Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 08 Jul 2015, 02:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puppy for Ancient Computer?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
HaloArchive

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jun 2015, 12:15    Post subject:  Puppy for Ancient Computer?
Subject description: 400Mhz, 64MB

Hello Everyone,

I have an old i686 Celeron PC at 400MHz that has 64MB of ram

and I also have an old Cyrix/IBM powered 66MHz PC with about 8MB of SIMM ram.

I have gotten lost in the list of all of the puppy distros and was wondering what distributions are recommended for me. Obviously a bare bones but with GUI is what I am after with a Ubuntu base (such as puppy Smile )

Any Suggestions?

Thanks!
Halo
starhawk

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jun 2015, 13:21    Post subject:  

Don't bother with the Cyrix based one. Trust me. That's a system for DOS games if I've ever heard it.

The Celeron in your better system (of the two) is a Pentium II based chip; specifically, this one --> http://ark.intel.com/products/27186

That is a generation newer than i686, which was Pentium Pro. You can run any modern Pup on that system, so long as the Pup does not require PAE compatibility -- however, you are going to have a positively tremendous speed penalty from that CPU being so ancient, and at 64mb the RAM isn't exactly helping your case. Is there any way at all you can increase the RAM?

Regardless, I would recommend Precise Puppy 571 Retro. It is non-PAE (good, in this case) and I have it running on a 300MHz Pentium II laptop which has 128mb RAM. It really walks rather than runs, but you really can't expect too much from that kind of hardware...

Sylvander

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jun 2015, 17:36    Post subject:  

Try this:
puppy-431-boxpup.iso = 105.1M [will that load into 64MB of RAM?]
This was got here among the "ISO image files".
Way back when, about 2003 perhaps, it was my favourite Puppy; a touch of class.
Apparently it will read ext4 filesystems.
bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2015, 01:38    Post subject:  

Make a Linux swap partition on the hard drive to help support the low amount of ram.

Make it a size of about 4 times the amount of ram you have.

If Puppy is all that will be on the computer.
Make 2 partitions on the hard drive.

Make one partition a Linux ext 3 format.
Install Puppy on it.

The other one a Linux swap partition.

Installing Puppy to the hard drive as a full install may help it run faster.
The programs will be slow loading, but as a full install, it will make Puppy only load the minimum necessary data into ram, that is needed to run Puppy and the program.

nic007

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2015, 03:43    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Make a Linux swap partition on the hard drive to help support the low amount of ram.

Make it a size of about 4 times the amount of ram you have.

If Puppy is all that will be on the computer.
Make 2 partitions on the hard drive.

Make one partition a Linux ext 3 format.
Install Puppy on it.

The other one a Linux swap partition.

The programs will be slow loading, but as a full install, it will make Puppy only load the minimum necessary data into ram, that is needed to run Puppy and the program.

Will a full install run faster than a frugal install because if you don't have enough RAM puppy will only load the necessary files into RAM if you have a frugal install also. Have any tests been done to actually validate that a full install will run better in this scenario (let's say you create a linux swap partition for frugal too)? I ask this because there are so many other advantages running frugal instead.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2015, 08:10    Post subject: Full vs. Frugal -- Analogous Tests  

nic007 wrote:
bigpup wrote:

Have any tests been done to actually validate that a full install will run better in this scenario?

I didn't run tests to compare Full vs. Frugal Installs. But awhile ago I ran analogous tests to compare resource consumption of pets (installed to a SaveFile), SFSes and applications run as Program Folders. The difference between the first two and the last is that the first two are maintained as compressed files --either as part of the SaveFiles or individually-- while the last was decompressed onto /mnt/home and accessed via symlinks. For a Table of their comparative resource consumption, see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=686093&sid=cbae5bff11db27f163f730e0b57837da#686093

As a layman, I read rcrsn51's post, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29356 to mean that a Full install decompresses Puppy's files to the hard drive. My guess regarding the increased resources required when either pets or SFSes are employed rather than Program Folders is that to be used the required parts of the former have first to be decompressed before copied into RAM as needed while the latter, already decompressed, only have to be copied. I would expect a Full Install to reflect an analogous lower need of resource usage for that reason.

By similar reasoning, using SaveFolders rather than SaveFiles should also reflect less usage of CPU and RAM.

mikesLr
HaloArchive

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2015, 11:30    Post subject:  

First off I wanted to say thanks to all of you guys for the information thus far!

Now, I took the advice of the original poster and grabbed puppy retro and it indeed load but after waiting for 2 hours, the desktop environment off of the live CD never worked fully and if I accidentally right clicked or moved my mouse it would take about 20 minutes to catch up with what I was doing :/

So, needless to say, it was impossible to ever get it loaded onto the harddrive.

Not unless there was a command line argument I should have used at boot time to get the install process started immediately? -- If not then I think I need something even lighter!

And it would be nice to get something running on the Cyrix 6x86 chip I have but I doubt it. It used to run Windows 95 and even that was slow. It uses 72 pin SIMM ram and I have not been able to find any for free to increase my RAM capacity Razz
Fossil

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun 2015, 16:04    Post subject:  

@ HaloArchive. Welcome! With regard the Cyrix 6x86 chip. That machine is seriously undernourished in every department. Unless you feel like flagellating a moribund equine, don't bother! Make a good doorstop?
Back to the question. Why not try Murga's 'Mean Puppy'. Old? Yes, but worth a punt. If only to get the machine running. https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_mean-puppy-2.02-opera
Then, take yourself over to here: http://412collection.neocities.org/ Again old, but there's still life in these old dogs!
Best solution: get some more RAM in the machine. Max it out.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: