Mintpup (THREAD CLOSED)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
saintless

#121 Post by saintless »

otoshan wrote:How can i full remove jwm and install xfce4?
Remove Jwm with:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get purge jwm
apt-get autoremove
Install xfce:

apt-get install xfce4
Edit /root/.xsession and /home/puppy/.xsession to start xfce4 instead jwm.
I'm not 100% sure but I think the line should be:

exec xfce4-session
If you changed /home/puppy/.xsession from root acount restore the owner with:

chown -R puppy:puppy /home/puppy
Can i use remasterdog from debiandog?
No. Linix Mint/Ubuntu system structure is different from Debian.
Use from terminal:

/opt/bin/rematser-mint-cli
It works very well for remastering. It will create working directory on your boot partition (where /casper folder is with vmlinuz, initrd.lz inside). You can change the drive by editing the script. There is a message anout that starting the script.
Or test the attached remasterdog with mods for Mint. But compare the result with remaster-mint-cli. This GUI version is not well tested yet. Start it from terminal to check for errors.

Toni
Attachments
remasterdog-mintpup.zip
(2.81 KiB) Downloaded 295 times

saintless

#122 Post by saintless »

Just to make clear for everyone I'm not going to improve or update MintPup-Porteus-base-01-hybrid.iso. It is just a base for anyone inetrested to use it for building something better.

What I'm trying to make from the same base iso is similar version of DD-Jwm-Icewm compatible with Ubuntu repository (Mint repository is just extra addition for me). I will remove the higher Mint repository priority to restore full compatibility with Ubuntu packages. Anyway it will be easy to edit the configuration files to give Mint repository higher priority again.
I will include also IceWm (it adds only 1,5Mb extra) and most of the programs and utilities included in DD-Jwm.

Toni

mcewanw

#123 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:What I'm trying to make from the same base iso is similar version of DD-Jwm-Icewm compatible with Ubuntu repository (Mint repository is just extra addition for me).
That's great to hear, Toni, I was hoping you would put that one together. Also good to have the current MintPup base iso as a basis for other versions.

William
github mcewanw

wanderer

#124 Post by wanderer »

saintless

thanks for making Mintpup
its a great base
and a great accomplishment

it gives all of us
a lot to learn about and play with

thanks again
wanderer

saintless

#125 Post by saintless »

Important information for anyone using official casper-boot (initrd.lz).
Add union=aufs to the boot code otherwise loading sfs/squashfs modules after boot doesn't work. Seems Ubuntu and Mint use by default overlayfs instead aufs and loadmodule and loadsfs scripts do not work without union=aufs.
I guess there was a reason to change it with overlayfs but I don't think I will be able to mod loading sfs scripts to work well with overlayfs.
Porteus initrd1.xz uses aufs by default and this problem is missing there.

Toni

fredx181

#126 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,

About installing xfce4:
Code:
exec xfce4-session
I'm also not 100% sure (didn't test on MintPup) but I think it should be:

exec startxfce4
Fred

mcewanw

Scratch 2.x installation on MintPup or DebianDog

#127 Post by mcewanw »

I have provided a quick HowTo on how I installed Scratch version 2.x 'kids' programming environment, in addition to Adobe Air (which Scratch version 2.x requires as a dependency) here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 503#857503

As I mention in the HowTo, I didn't perform the installations on clean systems (meaning I already had many other programs installed), so I cannot guarantee the instructions will work, but worked for me...

William
github mcewanw

saintless

Re: Scratch 2.x installation on MintPup or DebianDog

#128 Post by saintless »

mcewanw wrote:As I mention in the HowTo, I didn't perform the installations on clean systems (meaning I already had many other programs installed), so I cannot guarantee the instructions will work, but worked for me...
Thanks William.
Quck tested on my working version of MintPup shows the adobe installer confirmation window starts but 2,5 Gb free space is not enough and I can't test it further yet.
What you can add is installing lsb-release before using the script. It checks first:

lsb_release -rs
Lsb-release is missing in DD and MintPup and the script exits with error the system is not supported.

Toni

saintless

#129 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:About installing xfce4:
Code:
exec xfce4-session
I'm also not 100% sure (didn't test on MintPup) but I think it should be:

exec startxfce4
Thanks Fred.

Both work for me to start X in MintPup-base after apt-get install xfce4:

exec xfce4-session

exec startxfce4
Toni

otoshan

#130 Post by otoshan »

By default apt-get update have 2 errors.

W: GPG error: http://extra.linuxmint.com rebecca Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 3EE67F3D0FF405B2
W: GPG error: http://packages.linuxmint.com rebecca Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 3EE67F3D0FF405B2
Also i try to install add-apt-repository

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common python-software-properties
but when i add repo i have this error

mint@mint / $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:peterlevi/ppa

(process:4200): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
	Using the fallback 'C' locale.
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
  warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSources/mintSources.py", line 9, in <module>
    import aptsources.distro
ImportError: No module named aptsources.distro

saintless

#131 Post by saintless »

I have to repeat again:
saintless wrote:Just to make clear for everyone I'm not going to improve or update MintPup-Porteus-base-01-hybrid.iso. It is just a base for anyone inetrested to use it for building something better.
I'm not going to test your problems using the same base iso.
Please, use MintPup-Porteus-base-01-hybrid.iso as it is and try to fix the problems searching in google. Or wait someone to build more user friendly version from the base iso. Or use official Linux Mint 17.1.
otoshan wrote:By default apt-get update have 2 errors.

W: GPG error: http://extra.linuxmint.com rebecca Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 3EE67F3D0FF405B2
W: GPG error: http://packages.linuxmint.com rebecca Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 3EE67F3D0FF405B2
The warning messages do not prevent installing packages from Mint repo and you can ignore them, but I already gave the fix here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 149#855149
otoshan wrote:Also i try to install add-apt-repository

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common python-software-properties
but when i add repo i have this error

mint@mint / $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:peterlevi/ppa

(process:4200): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
	Using the fallback 'C' locale.
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
  warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSources/mintSources.py", line 9, in <module>
    import aptsources.distro
ImportError: No module named aptsources.distro
Similar problem with Mint shows the solution:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=180552
The official mint solution is to install mintsystem package with all dependencies.
The unofficial solution is to install only what is needed:

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common python-software-properties python-apt ca-certificates lsb-release
Then you can add ppa:

puppy@mint ~ $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:peterlevi/ppa
You are about to add the following PPA to your system:
 Contains packages for the Variety wallpaper changer
http://launchpad.net/variety
 More info: https://launchpad.net/~peterlevi/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it

Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --homedir /tmp/tmp.JzhSr79IK7 --no-auto-check-trustdb --trust-model always --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys A546BE4F
gpg: requesting key A546BE4F from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key A546BE4F: public key "Launchpad PPA for Peter Levi" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1  (RSA: 1)
puppy@mint ~ $ 
But installing packages from unofficial repositories could break the system.

Toni

otoshan

#132 Post by otoshan »

Thank you saintless. This is everything i needed

saintless

#133 Post by saintless »

Hi William, Fred, Wanderer, Otoshan and anyone interested from MintPup project.

This is my preview iso for MintPup-jwm-icewm:
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/Mi ... 7.2015.iso
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/MintPup/
It has active mintpup repository for providing fixes and extra packages with apt-get.
/usr/share/locale and man, doc, info files available as separate modules for download (also with included sfs-get-MintPup).
The DEVX module includes also add-apt-repository packages:
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/Mi ... a-modules/
Loading the module only for adding new PPA repo and unloading the module keeping the PPA repo active works from limited testing.

If you are familiar with DebianDog-Jwm you will not have troubles to use MintPup-Jwm iso.
The default wallpaper on desktop 1 is my choice but the other desktops have wallpapers from futwerk.
All mintpup wallpapers available here:
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/Mi ... reenshots/
Included frugal and full installers working well from limited testing.

The iso is bigger compred to DebianDog but I'm not sure I can remove more without breaking something. The locales package is included. I keep also the en files in /usr/share/locale just in case. Removing locales package gives warnings while installing packages and I prefer to keep it included.
Remastering GUI scripts work (but I prefer to use remaster-mint-cli because it is well tested in MintPup).

Maybe Fred will be interested to test save on EXIT typing reboot in terminal with activated xdm (typing xdm-start). Seems to work here without problems with console dialog choice to save or not but I don't know what is the reason.

Anyway test and enjoy. If you find problems or fixes post them here. Most probably this iso will be updated and providing fixes is easy having special mintpup repo active. If it works well for you we can start separate thread or just continue posting here.

Toni

slavvo67

#134 Post by slavvo67 »

This is pretty good. It's not a true pup as it doesn't seem to handle .pet packages but it's still pretty nice.

One question: I didn't see a Firewall program included. Is there one? How do I know?

Best,

Slavvo67

mcewanw

#135 Post by mcewanw »

slavvo67 wrote:This is pretty good. It's not a true pup as it doesn't seem to handle .pet packages but it's still pretty nice.
It's a Linux Mint compatible "Puppy-lookalike" in the mold of DebianDog-jwm. Like full Debian/Ubuntu/LinuxMint it uses apt-get package management (dpkg underneath) so proper dpkg package management database with apt keeping track of all dependencies etc.

It would be pretty much impossible to combine a second package manager such as PetGet since dpkg database wouldn't be able to keep track of pets being installed by PetGet. However, like DebianDog, this new iso of Toni does have the commandline utility pet2deb for converting dotpets into deb packages, which in theory can then be installed using dpkg. However, in practice, it is better to only use apt package manager and with official Mint/Ubuntu repositories since dotpets converted to debs may overwrite existing Mint/Ubuntu packages and damage the system.

pet2deb is still useful for simple pets such as most gtkdialog-based Puppy utilities however since most of these are nothing more than simple scripts that call underlying utilities (these underlying utilities, such as for example, ffmpeg should be installed by aptget - or a Toni provided alternative ffmpeg).

Note that this new MintPup iso of Toni also provides sfs load capability, which does allow official Puppy sfs's to be loaded albeit with some dangers...

William
Last edited by mcewanw on Sun 26 Jul 2015, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#136 Post by mcewanw »

EDIT: See below link for howto create a bootable usb flash stick of MintPup (including savefile persistence) from a running MS Windows system:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 512#859512
----

Hi Toni,

I've downloaded your new MintPup-jwm_icewm iso and am posting from it now. I'm using Firefox which I installed via

apt-get update
apt-get install firefox
Note to others: after downloading the likes of Firefox you can change desktop browser icon to point to firefox rather than dillo by using menu item JWM -> Settings -> Set Default App. The main item to modify with that is default-web_browser to /usr/bin/firefox.

I've also added flashplayer using utility JWM menu -> Settings -> FlashPlayer Choice. Personally, I'm currently using choice 2, which is flash version 11.x.

Then I set timezone with JWM menu -> Settings -> Set TimeZone

Note that I continue to use the Porteus boot with save changes on EXIT method (which is my favourite), currently from my hard drive /mnt/sda4 partition using menu.lst entry below (note that the following assumes/uses a more standard MintPup-Frugal-Install type grub4dos installation rather than a syslinix or iso-based installation created by windows installers 'rufus' or 'isoboot-win'):

title Mint - Porteus save on EXIT in directory /casper/changes
root (hd0,3)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/casper/
initrd /casper/initrd1.xz
Anyway, this is another great piece of work Toni, which deserves to be very popular.

William
----

EDIT: Note, if you want mesa accelerated graphics, you need to install that facility using

apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri
(or via Synaptic GUI for apt package manager). On some machines you may also need to install special graphic driver firmware, but mesa works out of the box on my HP Elitebook 2530p laptop (as does wifi via frisbee).

EDIT2: Note that you don't need to reboot to save changes at any time, even with Porteus save on EXIT only boot method. You can as an alternative run the command

save2flash
at any time from a terminal, which is what I often do. Personally, I generally don't do anything on the system whilst a save2flash is in process, just in case that would mess things up (I don't know if that is necessary or not).

EDIT3: By the way, I normally install the additional lxterminal since it provides a tabbed terminal interface including scroll bars and easier cut and paste commandline functionality:

apt-get install lxterminal
EDIT3b: I forgot this came with roxterm terminal, which also provides a tabbed interface and easy copy and paste functionality, so don't need lxterminal (which I have thus now removed with

apt-get purge lxterminal
apt-get autoremove
Edit4: I've now also installed Fred's debdog radio (version 0.0.3). I downloaded the actual deb from his google drive link given here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 507#854507

To install it, I just opened a terminal at the directory where I had the dogradio deb package stored and issued the command:

dpkg -i dogradio_0.0.3.deb
However, dpkg gave error message that dependency 'conky' was also required, so I used the command:

apt-get install -f 
which automatically completed the dogradio installation by installing conky.

That's a bit of a heavy addition if you don't really want conky. The MintPup-jwm_icewm provides xhippo by default, which provides a light-weight albeit less-user-friendly alternative to play radio stations (open xhippo and right-click Load playlist -> 0default.d.xplist). You can make new playlists from existing Pmusic or Simple GTK radio playlists using the MintPup-jwm_icewm default provided utility: JWM menu -> Multimedia -> DoMyFile utility.

Anyway, this post just provides a simple illustration of how easy it is to adapt this wee Linux Mint/DebianDog-based distribution to any flavour you want using the power of full dpkg/apt package management capability! :-) After that, you can remaster, if you wish
saintless wrote: Remastering GUI scripts work (but I prefer to use remaster-mint-cli because it is well tested in MintPup).
though I prefer to just stick with my Porteus boot method changes directory.

EDIT5: @Pelo: If you want to install default downloadable version of Chromium webbrowser, which cannot (without commandline options) be run as user root, you could install and use Chromium browser as a normal user (for example, via the provided login user 'puppy') by doing the following:

First start up the login display manager xdm using commandline:

xdm-start
Then login as user puppy (password puppy I think) and then install Chromium with Synaptic package manager or alternatively, I prefer to use apt at commandline like this:

sudo apt-get install chromium-browser 
Notes:

sudo is required to get necessary root install privileges here because with this method, you will have logged-in as normal user puppy rather than as root user.

Personally, I haven't actually tried installing Chromium but believe above should work.

Prior to its installation, I found the Mint/Ubuntu repository's correct package name for the Chromium webbrowser, 'chromium-browser', by doing a search using commandline:

apt-cache search chromium
EDIT6: In order to get full pavrecord and ffconvert functionality, you can also create an avconv squashfs file using the MintPup provided utility JWM menu -> Utility -> FFmpeg2sfs (note this provides avconv encoder/decoder from Mint/Ubuntu repositories rather than ffmpeg, but pavrecord and ffconvert work with that too). The sfs file is then automatically created in your /mnt/home directory and can be loaded using xfe filemanager with right-click on /mnt/home/libav-tools.sfs choosing option Scripts -> SFS-load (alternatively, from ROX file manager you can use right-click option 'sfs-activate'). Haven't yet tested it extensively, but pavrecord certainly now starts up okay without ffmpeg warning message and successfully recorded a short video without changing any of the pavrecord defaults.

William
Last edited by mcewanw on Fri 07 Aug 2015, 04:29, edited 8 times in total.
github mcewanw

wanderer

#137 Post by wanderer »

saintless

am posting this using firefox using wireless

from your new iso

absolutley fantastic work

thanks so much for including futwerks art

everything looks and works great

thanks again

wanderer

mcewanw

save on EXIT to casper folder omitted in mintpup-install

#138 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Toni,

Following my major tests in my posts above, I have discovered an omission, in mintpup-install. The menu.lst entry for Porteus boot with save changes to folder, for example, on EXIT, which is to be stored in the casper folder (which is on the partition booted from) has been omitted from mintpup-install menu.lst creation.

It should be entered as:

title Mint - Porteus save on EXIT in directory /casper/changes/ 
 uuid '"$UUID"'
The above works fine for me on ext2 and ext4 partitions at least.

EDIT: Well, it is working with newest MintPup when booting from my harddrive using root=/dev/sda4. But for some reason my usb flash stick installation isn't finding the /casper/changes folder... (it did in previous MintPup base iso, which I tested on SD card anyway). It may simply be something wrong with my flash stick so hopefully Fred can confirm if above ok.

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#139 Post by saintless »

Hi all.
Thanks for the examples and the good testing William!
slavvo67 wrote:One question: I didn't see a Firewall program included. Is there one? How do I know?
No, firewall is not included because Ubuntu has many. Use one of your choice after googling about simple firewall for Ubuntu.
Also available the default firewall from Puppy:

apt-get update
apt-get install firewall-puppy
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 580#777580
mcewanw wrote:Following my major tests in my posts above, I have discovered an omission, in mintpup-install. The menu.lst entry for Porteus boot with save changes to folder, for example, on EXIT, which is to be stored in the casper folder (which is on the partition booted from) has been omitted from mintpup-install menu.lst creation.

It should be entered as:

title Mint - Porteus save on EXIT in directory /casper/changes/ 
 uuid '"$UUID"'
The above works fine for me on ext2 and ext4 partitions at least.

EDIT: Well, it is working with newest MintPup when booting from my harddrive using root=/dev/sda4. But for some reason my usb flash stick installation isn't finding the /casper/changes folder... (it did in previous MintPup base iso, which I tested on SD card anyway). It may simply be something wrong with my flash stick so hopefully Fred can confirm if above ok.
The above code works for me with frugal install on flash drive saving changes in /casper/changes folder on EXIT.

We can repace the installers with better version by creating deb package and uploading in the repo. But lets test all for a while first. Especially the Ubuntu repository compatibility after installing many packages.

I prefer not to open new thread for now. It is easier for me to read one MintPup thread instead two. If we update the iso later I can start new thread similar to DD with the improved iso.

Edit: Maybe for now Wanderer will edit the first post adding the links:

MintPup-base iso (not maintained - for developers only):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 903#854903

MintPup-Jwm-IceWM iso (more user friendly and maintained version):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 889#857889

Toni

wanderer

#140 Post by wanderer »

saintless

i would like to ask a great favor
i feel you should start a new thread for mintpup
and let this thread lapse