efi stuff?????

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
scsijon

efi stuff?????

#1 Post by scsijon »

Hi all,

I've found a few efi / uefi / gnu-efi aware user tools, system tools and development tools and the like while tracing a problem on one of my clients networks. BAD learning curve!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to have to start again and read documentation properly by not skipping bits so I understand just what is what and relative to where! 106 a4 pages of incoherant notes currently with cross-referances on just about every page is the mess I have.

I had to compile some to sort it out for them, so I was wondering if it was worth recompiling them for puppy and just where to put them!

Overall problem was mixing efi and mbr on the same box, basically it shouldn't be done as when it fails it really does fail horribly!

Packages such like efibootmgr (think of grub on steroids), grub2-efi, rEFInd, efiShell, gnu-efi (efi app builder), gptfdisk (also called gdisk in some docs) and one or two others are on my list. Some are X86-64 only, some are also x86 (IA32) and some can be compiled for IA64. In any case i'll add them to the packagelist on T2's site as I go if they are not already there.

I figure one thread for now so bits don't get missed, although that may get a little messy with updates in the future, and also a number of packages we use now will need to have efi enabled in their compile configs to be of propper use.

?So, do I put them under Cutting Edge as i'm considering as the most relevant at present, or should they be under Additional Software, and if so which sub-topic?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Let's leave this thread in Cutting edge for now. It can be moved to another location once you've got it filled out, if that seems better.