Carolite-1.2 on eeepc

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Mike7

Carolite-1.2 on eeepc

#1 Post by Mike7 »

Been having some problems with my regular OS (see below), so decided to give Carolite-1.2 a try. Really like it, especially the built-in Firefox 26 browser, the sensor viewer, and the control panel with config gui's in one menu. I may even scrap Puppeee4.4 and go with Carolite-1.2.
A few queries, though, first:
  • - Are Geoffrey, rg66, or another of the developers around for answering queries?
    - Is Carolite being maintained (updated)?
    - Is there an official download site for pets and sfs files for Carolite? If so, what's the URL?
    - Do Carolina pets work with Carolite-1.2? (Which ones don't?)
Thanks.
Carolite-1.2 w/FF38 on bootable 16G flash drive; Asus eeePC 1000HA, Atom CPU, 2G RAM, 160G HDD.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

rg66

#3 Post by rg66 »

Carolite is just a stripped down Carolina, it is not currently being maintained. It uses the same repository and packages as Carolina through the puppy package manager.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Mike7

#4 Post by Mike7 »

Okay. Thanks, guys.

A few Carolite-1.2 operational queries:
  • -- The Carolite sensor viewer and apci tool work fine, as far as they go. What's missing is the feature in the Puppeee eeepc tool that allows the fan to be turned off in powersave mode. Is there any way to do this by modifying an existing file or application?

-- In spite of having changed the save interval in PupSaveConfig to "+0 (ask at shutdown)", saves continue to occur at regular intervals. This is apparently a bug with Carolite, maybe Caroline, too. What's the solution?

-- Does Carolite-1.2's Firefox-26 contain flashplayer? If so, what's the flashplayer version number?

-- Is there a Frisbee update that will work with Carolite-1.2?
Carolite-1.2 w/FF38 on bootable 16G flash drive; Asus eeePC 1000HA, Atom CPU, 2G RAM, 160G HDD.

mikeslr

Carolite - PupSaveConfig & others

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Mike7,

Regarding Autosave after setting not to, install Shinobar's latest --I think 2.25-- PupSaveConfig. I've had to do this with several "older" Pups, up thru Precise 5.7.2. Barry K never adopted Shinobar's version. Carolite is a descendant of Racy. If that doesn't work, re-read and use ALL the instructions jpep's provided.

Sorry, I'd provide links. But I've discovered that if I use the new Wellminded search to locate the posts somehow it resets "login" to "logoff".

An alternative to using Carolite is to use Carolina 1.2, and remove adrv_sfs that's included in Carolina's ISO. Doing so results in about a 100 mb Pup --just a couple of mb's heavier than Carolite. You can, of course, use its builtin applications to add the SFSes and pets, and combine pets into SFSes, of your choice.

Carolina 1.3 & Carolina Vanguard included modifications to provide the new glibs required to run recent google-chrome & its clones. If I understand it correctly (a big IF) these libraries are larger and, consequently, require greater resources. AFAIK, they were added, not substituted, so that the older applications which required the older glibs continue to be functional.

In short, any application built for any Carolina thru 1.2 --and many applications built for Saluki, and some built for Racy*-- will run under any Carolina; but some applications built for Carolina 1.3 and Vanguard won't run under earlier Carolinas.

Frisbee should have been built in. I'd be surprised if it wasn't. It's been the standard since Saluki. Checking Carolina's repo, http://smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packages-carolina/ reveals Frisbee-beta-4.pet. You'll also find flashplayer-11.2.202.460.pet there. But any flash from any source should work, albeit with mixed results depending more on your system and the vagaries of website than on their origins.

If you click "parent" on the link above, you'll find several folders of Carolina apps. I didn't, however, recognize anything relating to controlling fans. But you might.

If not, and if a Wellminded search, http://wellminded.net63.net/, doesn't uncover a fan control app for Carolina, is try to cobble together your own.

Before discarding Puppeee, if fan control has a menu listing, open its desktop file at /usr/share/applications to see what executable is being called. Then browse to that executable noting its path: for example, /usr/local/bin/fan_control. If "fan_control" is a script --there's a good chance it might be-- all that may be necessary is to copy that script (and the desktop file and any icon associated with it) to the same locations under Carolite/Carolina as they appeared under Puppeee. After copying those files, restart-X: this causes your OS to recognize their presence. Then try starting it by typing its name in a terminal. It may start. Or it may show that some file is missing. If a file is missing, browse to the location of the fan_control executable and open a terminal there. Type "ldd fan_control" --without the quotes and using its actual name. And that may show you all the files that are missing. Flinch them from Puppee as well.

Trying a second time may reveal more missing files. But if you're lucky, you eventually will have all the necessary files in Carolina. Or at some point you may discover it uses python --not your Carolina's version-- or something else I know nothing about.

If it works and you've kept track of what files you've added, you can create a pet you can use in other Pups on that computer.

mikesLr

* Racy's foundation is jwm as window-manager, rox as file-manager. Saluki & Carolina's are, respectively, xfce and thunar. Apps built for one system expect to find the binaries needed for that system. These may not have been included, being unnecessary, in the other system. Scripts & dialog-boxes, on the other hand, don't usually depend on what file or window's manager is used.

p.s. Mike7? Are there only you, me and 5 other Mikes on this forum? :o

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Do you know about this:

EEE 700 and 900 series Slacko5.7
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97110
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rg66

#7 Post by rg66 »

Mike7 wrote:Okay. Thanks, guys.

A few Carolite-1.2 operational queries:
  • -- The Carolite sensor viewer and apci tool work fine, as far as they go. What's missing is the feature in the Puppeee eeepc tool that allows the fan to be turned off in powersave mode. Is there any way to do this by modifying an existing file or application?
Like mikeslr said, try and find the app that controls the fan and maybe you can get it work.
-- In spite of having changed the save interval in PupSaveConfig to "+0 (ask at shutdown)", saves continue to occur at regular intervals. This is apparently a bug with Carolite, maybe Caroline, too. What's the solution?
What kind of install do you have? Pupsaveconfig save interval is made for flash drives, for a frugal install to harddrive change menu.lst entry to "pmedia=ataflash" to get it to work.
-- Does Carolite-1.2's Firefox-26 contain flashplayer? If so, what's the flashplayer version number?
No
-- Is there a Frisbee update that will work with Carolite-1.2?
Yes, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64472, rerwin has taken it over with new versions. Check near the end of the thread, but make sure you completley uninstall the original as they are different.

Moat

#8 Post by Moat »

Mike7 wrote: In spite of having changed the save interval in PupSaveConfig to "+0 (ask at shutdown)", saves continue to occur at regular intervals. This is apparently a bug with Carolite, maybe Caroline, too. What's the solution?
I recall having the same issue with Carolina 1.2/1.3 (frugal on a flash drive), and IIRC the fix was from this post...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 357#660357

Essentially, manually modifying the RAMSAVEINTERVAL of line 9 of pup_event_frontend_d.

Not on Carolina ATM, so can't remember where pup_event_frontend_d is located (Pfind will point you there...).

Bob

Mike7

#9 Post by Mike7 »

Thanks, everyone, for all the good suggestions. I'll be following up on them all and reporting back.

Right now, though, I have a more urgent problem. Something has gone seriously wrong with Carolite's browser.

When I installed Carolite-1.2 a week ago Firefox worked fine. I had no trouble with any websites and could watch videos on youtube without a hitch.

Suddenly, a couple of days ago, no more youtube. Every time I try to connect I get a screen that says "WARNING! Your Flash Player may be out of date. Please update to continue.", and when I click on "OK" I get another screen that purports to be from Flashplayer Pro that says "Update your flash player", and has two buttons, "Install" and "Remind Me Later". When I click on the "Remind Me Later" button, it tries to download a file named "setup.exe". Also, the URL in the Navigation Toolbar doesn't change, it still says just "youtube.com", which is what I put there, without the http:// prefix.

This looks like it could be some sort of malware. Is that possible? If it is, what can I do about it?

I tried some other websites with videos and in every case, although I can access the site, there's a notice where the video should be saying to update flashplayer.

Now I see that rg66 says that Carolite-1.2 doesn't have flashplayer. So how was I able to access youtube until now and watch videos?

I'm really confused. I have no idea what's going on or what to do about it. I could start over again with a new installation, but I figure the same thing's going to happen, whatever it is.

Help!

Mike7

#10 Post by Mike7 »

mikeslr-
re-read and use ALL the instructions jpep's provided
Who is jpep?
Frisbee should have been built in
It is. I was just wondering if there was a newer version, as the one built into Carolite doesn't have all the functionality of Pwireless2.
Before discarding Puppeee . . .
I will try to filch the fan app from Puppeee as you suggest.
Are there only you, me and 5 other Mikes on this forum?
I've no idea. I use Mike7 as a monicker in lots of forums. It saves time from running through Mike, Mike1, Mike2, etc.

Mike7

#11 Post by Mike7 »

bigpup-
EEE 700 and 900 series Slacko5.7
Do you know if it will work in eeepc 1000HA?

Mike7

#12 Post by Mike7 »

rg66-
What kind of install do you have?
I installed Carolite-1.2 without a CD drive, using just my Asus eeepc 1000HA. I did this:
  • -- I have a flash drive with Puppeee-4.4 on it, so I used Puppeee's bootflash app to make a new flash drive bootable,
    -- I downloaded the Carolite-1.2 iso to Puppeee.
    -- Opened the iso with ISOmaster.
    -- Copied all the ISO files to the new flash drive.
This seems to have worked,
Pupsaveconfig save interval is made for flash drives
Any reason you can see why it shouldn't work on my install?
Quote:

No
How was I able to watch videos on youtube, before my current flashplayer snafu (see above)?

rg66

#13 Post by rg66 »

Mike7 wrote:Any reason you can see why it shouldn't work on my install?
No, I thought it was working. When I have time I'll have a look.
How was I able to watch videos on youtube, before my current flashplayer snafu (see above)?
It was probably html5, https://www.youtube.com/html5

mikeslr

jpep's How to Remove automatic pupsave for frugal installs

#14 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Mike7:

Thread start's here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 326#662326

As Moat mentioned, it may require modification of pup_event_frontend_d. I haven't tried that method, and I'm also not currently running Carolina/Carolite.

But as I try to avoid modifying scripts I don't fully understand, I'd first try installing shinobar's pupsaveconfig, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 45f#457081, modify boot parameter to read pmedia=ataflash, reset Pup Event, and reboot a couple of times, double-checking each time.

mikesLr

Mike7

#15 Post by Mike7 »

rg66 wrote:It was probably html5, https://www.youtube.com/html5
When I put https://www.youtube.com/html5 into the browser, it tells me that it's unable to connect to the server at www.youtube.com (although my Internet connection is working okay). As I said above, if I put youtube.com into the browser, I get the flash player screen I mentioned:
Attachments
youtube.com_Screenshot.png
(91.89 KiB) Downloaded 302 times

Mike7

#16 Post by Mike7 »

Moat wrote: the fix was from this post...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 357#660357

Essentially, manually modifying the RAMSAVEINTERVAL of line 9 of pup_event_frontend_d.
I found pup_event_frontend_d in /sbin. Line 9 was:

Code: Select all

[ "$RAMSAVEINTERVAL" = "" ] && RAMSAVEINTERVAL=30 #412
which I have now changed to:

Code: Select all

[ "$RAMSAVEINTERVAL" = "" ] && RAMSAVEINTERVAL=0 #412
I'll let you know if that works, although as mikeslr said, modifying scripts is risky business <grin>.

rg66

#17 Post by rg66 »

I booted into a fresh Carolite frugal, made a save and rebooted. Started pupsaveconfig, changed interval to +0 and when rebooting was asked if I wanted to save. Next changed to -0 and on reboot the session was not saved. Seems to be working normally.

8Geee

#18 Post by 8Geee »

Just wondering mike7, if you tried slacko5.7-2015a as bigpup linked, and you asked me. It should run OK and html5 for youtube is included. Note that some YT vids are flash only, so some errors. Theres other screenys in root/my-applications/MyFiles.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

zagreb999

vlina 1.3

#19 Post by zagreb999 »

FOR YOUR INFORMATION:

THE BEST OS IS VANGUARD CAROLINA 1.3 R2

GREAT OS ,
YOU TUBE PERFECT
INSTALL WITH UNETBOOTIN
FORMAT WITH SPACEFM-VFAT OR FAT32
-------------
REGARDS.

Mike7

#20 Post by Mike7 »

RE PUPSAVE

Saves are no longer occuring and I still have the option to save at shutdown, so changing line 9 in pup_event_frontend_d to 0 seems to have done the trick.