(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 29 Sep 2020, 14:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
X-Tahr-2.0 with Xfce
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 9 of 16 [231 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
Author Message
Marv


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 1265
Location: SW Wisconsin

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar 2016, 18:44    Post subject:  

rg66 wrote:
Not sure, but it would be nice if Pentium-M could boot PAE with force-pae.


All of mine do, 6 or 7 at last count. That's pretty much the class that kernel patch was written for. They have the capability but not the flag set. Just pass forcepae as a kernel parameter in pretty much all post 3.14.20 kernels IIRC.

_________________
Pups currently in kennel Very Happy Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
starhawk

Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 5056
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere...

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2016, 16:09    Post subject:  

Thought I'd mention this here, though I'm not sure it's an X-Tahr issue per se -- but it's the one and only actual problem within X-Tahr 1b3 that I've found since release. I've installed GNOME Mplayer (I don't think it came with the Pup, but I'm not 100% on that... my memory is crap) from PPM on my netbook's install of X-Tahr... this would be the one from the Puppy repositories, not from Ubuntu...

If GNOME Mplayer is at all open (playing or not, doesn't matter), YouTube videos won't start. There's some kinda interaction there and I get a message in the YT player that says "if the video does not begin to play soon, try restarting your device"...

*shrug* Beats me. It's not even all that bothersome... slightly annoying, maybe, but only that. Just wanted to bring it up as possibly worth investigation. Might be some weird something something with GNOME Mplayer. Might not. Dunno, I'm not a software guy (we know!).

EDIT: this one's actually a flakey. Sometimes it misbehaves, sometimes not. What's the trigger? No idea.

_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rg66


Joined: 23 Jul 2012
Posts: 1160
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada / Entebbe, Uganda Africa!?!

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar 2016, 04:25    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
If GNOME Mplayer is at all open (playing or not, doesn't matter), YouTube videos won't start. There's some kinda interaction there and I get a message in the YT player that says "if the video does not begin to play soon, try restarting your device"...

EDIT: this one's actually a flakey. Sometimes it misbehaves, sometimes not. What's the trigger? No idea.


It didn't come with Gnome Mplayer ootb, it had VLC.

I'm fairly busy with work and X-slacko at the moment but will have a look when I start building X-tahr again.

_________________
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
X-series repo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
starhawk

Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 5056
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere...

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2016, 12:13    Post subject:  

Just a tickler: looking forward to the next release Wink
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rg66


Joined: 23 Jul 2012
Posts: 1160
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada / Entebbe, Uganda Africa!?!

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr 2016, 07:35    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
Just a tickler: looking forward to the next release Wink


No pressure, lol. Might be a week or two before I muster up the will to start. Because I'm going to use 6.0.5, I'll probably have to start from scratch. Shocked

_________________
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
X-series repo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
starhawk

Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 5056
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere...

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr 2016, 11:27    Post subject:  

Take all the time you need Wink
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
starhawk

Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 5056
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere...

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr 2016, 22:30    Post subject:  

rg66 -- I have a replacement set of driver objects (*.so and *.la) for the 'openchrome' driver -- which, in X-Tahr 1b3, is broken on certain oddball systems that use the VIA VX855 and similar (VIA P4M900, VN896, CN896, and VX800, at least) chipsets. Specifically, the graphics on systems with these affected chipsets, will not work -- the driver crashes X with a black screen, leaving users stuck in text mode.

I filed a bug report sometime in late 2015 with the openchrome bug tracker, to report this issue, and I can now, today, FINALLY report that the bug has been fixed.

I have, as mentioned, a replacement openchrome_drv.so and openchrome_drv.la, compiled against X-Tahr 1b3, which are known good, and I'd be glad to send them to you if you can put them into the release version of X-Tahr...

EDIT: tarball of the driver files, is here.

_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rg66


Joined: 23 Jul 2012
Posts: 1160
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada / Entebbe, Uganda Africa!?!

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2016, 05:53    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
rg66 -- I have a replacement set of driver objects (*.so and *.la) for the 'openchrome' driver -- which, in X-Tahr 1b3, is broken on certain oddball systems that use the VIA VX855 and similar (VIA P4M900, VN896, CN896, and VX800, at least) chipsets. Specifically, the graphics on systems with these affected chipsets, will not work -- the driver crashes X with a black screen, leaving users stuck in text mode.

I filed a bug report sometime in late 2015 with the openchrome bug tracker, to report this issue, and I can now, today, FINALLY report that the bug has been fixed.

I have, as mentioned, a replacement openchrome_drv.so and openchrome_drv.la, compiled against X-Tahr 1b3, which are known good, and I'd be glad to send them to you if you can put them into the release version of X-Tahr...

EDIT: tarball of the driver files, is here.


Is this kernel specific? The kernel for the next X-Tahr will be the Tahr-6.0.5-PAE kernel.

_________________
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
X-series repo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
starhawk

Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 5056
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere...

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2016, 11:22    Post subject:  

Drivers are specific to the kernel, yes.

I'll recompile for that kernel in the next couple of days. (Probably.)

_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
01micko


Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 8787
Location: qld

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2016, 16:15    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
Drivers are specific to the kernel, yes.

I'll recompile for that kernel in the next couple of days. (Probably.)


These are xorg modules ('drivers' - hate that word! That's just me). Not kernel specific.

_________________
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
rg66


Joined: 23 Jul 2012
Posts: 1160
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada / Entebbe, Uganda Africa!?!

PostPosted: Sun 01 May 2016, 02:30    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
These are xorg modules ('drivers' - hate that word! That's just me). Not kernel specific.


Thanks Mick, I was kind of leaning that way since they aren't in the zdrv.

_________________
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
X-series repo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
starhawk

Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 5056
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere...

PostPosted: Sun 01 May 2016, 15:47    Post subject:  

Good to know -- thanks, micko!
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
starhawk

Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 5056
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere...

PostPosted: Sun 01 May 2016, 22:09    Post subject:  

Actually -- micko, if you can, please -- do you know if the modules/drivers that I compiled in what is essentially TahrPup 6.0.2 -- will those work in XenialPup OOTB, or do they need to be recompiled for that?
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
01micko


Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 8787
Location: qld

PostPosted: Mon 02 May 2016, 03:19    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
Actually -- micko, if you can, please -- do you know if the modules/drivers that I compiled in what is essentially TahrPup 6.0.2 -- will those work in XenialPup OOTB, or do they need to be recompiled for that?


Well they might work but usually between (distro) releases X.org is updated heavily so I would at least recompile and at best go with the most recent stable version.

_________________
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
zagreb999

Joined: 11 Apr 2014
Posts: 573
Location: Yugoslavija

PostPosted: Thu 05 May 2016, 14:37    Post subject: xtahr-pulseaudio  

xtahr-pulseaudio

regards

how to run pulseaudio-pavucontrol
as root in x tahr?

thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 9 of 16 [231 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.2602s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0888s) ][ GZIP on ]