X-Tahr-2.0 with Xfce

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Marv

#121 Post by Marv »

rg66 wrote:Not sure, but it would be nice if Pentium-M could boot PAE with force-pae.
All of mine do, 6 or 7 at last count. That's pretty much the class that kernel patch was written for. They have the capability but not the flag set. Just pass forcepae as a kernel parameter in pretty much all post 3.14.20 kernels IIRC.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

starhawk

#122 Post by starhawk »

Thought I'd mention this here, though I'm not sure it's an X-Tahr issue per se -- but it's the one and only actual problem within X-Tahr 1b3 that I've found since release. I've installed GNOME Mplayer (I don't think it came with the Pup, but I'm not 100% on that... my memory is crap) from PPM on my netbook's install of X-Tahr... this would be the one from the Puppy repositories, not from Ubuntu...

If GNOME Mplayer is at all open (playing or not, doesn't matter), YouTube videos won't start. There's some kinda interaction there and I get a message in the YT player that says "if the video does not begin to play soon, try restarting your device"...

*shrug* Beats me. It's not even all that bothersome... slightly annoying, maybe, but only that. Just wanted to bring it up as possibly worth investigation. Might be some weird something something with GNOME Mplayer. Might not. Dunno, I'm not a software guy (we know!).

EDIT: this one's actually a flakey. Sometimes it misbehaves, sometimes not. What's the trigger? No idea.

rg66

#123 Post by rg66 »

starhawk wrote:If GNOME Mplayer is at all open (playing or not, doesn't matter), YouTube videos won't start. There's some kinda interaction there and I get a message in the YT player that says "if the video does not begin to play soon, try restarting your device"...

EDIT: this one's actually a flakey. Sometimes it misbehaves, sometimes not. What's the trigger? No idea.
It didn't come with Gnome Mplayer ootb, it had VLC.

I'm fairly busy with work and X-slacko at the moment but will have a look when I start building X-tahr again.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

starhawk

#124 Post by starhawk »

Just a tickler: looking forward to the next release ;)

rg66

#125 Post by rg66 »

starhawk wrote:Just a tickler: looking forward to the next release ;)
No pressure, lol. Might be a week or two before I muster up the will to start. Because I'm going to use 6.0.5, I'll probably have to start from scratch. :shock:

starhawk

#126 Post by starhawk »

Take all the time you need ;)

starhawk

#127 Post by starhawk »

rg66 -- I have a replacement set of driver objects (*.so and *.la) for the 'openchrome' driver -- which, in X-Tahr 1b3, is broken on certain oddball systems that use the VIA VX855 and similar (VIA P4M900, VN896, CN896, and VX800, at least) chipsets. Specifically, the graphics on systems with these affected chipsets, will not work -- the driver crashes X with a black screen, leaving users stuck in text mode.

I filed a bug report sometime in late 2015 with the openchrome bug tracker, to report this issue, and I can now, today, FINALLY report that the bug has been fixed.

I have, as mentioned, a replacement openchrome_drv.so and openchrome_drv.la, compiled against X-Tahr 1b3, which are known good, and I'd be glad to send them to you if you can put them into the release version of X-Tahr...

EDIT: tarball of the driver files, is here.

rg66

#128 Post by rg66 »

starhawk wrote:rg66 -- I have a replacement set of driver objects (*.so and *.la) for the 'openchrome' driver -- which, in X-Tahr 1b3, is broken on certain oddball systems that use the VIA VX855 and similar (VIA P4M900, VN896, CN896, and VX800, at least) chipsets. Specifically, the graphics on systems with these affected chipsets, will not work -- the driver crashes X with a black screen, leaving users stuck in text mode.

I filed a bug report sometime in late 2015 with the openchrome bug tracker, to report this issue, and I can now, today, FINALLY report that the bug has been fixed.

I have, as mentioned, a replacement openchrome_drv.so and openchrome_drv.la, compiled against X-Tahr 1b3, which are known good, and I'd be glad to send them to you if you can put them into the release version of X-Tahr...

EDIT: tarball of the driver files, is here.
Is this kernel specific? The kernel for the next X-Tahr will be the Tahr-6.0.5-PAE kernel.

starhawk

#129 Post by starhawk »

Drivers are specific to the kernel, yes.

I'll recompile for that kernel in the next couple of days. (Probably.)

01micko

#130 Post by 01micko »

starhawk wrote:Drivers are specific to the kernel, yes.

I'll recompile for that kernel in the next couple of days. (Probably.)
These are xorg modules ('drivers' - hate that word! That's just me). Not kernel specific.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

rg66

#131 Post by rg66 »

01micko wrote:These are xorg modules ('drivers' - hate that word! That's just me). Not kernel specific.
Thanks Mick, I was kind of leaning that way since they aren't in the zdrv.

starhawk

#132 Post by starhawk »

Good to know -- thanks, micko!

starhawk

#133 Post by starhawk »

Actually -- micko, if you can, please -- do you know if the modules/drivers that I compiled in what is essentially TahrPup 6.0.2 -- will those work in XenialPup OOTB, or do they need to be recompiled for that?

01micko

#134 Post by 01micko »

starhawk wrote:Actually -- micko, if you can, please -- do you know if the modules/drivers that I compiled in what is essentially TahrPup 6.0.2 -- will those work in XenialPup OOTB, or do they need to be recompiled for that?
Well they might work but usually between (distro) releases X.org is updated heavily so I would at least recompile and at best go with the most recent stable version.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

zagreb999

xtahr-pulseaudio

#135 Post by zagreb999 »

xtahr-pulseaudio

regards

how to run pulseaudio-pavucontrol
as root in x tahr?

thanks

tano70

#136 Post by tano70 »

X-tahr64 version with Xfce?

kiramm
Location: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 393#988393

take a shot doesn t work ?

#137 Post by kiramm »

tried this incredible beta

but
take a shot

of screen doesn t work just at me???

also cant install pequilaizer :( from ppm
only on my pc ?
Attachments
abc.png
here
(178.17 KiB) Downloaded 230 times

kiramm
Location: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 393#988393

X-tahr-1b3 beta possible to install photoshop?

#138 Post by kiramm »

X-tahr-1b3 beta
is very very perfect beautifull puppy i would like to keep on my laptop as main system
knows somebody how to put on photoshop???

for example the cs 2 which is for free
on adobe com :)

i thank u very for helping and answering me!:) :)

rg66

Re: xtahr-pulseaudio

#139 Post by rg66 »

zagreb999 wrote:xtahr-pulseaudio

regards

how to run pulseaudio-pavucontrol
as root in x tahr?

thanks
Have a look at this thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=99005

rg66

#140 Post by rg66 »

tano70 wrote:X-tahr64 version with Xfce?
Not as of yet but I'm not sure I'll even do one.