Slacko sees my Garmin action cam when other OS wouldn't

Promote Puppy !
rAndMLemnT

Slacko sees my Garmin action cam when other OS wouldn't

#1 Post by rAndMLemnT »

So, because I have engaged in video editing from my Garmin action cam, and because that company treats Linux users as having no class at all, I held my nose and bought the full version of 8.1 (you know the one). Last night, the install media would not recognize my new PNY CS2000 SERIES SSD. 240 GB.

Well, guess what?!? Puppy, X Slacko 1.0 in this case, recognized it IMMEDIATELY. This is whining and ranting for the most part, against the 50 ton gorilla. One would think, with the immense resources such a corporation has at it's disposal, that detecting a SSD would be a cakewalk. Not so. I am not asking for help in this case. Not at all.

I am praising to the Heavens, sane, logical, and dependable operating systems AND the multitudes--up to and including Barry that make such 'alternative' OS's possible. That is all. That, and 'you know who' sucks.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

You can name who you mean.

rAndMLemnT

SSDeliverance

#3 Post by rAndMLemnT »

My title should have been more specific. I gave Win 8.1 (with free upgrade to '10) about a week on my box. The screen resolution was HORRIBLE. Windows support forums were anything but. Sorting out and downloading the correct driver accomplished nothing. Fortunately, the big box store where I bought the crap gave me a refund! I am just going to be satisfied w/o overlays on my action cam videos. Not the adrenaline junkie type anyway. So that garbage has been secure deleted. This episode reminded me of when, (over a decade ago) and why, I went Linux only and that was back when it was not nearly as user friendly as it is now.

Dpup

Puppy Puli 6.0.2

#4 Post by Dpup »

Interesting... I found (see other posts) that my new GoPro Hero4 Action camera along with several e-readers, tablets and smartphones connect very well with Puppy Puli 6.0.2 via MTP to download, edit and upload files. My kids bought me an expensive Win 8.1 laptop to do this, but never was able to get Win 8.1 to work... then the worse part happened... the new Win 8.1 laptop after less than 4 hours use became disabled, impaired, message said my "subscription" had expired... demanded payment... and I noticed too that the new laptop was full of other subscription based bloatware.

This was my second bad experience with Windows... Several years earlier with Win Vista, brand new out of box found to have 492 infections !!!... found that China factory where laptops being built had infected units on the production line.

Am not going to subscribe... Puppy Linux and apps doing everything I need with the video clips and photos.