Which Puppy for this computer?

Booting, installing, newbie
bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

use Slimjet, which is a chromium derivative. I installed it from a .deb package. There is one problem. Youtube videos drive the cpu to 98% and the video, of course, jumps badly. If I close the youtube page the cpu comes down.
Is this on the P4 computer in the first post?
Pepper Flash Player is maintained by Google, and is newer than Adobe Flash Player. Adobe currently still provides security fixes for Adobe Flash Player. Google provides newer features in Pepper Flash Player. Pepper Flash Player can currently only be used with Chromium (and with Chrome).
Pepper Flash is usually built into the browser.
That is probably why you are seeing different versions.

I have a P4 processor computer.

Anything I watch on You Tube has to be at a quality setting of 360p to make it run smooth.

The video driver you use can also be a factor.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

I, too, run a P4.....on an old Dell Inspiron laptop. With 1 GB of RAM.....and the most god-awful video adapter Intel ever turned out. The 82845 'Express' graphics chip. :twisted: !!! As mike will tell you, they said 'Stuff it' to VESA standards, and more or less chucked the rule book in the bin when these things were made. They are the most diabolical contraptions ever devised... :roll:

I agree with bigpup about the driver/hardware, etc. But with integrated solutions, you are kinda stuck.

If I try watching vids on mine, it runs pretty well flatout. And that's despite the fact that Intel essentially built the P4s to be good at multimedia; and pretty much nothing else.

The limited instruction set doesn't help, either. SSE2's only; not good!!

Regards,

Mike. :wink:

paul1149

#18 Post by paul1149 »

I'm confused about the flash business, and have posted to the Slimjet forum about it. The only flash listed at plugins is Adobe. Pepper is not mentioned. I'm not at the Bang box right now, but here in Win7 Slimjet says adobe flash player v 18.

Yes, the P4 has an intel chip, and I'm using the MB's onboard chip for video (tried an accelerator card but it didn't play well), and there don't seem to be dedicated Linux drivers for it.

I disabled hardware acceleration in SJ, and now the CPU is down in the 60%'s. Not good, but better. Hopefully I'll get an answer over in the SJ forum.

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Paul.

Re: Adobe vs Pepperflash. Yah, it is a wee bit confusing. The reason Adobe's Flash Player is the one that's mentioned in the 'Plugins' section is because, well.....it is their player!

It's known as Pepperflash because that's what Google have called the flash player that's resulted from their exclusive agreement with Adobe, for having an up-to-date version for the Linux Chrome/Chromium browser. It's all down to the NPAPI/PPAPI business; 'in-process'(NPAPI), as opposed to 'out-of-process'(PPAPI). I'm not certain about the difference, but I believe it's something to do with the 'sandboxing' that Google have been applying to their version of the Chromium browser (which is where all the cutting edge development work goes on; Google take the newest stable version, apply their extra 'stuff' to it, and release it as Chrome.) Because flashplayer is so prone to hacking, it's been considered safer to run it inside a sandbox whenever it's required ('out-of process', as opposed to 'in-process').....

FlashPlayer is always bundled in with Chrome. If you run Chromium, as you're probably aware, you need to install the flash player separately. For Chromium, 'pepperflash (libpepflashplayer.so) is usually found in /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins. For Chrome, it tends to get installed to the /opt folder.....which is usually where FireFox also gets installed to). If you poke around inside the 'Google' directory, you'll find the Pepperflash plugin somewhere inside it.

For FF, of course, which in the normal course of things is stuck with the 11.2.202 version of the Adobe FlashPlayer, you'll usually find it (libflashplayer.so), in the /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin directory. It gets more complex, however, as there's now something called the 'Fresh-Player Plugin', which will allow FF to use the up-to-date version of the Pepperflash plugin.....

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98203

It's simple enough once you understand the differences, and where to find them. One of our forum members, peebee, regularly releases Puppy versions of Chromium, with the most up-to-date version of pepperflash bundled in with it. Myself, I've discovered that it's quite possible to use older versions of Chrome/Chromium with the newest Pepperflash; in my Slacko 570 install, I'm currently running Chromium 36 (with came with 14.0.0.145) with the newest version (18.0.0.194)..... Simply a case of finding a download of the current version of Chrome, opening with Xarchive, finding the libpepflashplayer.so file, and replacing the existing one with it.

Works a treat.

Regards,

Mike. :wink:

paul1149

#20 Post by paul1149 »

Thank you very much, Mike, for that great explo. I understand some of it. The thing I don't get, though, is that I have seen shots of the chrome://plugin page that showed the adobe flash player identified as pepperflash when its Details were expanded, but I have none of that. I've avoided dealing with this today, as I spent the day recharging my personal "batteries" (in the Lord). Tomorrow I hope to make some progress. Meanwhile the machine has been fine so far for my friend, which is a good sign.

Slimjet works a bit differently than Chromium. It comes prepacked with flash. I thought it was pepper, but now I'm not sure. I know that it's on chromium 42, as the N plugins are not supported (by default). (It will stay on 42 until 44 comes out because of the OK Google mess 43 has.) Thus some of my confusion.

Yes, the whereabouts of various things in linux is a big problem for me at this point, whereas I know Windows very well. But I'm sure it will come in time.

Be well,
Paul

mikeb

#21 Post by mikeb »

FYI I use firefox 3.6 and flash 10.0.15 on most machines...sometimes seamonkey 2.9.1 and flash 10.3.xxx the latter keeps some awkward sites happy.

Acceleration depends on the hardware...if you did get opengl drivers working on that intel it might work though I get the feeling it won't..the hardware range is less on linux. There is some 2d acceleration techniques...again requiring the right driver and that varies from xorg to xorg.
A messy picture...download the crap as mp4 with a browser addon and play smoothly with anything and you are free of this junk..I have flash disabled most of the time now.

As an aside i am waiting for my first flash hijack...what was definitely a security problem was/is that malware can use the windows mechanism (active x/IE) to automatically download and run their virii... all thats needed it a pretend certificate...perphaps now you have to click 'yes please thats all'

No one on this forum has reported any malware via browsers in the last 10 years so don't let that aspect affect your choices.

mike

paul1149

#22 Post by paul1149 »

Revisited the Bang install yesterday. Solid and stable, except for this problem and one new one. Wine is installed but does not show anywhere. And while I was able to install Slimjet/windows under Wine (for comparison purposes), it would not go online.

As much as I like this install, I'm think I'm going to opt for a different distro in this case, to resolve these problems and to provide a bit more standard desktop.

Thanks.