Just-Lighthouse64-603/604

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Dry Falls

#196 Post by Dry Falls »

gcmartin wrote:I would suggest to everyone to heed both @JamesBond, @Kirk, and @TaZoC's advice to USE DVDs... and is a reason the distro authors indicate that they DO NOT SUPPORT CDs for media use with their ISOs.
If you read the context around these warnings, what is not supported is saving sessions to cd. Cd's themselves work fine. Just like you can still play old music cd's on a new dvd player -- even hd-dvd! Cd is still a perfectly acceptable boot as well as live-session medium.

Slacko64 is not uefi bootable. What this suggests is that while your box IS legacy bootable, it doesn't support the newer uefi firmware boot process (the date, ca2006 is a dead giveaway!). I imagine you also have no problem with the original lighthouse uefi flash installer. It doesn't work on many (including my) machines. I had to go to the woof-ce universal installer script (the original is still available in the menu).

Try isomaster on the slacko64 iso, replacing the system files (vmlinuz, initrd.gz) and basefile (puppy_slacko64_5.9.1.sfs) with those from JL64, edit isolinux.cfg to suit (don't forget to replace initrd.gz with initrd.xz) and see how far you can get in the boot process.

If you have any success, we can make a truly retro iso for truly older 64 bit boxes!

James C

#197 Post by James C »

I just completed building a brand new UEFI AMD hexa-core box and this is the maiden live test run.No swap yet because I haven't partitioned the ssd or hdd yet.

Booted to a prompt,used "xorgwizard-puppy" and easily got the desired 1400x900 resolution.All appears to be working well from the live cd.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: Just-Lighthouse64 Kernel: 4.1.3-JL-64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Openbox 3.5.0 Distro: unknown
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 LE R2.0 version: Rev 1.xx Bios: American Megatrends version: 2601 date: 03/24/2015
CPU:       Hexa core AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (-MCP-) cache: 12288 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 42145.7 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1400.00 MHz 2: 3500.00 MHz 3: 1400.00 MHz 4: 2000.00 MHz 5: 1400.00 MHz 6: 3500.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: nVidia GT218 [GeForce 210] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.org: 1.12.3 driver: N/A tty size: 124x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card-1: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2 Sound: ALSA ver: k4.1.3-JL-64
           Card-2: nVidia High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1 
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1120.2GB (-) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: KINGSTON_SV300S3 size: 120.0GB 
Partition: 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 21.9C mobo: N/A gpu: 39.0 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 161 Uptime: 12 min Memory: 520.2/7886.4MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.2.53) inxi: 1.9.7 

Video-Info 1.5.2 - Fri 7 Aug 2015 on Just-Lighthouse64 603 - Linux 4.1.3-JL-64 x86_64

Chip description:
    0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)  
    oem: NVIDIA
    product: GT218 Board - 08720002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg  Driver used: modesetting
  X.Org version: 1.12.3
    dimensions:    1440x900 pixels (381x238 millimeters)
    depth of root window:    24 planes 

-Computer-
Processor		: 6x AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
Memory		: 8075MB (810MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: Just-Lighthouse 64 6.02 MF
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Fri Aug  7 16:52:46 2015
-Display-
Resolution		: 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter		: PC-Speaker - pcsp

edoc

#198 Post by edoc »

Dry Falls wrote:uploaded 150804-JL64-603.iso. k4.13. patched.
Y'all's messin' up my head ...
150726-JL64-603.iso
Aug 4

150726-JL64-603.iso.md5sum.txt
Aug 4

150804-JL64-603.iso
Aug 4
I recently traded for a third used Dell Latitude D630 laptop 2x Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.00GHz. 3067 RAM HDD: ATA Fujitsu MJA2250B 250GB SATA

Which version should I try on it, please?

Eight now I have it booted from DVD with 4.0.1-JL-64 downloaded 27July2015
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Dry Falls

#199 Post by Dry Falls »

edoc wrote:
Y'all's messin' up my head ...
opening post: release notes. And a few pages back,
Dry Falls wrote:@twimc: the delta patches and kernel packages are (at least from here on) for applying to a save file if you're working on an earlier version. If you get the latest iso, you won't need them.
I figured a new iso was warranted to go with the upgraded kernel. Didn't upload a mid-sum file for this one. If click-to-verify-iso says "ok", it's probably ok.

df

Sylvander

#200 Post by Sylvander »

@Dry Falls

1. "what you're looking for is the default (first) entry in grub.cfg:
Code:
"
My new custom-jL64-603-saveondemand.iso has in its grub.cfg file the following code:

set timeout=10
menuentry "Default Just-Lighthouse64 - noautosave" {
    linux /vmlinuz pfix=noautosave,copy,fsck
Methinks the timeout=10 is too short, because the menu flashes on screen for much less than a second [10ms?] and is gone.
How best to fix this?

2. "Insert this ahead of line 33 on isolinux.cfg:"
Here's the new/added code beginning line 33, ending on line 40:

label lhp-save-on-demand
linux vmlinuz
append pfix=noautosave,copy
initrd initrd.xz
menu label 1a ^Just-Lighthouse64
text help
  Start Just-Lighthouse64 with save-on-demand
endtext
Is this all good?

3. "You might want to change line 3 from "timeout 100" to "timeout 10"
You can see I've done this, by the code in 1 above.
Seems to have produced an undesirable result = menu time on screen too short.

4. "1. create a directory on your drive named "JL64-livecdbuild"
2. mount iso & copy contents into it (leave out 'boot.cat' to be safe, but it should be written over if you don't)
3. menu ->setup ->Remaster Lighthouse
4. remaster will ask which drive/partition you want to use for the build directory. Pick that one.
5. Then it will find the directory you just created and ask if you want to use it with files unchanged. Hit yes. Then yes again to build the iso. The whole process only takes seconds.
"
a. I deleted/eliminated "boot.catalog", but it re-appeared in the final contents on the CD-RW.
b. It was indeed easy enough to remaster the ISO file, and burn a new/apdated CD-RW.

5. " JL64 does not save until shutdown (event manager setting)"
I see the "Event Manager" "Save interval" is set to zero [0], so no auto-saving during the session, which is GOOD, but I miss the "Save..." icon on the desktop that allows me to save at a moment of my choosing. :(

6. "it will ask you whether or not you want to save the session (rc.shutdown configuration) then..."
Sadly...I'm NOT asked at shutdown/reboot whether I want "to save or not to save"; the OS just saves whether I like it or not. :( .

7. "Menu entry 1 (pupmode=12)"
This is the menu entry I normall choose; aught I to be choosing some other menu entry?
I saw, I think, that pupmodes =4 or 5 or 13 would have been more likely to suit my requirements, but [4 or 5] not available?
Which menu entry gives pupmode=13?

8. I noticed also that the fancy info in the middle of the desktop had GONE, and it would be nice to have that.

edoc

#201 Post by edoc »

Opened this one on the Dell D630 and looks OK so far.

Desktop has a little overlap on the information splashes & I still have to turn off display Power Management to avoid permanent screen dimming after a while. (That appears t be device-specific.)

CUPS flickers but finds nothing and posts no message saying that it finds nothing when asked to "Find New Printers" - even though there is a Shared & Default toggled printer on the network to which it is connected.

Do I have to have the driver loaded on every computer that uses the printer or only the quasi-host computer. (I say "quasi-host" as the printer is physically connected to the router but managed by another computer than this one.)

Also, it's a Brother HL-2275DW printer and I have the wireless feature activated - my smartphone finds and prints successfully to that same printer, wirelessly.

Have to head out - will look at this again later.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Dry Falls

#202 Post by Dry Falls »

Sylvander wrote:...2. "Insert this ahead of line 33 on isolinux.cfg:"
Here's the new/added code beginning line 33, ending on line 40:

label lhp-save-on-demand
linux vmlinuz
append pfix=noautosave,copy
initrd initrd.xz
menu label 1a ^Just-Lighthouse64
text help
  Start Just-Lighthouse64 with save-on-demand
endtext
Is this all good?...
6. "it will ask you whether or not you want to save the session (rc.shutdown configuration) then..." ...
Thanks so much for actually testing the boot configs, Sylvander. It now makes sense to me. I'd wrongly assumed isolinux and grub were somehow translatable but they're not.

Apparently isolinux was thinking miliseconds so timeout=100 is what you want.

What surprised me is that where grub2 defaults to the first menu entry if you don't make a selection (this I knew), isolinux very first line, originally "default lhp" selects the menu entry which has "label lhp" no matter where it is in the list. So unless you made a selection, you were always going to go to pupmode=12. The only one without a shutdown dialog! Here is a better isolinux.cfg:
Attachments
isolinux.cfg-fake.gz
(5.85 KiB) Downloaded 218 times

Dry Falls

#203 Post by Dry Falls »

Sylvander wrote:7. "Menu entry 1 (pupmode=12)"
This is the menu entry I normall choose; aught I to be choosing some other menu entry?
I saw, I think, that pupmodes =4 or 5 or 13 would have been more likely to suit my requirements, but [4 or 5] not available?
Which menu entry gives pupmode=13?

8. I noticed also that the fancy info in the middle of the desktop had GONE, and it would be nice to have that.
I tried this method (force pupmode=13) in grub2

menuentry "Start Just-Lighthouse64 - standard hdnosave" {
    linux /vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash pdev1=sda10 pfix=copy,fsck
    initrd /initrd.xz
}
and it is virtually indistinguishable from the default "noautosave" which is pupmode=14. If you specify the same pmedia parameter in the default entry, you will get pupmode=15.

Either way, you should get the save session icon on the desktop. However, the shutdown script/event handler might not be able to find the correct medium to save to. I don't think that would occur, but it's a possibility.

As to item 8, the handy eye candy (superkaramba side bar) autostarts with the 4_kde sfs loaded. 'sidebar' is in the /root/Startup folder.

@edoc, my 64 bit box isn't wireless capable. I have to have the printer plugged directly in, and not in my router. It's a cheap eth0 wired/wireless modem/router. My printer (canon) has to be plugged into the router for my old wireless laptop with precise5.71 to find it. Not having the appropriate equipment or background, I'm pretty uncomfortable even discussing networking issues. Sorry.

In cups, use "add printer", not "find new printer" the first time you use it. The Brother drivers should already be in the database. You shouldn't have to add them.

df

ps. I fixed the missing python bindings in 3_devextras addon so system-config-printer works now too. will upload the delta patch shortly (3_devxtra64-603.sfs___3_devxtra64-603.sfs.delta which is 3.5M).

Sylvander

#204 Post by Sylvander »

SUCCESS! :D

1. Made a new CD-RW disk, incorporating your isolinux.cfg file, and all is as I want it to be.
i.e.
a. A "Save..." icon on the desktop, so I can manually save at a moment of my choosing.
b. Offered the choice at shutdown/reboot "to save or not to save".
c. The desktop looks as I like it.
d. I noticed that the 1st session [no use of save file] pupmode=5, and once I'd made a save file and rebooted the pupmode=14.
Just as it should be?

Something odd?
2. The startup menu has items in the order = 1, 3, 2, and...
1 and 2 look to be identical, but may not be.
I normally choose 1.

A wish...
3 All those luverly file explorers, but Xfe [my favorite] not included.
I guess I'll need to experiment with the others.
a. Or is there a PET file for a 64-bit Xfe?
I'll look in the PPM.
------------------------------------------
Strange PPM...listed Xfe, so I began to install, but it asked for a directory to download it to...
So I chose a directory, and then it said that Xfe couldn't be found.
Was it going to install using a PET file held in a folder?
So...

4. I searched in the Puppy forums for xfe-1.32.5-600.pet [listed as this in the PPM], and found that Tazoc had given me a link to this in 2013.
Downloaded it to the jLH "Download" folder, then rebooted into jLH, ran the PET file, and Xfe installed, but it wouldn't run.
Missing dependency = libFOX-1.6.so.0.
I cannot find a PET for this on the forums.
Anyone have a link?

Dry Falls

xfce

#205 Post by Dry Falls »

xfce 4.10.5 and all the gvs etc files are on the 4_kde addon. It should autoload at first boot. In pup shutdown menu xfce should be available from the change wm dialog.

Your bootinit.log should have something like this line in it:

4_kde-4.10.5-x86_64-alt.sfs min to copy: 400M free: 3004M... copying to RAM.
On the iso, hit 'click-to-verify-mariner' (or open it as text) and it will do a midsum check. It may have been a botched iso I uploaded!

On the other hand, it may be the BOOTCONFIG in /etc/rc.d in the initrd.xz. There is an edit initrd script on the iso. If you use it, don't close the editor with 'init' until you're finished. Closing it will trigger rebuilding the initrd.xz. The safest way is to back up the initrd file before editing or drag and copy the init-tree elsewhere so you can use it later. initrd.txt is inside (also in /etc.rc.d) and contains the code to manually expand, edit and reassemble the file.

I seem to have the numbers transposed in the isolinux cfg. Thanks for pointing it out. As it stands, menu 1 has 'append pfix=noautosave,copy,fsck'. menu 2 (which should read '3') has no appended boot parameters. I left in Tazoc's "Start Just-Lighthouse64 normally." Well, it's not "normal" for me either!

df

Dry Falls

#206 Post by Dry Falls »

@ Sylvander, I think I misread your post. You're looking for xfe file manager, not window/desktop manager. Right? I use rox, but I kind of like spaceFM. It's what a person is used to for sure. I'll see what I can come up with for a pet.

df

Dry Falls

xfe-1.37-x86_64-JL64.sfs

#207 Post by Dry Falls »

uploaded xfe-1.37-x86_64-JL64.sfs to gdrive. Talk about dependencies! 27M for a 6M file manager. But it looks pretty cool. Includes mesa-9.17 from slackware, fox-toolkit from fatdog700b, libxcb bindings & libxshm from ubuntu and updated libpng.

df

James C

#208 Post by James C »

Since someone mentioned Slacko64........ live cd on my new UEFI/secure boot (disabled) box.
Trying to decide what to install...... :lol:

-Computer-
Processor		: 6x AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
Memory		: 8078MB (370MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: Slacko64 Puppy - 5.9.1
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Mon 10 Aug 2015 10:23:26 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution		: 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Gallium 0.4 on NVA8
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter		: PC-Speaker - pcsp
-Input Devices-
 Power Button
 Power Button
 AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
 PC Speaker
 ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF		: <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA KINGSTON SV300S3
ATA WDC WD10EZEX-00B
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB

# uname -a
Linux puppypc21332 3.12.22 #1 SMP Wed Jun 25 06:57:50 EST 2014 x86_64 AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
Attachments
Slacko64.jpg
(65.61 KiB) Downloaded 236 times

Dry Falls

#209 Post by Dry Falls »

James C wrote:Since someone mentioned Slacko64........ live cd on my new UEFI/secure boot (disabled) box.
So is there a trick to 'legacy' booting a uefi box? I have legacy boot enabled in "bios", secure boot disabled, fatdog & canonical certs and boot order=1usb, 2cd/dvd, 3bootmanager, 4lan. My box is ca 2014 acer. It will only boot grub2 from the tray and usb ONLY with mswindows (8.1) recovery. Even dd iso to usb fails. So the only way I can start any linux is with a dual hybrid uefi cd or dvd in the tray. Everything else is ignored and I get the windows boot manager.

df

James C

#210 Post by James C »

Dry Falls wrote:
James C wrote:Since someone mentioned Slacko64........ live cd on my new UEFI/secure boot (disabled) box.
So is there a trick to 'legacy' booting a uefi box? I have legacy boot enabled in "bios", secure boot disabled, fatdog & canonical certs and boot order=1usb, 2cd/dvd, 3bootmanager, 4lan. My box is ca 2014 acer. It will only boot grub2 from the tray and usb ONLY with mswindows (8.1) recovery. Even dd iso to usb fails. So the only way I can start any linux is with a dual hybrid uefi cd or dvd in the tray. Everything else is ignored and I get the windows boot manager.

df
It appears that each manufacturer treats UEFI/secure boot somewhat differently.I intentionally used the same Asus mobo on both the 6 and 8 core builds because it just works.

Secure boot disabled. Boot order is usb,optical,and ssd.No problems here booting anything.Hard drive installs are booted with good old legacy Grub and I usually use Rufus for usb drives.Basically doing everything the same as I did for older non-UEFI/secure boot boxes once I disable secure boot.
http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Haven't discovered anything that wouldn't boot yet. :)

Sylvander

#211 Post by Sylvander »

@Dry Falls

1. " You're looking for xfe file manager, not window/desktop manager. Right?"
Right.

2. "It's what a person is used to for sure."
I really like the twin file panes that give the option to "Copy to..." or "Move to...", from the chosen source pane with the other pane as the default destination.
Plus I know exactly how to make it do stuff.
Some stuff ROX does better, and I use ROX for that.
But I'd like to explore the other File Managers included in jLH64.

3. "uploaded xfe-1.37-x86_64-JL64.sfs to gdrive"
So where do I go to get it? Where is gdrive? Out on the cloud? Link?
Or is it now in the jLH64 PPM?
How come the jLH64 PPM has stuff listed as available, but when I go to install an item, it appears to be unavailable?

Dry Falls

#212 Post by Dry Falls »

@ Sylvandr: gdrive means where you got the iso. On opening post scroll down to where it says
  • Download Link:
    JL64-603( Just-Lighthouse64)
I put everything there. I'd repeat Tazoc's caution about PPM. Use packages built for this distro first. The fatdog distro sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. That is the 600 series, which is fairly compatible but not maintained. Better sometimes to just go to fd's ftp://ibiblio site and download from there. Most everything at lhp.org still works. The slackware distros install pretty well but gslapt does it better.

Gslapt uses /var/log/packages to determine what's already installed and what's not and to determine dependencies. At this point, that is the more complete directory. PPM reads woof-installed-packages and the builtin_files directory to assemble its 'layers' file. It errors a bit more but generally does a pretty good job. I've had some luck with puppy noarch through ppm.

df

Sylvander

#213 Post by Sylvander »

@Dry Falls

1. "...gdrive means where you got the iso. On opening post scroll down to where it says

Download Link:
JL64-603( Just-Lighthouse64)
"
Got it, now downloaded, and loading at startup. :D
It's working just fine, except...
As per usual, the "Right-click->Open with..." needs to be populated.
I have a link somewhere, with instructions on how to do that.
It's a pest to have to do that, but worth doing.
I wish someone would fix Xfe [hint, hint].
Would you like me to post that link?
Here it is = http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 478#545478
[In Konqueror, how should I make some text link to a web page?]

2. "...just go to fd's ftp://ibiblio site and download from there."
Erm...would that be here?

3. "Most everything at lhp.org still works. The slackware distros install pretty well but gslapt does it better."
This, to me, is like a foriegn language.
A bit like Parliamo Glesca of the 1960's.
I understand this, do you? :wink:
But I need a translation for the above.

Dry Falls

#214 Post by Dry Falls »

1...[In Konqueror, how should I make some text link to a web page?]
2...Erm...would that be here?
3...gslapt does it better."
This, to me, is like a foriegn language.
1. Konqueror-spot is configured with less restrictions than konqueror run as root. In case you missed it, internet apps run as spot are in menu -> Internet. Browsers opened from the wbar (bottom of screen) run as root. You need to play with konqueror's preferences like enabling javascript.
2. yes
3. In the above post, I said distros when I should have said repos. Better?

In the desktop folder (icon at top left of screen) is PUpD-chooser showing the different update/package managers available. Gslapt is the "official" slackware package manager. Lighthouse update is basically informational. Basically a list of what specific to lighthouse is available. If you try to use it as it is intended (like "get updates") it will open PPM. This is because I haven't yet got a repo to host Just-lighthouse. Google is already starting to show an unfriendly side. Soon it will be "no more mister nice guy" if you don't use chrome/chromium. I use g-drive with reluctance.

lhp.org is Tazoc's site for lighthouse (the original).
Yes, Scottish is loads easier to navigate!
xfe open-with needs to point to /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith/ or mime-types. Not sure how one would go about that. I'll try the script. Maybe it's something we can transplant.

Dry Falls

JL64 docs

#215 Post by Dry Falls »

Repaired JL64 helpfiles & etc.
Attachments
FixDocs-JL64.pet
(77.16 KiB) Downloaded 290 times