ICAAN

For discussions about security.
labbe5

ICAAN

#1 Post by labbe5 »

https://www.respectourprivacy.com/

What we see here is an another attack to our privacy, this time organised by ICANN, which is the overseer of Internet.

The new rule proposed could ruin the privacy of domain holders, which would be very bad for a lot of small businesses operated from households.

Can you imagine your name, address and phone number in plain view? You just type in a WHOIS request for a particular domain, and you have this information available. Normally, you request a WHOIS protection to prevent such information to be known by anybody, and ICANN proposes to lift that protection for businesses, for anybody to see who you are, where you live, and what your phone number is.

This is clearly an attack to our right to privacy online. But even inside ICANN, there is no consensus. This is why ICANN is opened to comments from netizens. Iinput from general public will be considered in the final decision, to be taken after the 7th of July of this year.

The above address will provide you with information about how you can submit a commentary, or make a statement about why you oppose such a decision.

bark_bark_bark

#2 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I think the Copyright Cult is behind all of this.

Burn_IT

#3 Post by Burn_IT »

I thought that information has always been available.
Besides it is not a bad idea since it stops bad site owners hiding behind anonymity.
I certainly know my information was available when I owned a site and it never caused me any hassle other that the normal pestering everyone on the web is open to.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

bark_bark_bark

#4 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Burn_IT wrote:I thought that information has always been available.
Besides it is not a bad idea since it stops bad site owners hiding behind anonymity.
I certainly know my information was available when I owned a site and it never caused me any hassle other that the normal pestering everyone on the web is open to.
Just because "bad" sites have anonymity, doesn't mean that other sites shouldn't!

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

Why??

There is a big difference between sites and the people who visit them!

Even Anonymous get more publicity from being "banned" than they would otherwise.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Privacy protection as far as I know is not to hide those doing illegal things...they are traceable regardless.... its simply personal privacy and to keep weirdos at bay... yes we get them now and then but only via email forms and not sending crap to our home address or calling our home phone.

After all being ex directory does not stop the police getting your number or address does it...its just to stop cold callers and such.... though seems to not work so well nowadays :(

mike

Burn_IT

#7 Post by Burn_IT »

My home phone is ex-directory and has always been since we got married and we used to get stalking calls. That was many moves ago, but we just kept up the habit.
We are also registered with the TPS and the MPS, but that does not completely stop either, though we DO report companies that ignore them.

I had a web site with my company address and phone number on it.
They were both ghost details that were redirected to my home, which costs little considering the security and eventual privacy when stopped.

bark_bark_bark

#8 Post by bark_bark_bark »

If I were to write a blog concerning controversial views, I wouldn't want people to be able to get my name and address and harass me.

Again we need ICANN to respect the privacy of web admins no matter what.