PuppyBang Linux 6.0.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gychang

Re: PuppyBang Linux 6.0.3

#16 Post by gychang »

puppylinuxworld wrote:Hi All

I hope this will be good enough to encourage people to run this from a USB thumb drive and get some pleasure from it. Please let me know your thoughts and comments.

LinuxHelpGuy aka PuppyLinuxWorld
This is great. I have been watching your channel for long time and I am a puppy convert, like many in the world, u have been THE man.

I am using this as a frugal install on my HD, along with Peppermint6 and win7.

lemmy999

#17 Post by lemmy999 »

Loving this respin!!

Just a couple of issues

1. I can't get the DVD to boot into PuppyBang!! I have a couple of savefiles in SDB6 ( my Puppy partition) and even if i select option 0 ( don't use any save file) it still doesnt load as per your Youtube Video . I took the DVD to work today and it booted fine on a Windows machine.

2. If I run the DVD on my PC at home it doesn't show the resolution I use ( 1920 x 1080). Biggest I can get is 1600 x 1050 IIRC

3. Also doesn't detect my NIC

I really like this and want to iron out these issues

Update
Pfix=ram sorted out all the problems I was having. Loving this respin. Skype works well which is a real bonus. Only issue is palemoon. Latest version seems to kill my CPU after a while. I have had to go back to firefox which seems to play nicely on my PC

toomanyquestions

Pretty Nice

#18 Post by toomanyquestions »

I'm quite happy you used openbox, but was a little disappointed that fbpanel was used instead of tint2. Is it possible for me to manually replace fbpanel? I got the impression fbpanel is integrated w/openbox, and therefore it would be unwise to attempt a separation. :(

If I'm stuck with fbpanel, is it possible to comment out the panel's config shortcut? I checked pfbpanel.conf and couldn't locate the appropriate variable....

My comments & questions aside, PuppyBang is certainly a nice little distro.

rokytnji

#19 Post by rokytnji »

I'm quite happy you used openbox, but was a little disappointed that fbpanel was used instead of tint2. Is it possible for me to manually replace fbpanel? I got the impression fbpanel is integrated w/openbox, and therefore it would be unwise to attempt a separation.
I have ran either or, on Antix. fbpanel has to stay. just don't run it and run tint2 instead.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#20 Post by Lobster »

Just to recommend the Masterclass videos.

If new to Puppy, a note book, a bit of time and confidence in installing ALL recent Puppys would ensue.

Good job :D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

toomanyquestions

Added tint2

#21 Post by toomanyquestions »

rokytnji wrote:I have ran either or, on Antix. fbpanel has to stay. just don't run it and run tint2 instead.
I found the openbox autostart file comparatively complex, hence my initial hesitation. Eventually, I installed tint2 w/the puppy package manager, removed the fbpanel config files, deleted all references to the fbpanel in the autostart file, and deleted the fbpanel's /usr/bin files. It's interesting that fluxbox elements still work (e.g. wallpaper switcher). At any rate, my desktop looks better. It certainly is nice that puppy can save changes!!
Lobster wrote:recommend the Masterclass videos
I agree the videos presented a great walk-through.

hamoudoudou

You Tube didn't help.

#22 Post by hamoudoudou »

You Tube didn't help. The man is speaking with allways the same background. I didn't unterstood anything, was it funny ? the man laughed.
Nevertheless perhaps PuppyBang Linux is worth to be downloaded.

lemmy999

Palemoon/Firefox issue

#23 Post by lemmy999 »

If I visit a certain UK site ( guardian.co.uk) both of these browsers crash!! Very strange, i have never seen this issue using Puppy for several years. Chrome is fine with the site :?

Don604

Small screen on EeePC

#24 Post by Don604 »

Thanks for an excellent release of PuppyBang Linux. I've searched around for a bit and it looks like a fine work, and went in pretty well.

In setting up, I let the system guess the resolution and it did great at 800x480 which is pretty small. In fact, so small that many dialogue boxes fail to display on the screen and run off the bottom. There appears to be no way to get to buttons (i.e. disable Conky) beyond the bottom of the screen. This is not unique to BangPup.

Also successfully learned how to install on an SDcard, so now the system boots and runs off of SD card, and looks just like any other laptop in that regard. No more USB hanging off the side.

So, thanks for a great OS that is bringing life to this old Netbook. :D

cthisbear

#25 Post by cthisbear »

" In setting up, I let the system guess the resolution and it did great at 800x480 which is pretty small. "

Try Xorgwizard in setup.....

Choose resolution >> 768 x 600 x 24 ??? I think.
24 equals a higher resolution quality.

Hit Enter....see how you go.

" old Netbook." Tell us the model mate.

Did you watch his videos?>>>> where he announced it.
Might also help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfFvU-c ... e=youtu.be

Welcome to Puppy.

Chris.
Last edited by cthisbear on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

Don604

#26 Post by Don604 »

Thanks for getting back to me on this. Not a huge deal or anything, but just a heads up more than anything else.

I am running an Asus Eee 701 (http://www.cnet.com/au/products/asus-eeepc-701/) which has a native screen size of 800x480. The wizards did a fine job in guessing the size, but I think the overall design is not intended for this small of a screen height -- hence the challenges with dialogue boxes.

Watched all the videos before installing.

It really is running well, and on such a small machine (90Mhz, 512MB, 4GB SSD), it runs really well. I'm running it from an SD card, and it boots and runs as well as most computers with HDD.

Great job!

cthisbear

#27 Post by cthisbear »

" which has a native screen size of 800x480 "

::::::::::

Don604....try what I said.

A mate has a little Asus 7" netbook.

Which I tested on years ago.

Try Xorgwizard in setup.....
which takes you to a black screen with a dialogue...think >>>> Dos

Choose resolution >> 768 x 600 x 24 ??? I think

Hit Enter....see how you go.

Chris.

Don604

Asus Eee Screen Resolution

#28 Post by Don604 »

I tried the wizard as recommended. It did not offer anything with a greater vertical resolution than 400.

800x400 is the maximum size offered, and then it drops to 720x450, 640x480 and so on.

Unless dialogues/menus are turned into scrollable offerings, then it won't do much good to shrink the screen size. Best bet for me for configuration is to attach a monitor, it would seem.

Nevertheless I did try 720x450 as a test. The screen went blank, and it looks like it's time to do a hard reboot to recover the situation. Fortunately, I powered it off and rebooted and the settings weren't saved on the SDcard.

Don604

Adjusting Battery Capacity?

#29 Post by Don604 »

The original battery for my Asus Eee netbook is a 5200maH item. Being old, it has only a half-life, so I bought a replacement, with 10000maH.

So, the new battery is in, but it isn't reporting from the battery icon in the tray with any different capacity than the original.

Is there a way to adjust the battery amp-hour capacity at boot time so the reporting is more accurate? At this point, I fear that when I hit 50%, it will think the battery is empty based upon aH consumption, as opposed to current voltage level.

Thanks, Don

mini-jaguar

#30 Post by mini-jaguar »

cthisbear wrote:Downloaded...cos I Luv the cat.
Same here, it's an awesome wallpaper. And some of the other wallpapers in it are pretty cool too.

A bit chubby, but it has lots of useful programs like VLC and GIMP. Openshot was bugging, just like it does in other distros. I couldn't find the ALSA mixer and was having some problems with some of the colour combinations that made the text under the icons hard to see in certain windows. I didn't spend that much time trying to customise it, but I did eventually find some combination which was not too bad.

Don604

QUESTION: Modifying file contents

#31 Post by Don604 »

In looking around, I see that in ../sys/class/power_supply/BAT0 there are the files that constitute the configuration for the battery. It looks like all files in there are READ only, and so I'm wondering:

- what is writing into those files?
- can I override the permissions and write in my own values?
- is there an easy way to display on the desktop (every 5 minutes) the contents of "voltage_now"?

I'm thinking these files are on the SDcard image, and not really modifiable unless one remasters the image. It is just that my battery is 10400maH and the system thinks it is 5200maH, resulting in odd things happening.

Thanks, Don

cthisbear

#32 Post by cthisbear »

Working with Netflix after adding newer Chrome Pet.
Bottom post.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 437#863437

Chris.

toomanyquestions

Re: PuppyBang Linux 6.0.3

#33 Post by toomanyquestions »

Does Puppybang use window compositor? I've tried to start one, only to be warned one is already running. Yet my xfce4 panel & re-worked conky setup (a simple free form text config) are not showing the effects of a window compositor at all.

rcrsn51

#34 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Don604: Check out Batterup.

Billtoo

PuppyBang Linux 6.0.3

#35 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal installation to a 32gb usb-3.0 flash drive, pc is an HP
desktop:

root# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: tahrpup, version 6.0.2

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5550/5570/5630/6510/6610/7570]

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe
Drivers requested to be loaded: fglrx

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): fglrx
Loaded modules: amdxmm dbe ddc extmod fb fglrxdrm glesx glx kbd mouse ramdac vbe vgahw

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 3840x1080 pixels (1015x285 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
root#

No problems.
Thanks
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(44.56 KiB) Downloaded 1343 times