Mike. :wink:
Attachments
FF_Quantum(opt)-MenuEntry.pet
FF Quantum Menu entry...
(77.34 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

Sylvander

#17 Post by Sylvander »

Thanks for this Mike, but since I already have "firefox 61.0.1" functioning, I think I'll keep your suggestion in reserve.
I do like portable programs and SFS files, but not right now in this case methinks.

Today I'm going to be working with Semme by PM.
Will report back here on the results.

Sylvander

#18 Post by Sylvander »

Semme has used TeamViewer [version 12.0.85001-i686.sfs on my PC] to do lots of useful stuff on my PC.
I've asked him to report here what was done so that all can benefit from the knowledge, and possibly some increased understanding.
I'd be interested to know and understand also.

All is working nicely to my liking. :D

How do I add [SOLVED] to the title?

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Sylvander. Glad to hear you're 'sorted'.....and that my TeamViewer package came in useful.

To mark as 'Solved':-

1.) Go to your original post.
2.) Click on 'Edit' (only you can do this).
3.) In the 'Title' field at the top, just add 'Solved' at the end. (Or [Solved]. Or [SOLVED]. I'm sure you get the idea... :) )

Hope that helps for future reference.

Mike. :wink:

Sylvander

#20 Post by Sylvander »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hi, Sylvander. Glad to hear you're 'sorted'.....and that my TeamViewer package came in useful.-
Yes indeed, thank you for that. :D

Mike Walsh wrote:To mark as 'Solved':-
Done.