Just-Lighthouse64-603/604

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Dry Falls

JL64-604.6.8.2 - iso

#361 Post by Dry Falls »

@gdrive: JL64-604.6.8.2 - iso (576M) -- scroll up a few posts for link
uploaded patched kde sfs
uploaded m-compiz-fusion (removed from iso but unchanged)
upgraded 'clean_desk_icons' script & e2fsprogs
disabled gnome support in xfce4 (switchable in Xsettings manager) reducing number of running processes.
more config changes...

reverted default to Tazoc's xorgwizard and pup_event_frontend_d which, although increases the number of running kernel processes, helps (via evdev) to correctly discover hardware peripherals more than just a generic display, keyboard & mouse. Either way, I'd recommend running xorg-wizard-puppy at first run, which retains evdev's discoveries.

A simple script (menu->System->System Tools->Xorg_Pupevent-switcher) is provided to switch between Tazoc's and BK/0Micko's pup_event_frontend_d/xorgwizard. It may be necessary to use the newer versions with some hardware. Obviously, there are advantages to both. Be sure to restart X after making a change. Additionally, 0micko'event manager refreshing drive icons (jwm & openbox) may at first corrupt conky, if running. Simply rerun conky switcher or restart X to reset it.

Dry Falls

#362 Post by Dry Falls »

JL64-604-6.8.3
  • modified default conky & compiz-fusion themes
    compiz-fusion back on iso (note: possibly unhealthy to rapid-cycle between wm's, especially 'startfusion', during a single session)*
    disabled fusion desktop*
    modified startxfce4 & lxstart scripts
    added some mime associations & icons for lxde and xfce4 window managers
    sfs-load & icon theme switcher back in the menu (why they left is a mystery).
    profile.d set default fonts to UTF-8
    added bash_advanced_guide-10.0 to 3_DevXtras.sfs (in menu->utilities->development)
    removed some inadvertant remnants from last remaster.
    upgrade new icecat-38.5.2.en-US.linux-x86_64.sfs for a full-function libre browser. They seem to have gotten past the problem of heavy cpu/ram load & slow startup (10 sec).
    upgrade seamonkey to v2.39
* : fusion desktop disables gvs & shadow-state, not to mention persistent change to lx and xfce pager/workspace (have to 'add..." in panel settings). Try 'mv -f /usr/bin/startfusion /usr/bin/~startfusion' -- now in first run startup script.
Last edited by Dry Falls on Thu 28 Jan 2016, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

edoc

#363 Post by edoc »

Please disregard ... since Quisk appears to be native to Ubuntu I'll try TahrPup64 first.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Dry Falls

JL64-604-6.9

#364 Post by Dry Falls »

Uploaded to gdrive (JL64-604 directory) Just-Lighthouse64-604.6.9.iso
and
6.9-Deltas.tar.gz
The deltas update 4_kde and documentation addons. Hopefully, this is the last major update until JL64-700 comes out which will be based on slackware 15 (current) when they get that version settled down.

df

gcmartin

#365 Post by gcmartin »

Is this MD5 checksum correct?

Code: Select all

bf8187055bf67c8000dfbc98f0964582  Just-Lighthouse64-604.6.9.iso

Dry Falls

#366 Post by Dry Falls »

Is this MD5 checksum correct?
Code:
bf8187055bf67c8000dfbc98f0964582 Just-Lighthouse64-604.6.9.iso
That's it. The md5 file is also at gdrive next to the iso.

Dry Falls

Re: JL64-604-6.9

#367 Post by Dry Falls »

Dry Falls wrote:Hopefully, this is the last major update until JL64-700 comes out which will be based on slackware 15 (current) when they get that version settled down.
Actually, I'm working on JL64-605.

davids45

Printer problem (Epson-XP200 networked)

#368 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

I have been successfully setting up my Epson-XP200 wifi-networked printer with a range of 64-bits Pups (Frugals) and have come to an odd problem with Lighthouse64-604.638 where I cannot 'Add Printer' after entering all the usual information.

The full saga is here, with the LighthousePup problem shown in this post:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 055#885055

Has anyone an explanation or fix?

Thanks,
David S.

davids45

Where do I load system modules?

#369 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Boot Manager does not load/unload modules in LighthousePup so how do I load a couple of core temperature modules that may give me temperatures in the CPU Temps Pwidgets (see screenshot with gap between "CPU Temps" and the green text frequency cpu lines)?

Entering "sensors" in a terminal shows none loaded (also in screenshot)

In another 64-biter, I had to add these modules (coretemp and smsc47b397) to /etc/modules but I can't find this file either in LighthousePup.

Thanks for any guidance,

David S.
Attachments
lighthouse64_no_sensor_modules.jpg
(165.86 KiB) Downloaded 676 times

Dry Falls

Re: Printer problem (Epson-XP200 networked)

#370 Post by Dry Falls »

davids45 wrote: I cannot 'Add Printer' after entering all the usual information.
Your screenshot tells me cups has already found your printer. Try 'continue' instead of 'add printer'. Better than cups, which is a hassle when everything's working, try system-config-printer. Much more user friendly.

As for the sensors problem, this is what I get:

bash-4.2# sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +40.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:       +40.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:       +42.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:       +44.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Check out lighthouse faqs for installing & compiling modules (file:///usr/share/doc/faqs/faq.html)

etc/modules contains the list of modules and order. actual modules are loaded in /lib.

check out this link if you need to find firmware (after running 'dmesg | grep 'firmware'): http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97276

However, it maybe that when you installed pwidgets, it may have overwritten the lmsensors builtin to lighthouse. There seems to be a problem with conky sensors in lighthouse but not witnessed with gkrellm. It may just be a missed variable compiling the kernel. Still learning.

df

davids45

No joy with networked Epson-XP200

#371 Post by davids45 »

G'day Dry Falls,

I installed the system-config-printer package from the repository and ran it successfully from its /usr/share/applications/ desktop file.
But still no printing from my networked Epson-XP200 (see screenshot of various dialog boxes from systen-config-printer) :? .

It may not be relevant for the network printer problem, but I see the firewall in ON in this Pup (green shield icon) whereas I have it turned OFF in every other Pup. How can I turn this firewall OFF anyway?

On the PLUS-side :D , I found I could run the missing module for my CPU Temps widget by simply in terminal doing 'modprobe smsc47b397' (see also in screenshot, red widget text). I may need to add this to the Startup directory if this module loading is not persistent.

Any hints for compiling the Epson-XP200 driver in LHP from its dev files? I suspect driver-compatibility is part of the problem.

Thanks for your efforts,

David S.
Attachments
system-config-printer_output.jpg
(222.52 KiB) Downloaded 618 times

gcmartin

#372 Post by gcmartin »

Netbooted 604.69 on an X2 box from LH64. Desktop rendered nicely.

I had expected to see FirstRUN for initial localization as it is so much speedier to get going. But, I manually launched it via Menu>Setup>Setup Lighthouse>Personalize Settings to set my needs in its single screen;

System is nicely laid out. IP is working and sound set.

Noticed the Firewall icon on taskbar, BUT, when I tried to click to disable and remove it, it disappeared altogether.

Mouse-over on the Ethernet taskbar icon does not show the IP address(s), so you might want to check with @01Micko for the latest version for 605.

In effort to insure file searches are instanteous, I launched Menu>Filesystem>Update Files Database. It produces error message for the local drive which has 4 EXT4 partitions mounted from the system's HDD???

Please be patient, this takes a while:
		9 files lists are being (re)built.

The system files index (/)
			has been (re)built.

fatal error: slocate: parse_create_path: could not create database: ./slocate-.gv      The index on /mnt/.gvfs  y
			has been (re)built.

fatal error: slocate: parse_create_path: could not create database: ./slocate-.gv      The index on /mnt/.gvfs  y
			has been (re)built.

has been (re)built.
		      The index on /mnt/sde2  
			has been (re)built.
		      The index on /mnt/sde3  
			has been (re)built.
		      The index on /mnt/sde4  
			has been (re)built.
		      The index on /mnt/home  
			has been (re)built.

Finished! 
		Hit 'Return' key to exit.
RAM report

bash-4.2# free  
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       4822860    2470588    2352272     710856     295432    1245436
-/+ buffers/cache:     929720    3893140
Swap:      4235672          0    4235672
bash-4.2# uname -a
Linux JLH64onX2 4.1.11-JL-64 #1 SMP Sun Nov 15 00:56:52 PST 2015 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
Glad to see Checkers is still a staple in the Games collection.

Testing continues. Thanks for this current assembly @Dry Falls.

Dry Falls

#373 Post by Dry Falls »

The reason firewall is enabled first-run is because Tazoc's init script allows to disable it during bootup and run netlink, which communicates with dhcp, etc to establish eth0/lan. Then it restarts the firewall as X is starting. All the file in the startup folder does is put the icon in the tray. You can right-click the icon to turn on or off (for a session) or disable it altogether.

Thanks for pointing out the disappearing firewall icon trick. Well, the trick is not to click the icon, but to hold and keep it down to make your selection. I'll try and move the 'Quit & remove firewall status' to the top of the menu if that order isn't built into the binary ... Well, it is, so I won't.

As to slocate, don't worry about the error messages, especially if you're not running gvfs. They're harmless. In fact, it works even better and faster sans error messages under slackware64-current with upgraded findutils, gvfs and eudev.

hi davids45. I see now you have a networked printer. I don't have any way to test any networking capabilities in lighthouse. You might want to open 'setup' icon on the desktop and select '9' to set up networking first. By the way, system config printer is already built in to the addons on the iso (xfce & devx).

gcmartin

#374 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Davids45

I dont have your printer, as my printer is different manufacture. Try this to see if you can get a spool file to print.

To begin, you MUST be able to ping your EPSON printer

# ping -c 2 YOUR-Printer-IP-address
  1. Open a browser to localhost:631
  2. Click Adding Printers and Classes
  3. Click Add Printer

Opps! @Dry Falls, I am getting a CUPS request for username and password. Not sure when this changed.

If you get a pop-up for username/password I used root/woofwoof
  4. click LPR/LPD
  5. enter lpd:YOUR-Printer-IP-address/Epson1
  6. give the printer a cname you choose
  7. Select Epson and scroll to Epson Stylus Photo R200 OR if you have the PPD file from Epson, click and enter its path
Finally, complete the setup and try a test page print

BEWARE: If lots of pages begin kicking out, Stop the printer as the PPD being used is the wrong one.

Hope this helps

davids45

Slackware problem with my Epson printer [mostly SOLVED]

#375 Post by davids45 »

G'day Dry Falls & gcmartin,

Thanks for your replies to my printer problem in JLHP.

I've just been going though my many 32-bit Frugal and Full Pups seeing if they'll print via the EpsonXP200 and I think that using the .deb-based source file for the driver is not working with most slacko Pups. Many 'filter failed' situations with slackos - while debian & ubuntu-derived Pups print without problem.

Of more than 10 slackos of various sorts and kernels on my desktop, only fulls 5.6 and 5.9.3 are printing, the rest 'filter fail'. Very puzzling and annoying.

I tried to make a 32-bit slacko-driver using the slacko devx and the .deb driver package but slacko failed at the ./bootstrap first step whereas tahrpup was fine to make the tahr driver.
Posted my devx-driver dilemma on the Bugs thread for slacko630
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 660#885660
but no answering miracles yet :) .

Update: 32-bit slacko problem mostly fixed - it was a needed library file, ld-lsb.so.3, that I'd copied from ubuntu-based Pups which was at fault; using a slacko equivalent, and only the latest 32-bit 6.3.0 slacko is not printing. So not the driver, just a library file mismatch :oops: .

So I think I need to get a functioning EpsonXP200 driver in most slackware Pups, then I expect JLHP will also be OK with the printer.

David S.
Last edited by davids45 on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

Dry Falls

#376 Post by Dry Falls »

gcmartin wrote:Opps! @Dry Falls, I am getting a CUPS request for username and password. Not sure when this changed.
Not an oops. cups runs as spot. The installed version is cups-1.5.4-x86_64-3. I wasn't able to get the 14.1 upgrade version (cups-1.5.4-x86_64-4) to work as well. On the other hand, running JL64 with slackware64-current packages under k.4.4 (my 'current' project), the cups (cups-2.1.2-x86_64-1) as well as system-config-printer seem to find the printer at boot up. You only need to call them up to make configuration changes. I think all the drivers one might need are included in the database.

GcMartin: so can I assume you've been able to use printing over a network?

eztuxer

#377 Post by eztuxer »

Hi !

Is there an easy way to turn this pupplet into a regular puppy ?
I mean, with a normal save fiile on USB stick , and normal HDD install possibilities.

My notebook AKOYA MEDION AMD 64 does not have an optical disc drive, and this is the best 64 bit version of puppy ATM, so I would like to use it.

Could I just swap the shutdown script with that of a regular puppy ?

And if so, how do I do it ?

Thank you in advance for reply.
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

Dry Falls

#378 Post by Dry Falls »

eztuxer wrote:Is there an easy way to turn this pupplet into a regular puppy ?
I mean, with a normal save fiile on USB stick , and normal HDD install possibilities.
A more woofCE universal installer is called by the install icon on the desktop. Lighthouse UI is found in menu -> setup. There's also bootflash (same place). JL64 also has unetbootin there.

Full install was never recomended, but pupmode=7 is pretty close. That would be a simple manual frugal install, Drag the vmlinuz, initrd.xz and base-file to the top of the partition/drive and choose 'save to partition' at reboot. You may want to play with the settings in your boot menu. Never thought of switching rc.shutdown in /etc/rc.d. Interesting idea, but that might screw things up considering the complex ecology of this distro.

eztuxer

#379 Post by eztuxer »

Hi, Thanks Dry Falls,

Tried a frugal install in a FAT32 partition.

Successfully created the JL64604frugal dir.

No way to install grub4dos (UEFI).

How do I boot it ? :oops:

edit: this is my first frugal install EVER :shock:
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

Dry Falls

#380 Post by Dry Falls »

Hi eztuxer. I'd recommend using a linux partition, but that should work. If it's a windows box, only use windows to make the partition, or you could break your boot sector. Do you have a boot menu which comes up other than the windows boot manager? If not, I'd get rufus or something to try a usb stick installation first. I guess what I'm saying is we need a bit more information in order to help you out. Things were a lot easier with grub4dos, that's for sure.

df