DebianDog - Jessie (21 June 2017)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
backi

#826 Post by backi »

Hi mcewanw !
Xenial dog .....frisbee does not find networks.....this issue is discussed in the Xenial dog thread.I stopped fiddling round with this network problem.....will look into it later again if these issues are solved .

Greetings!

rufwoof

#827 Post by rufwoof »

I had issues with frisbee when I started using DD-Jessie and removed that to replace it with wicd via Synaptic. That's worked well for me since.

LesStrater

#828 Post by LesStrater »

rufwoof wrote:I had issues with frisbee when I started using DD-Jessie and removed that to replace it with wicd via Synaptic. That's worked well for me since.
Wicd also gets my vote. I had nothing but problems with Frisbee on the different distros I tried. I had to mix and match Frisbee versions and wpa_supplicant versions until I found the right combination that worked.
Wicd worked right from the start. When you install it from Synaptic it will delete Frisbee as part of the install process. (TIP: If you don't see any available wireless networks the first time you run it, check the setup menu and enter wlan0 or wlan1 - whichever your system is configured for.)

fredx181

#829 Post by fredx181 »

Hi backi, all,

For testing here are .squashfs modules for moksha desktop and e20 enlightenment compiled on DD-jessie:
Moksha:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... a.squashfs
E20:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... 0.squashfs

A few themes are included.
Load with Sfs-load during a session or place in your "live" folder and reboot.

For moksha themes, .deb packages are available here:
http://packages.bodhilinux.com/bodhi/pool/main/b/
(bodhi-theme-e17***)

For e20, some themes can be found on the net, not much though.
Probably most e19 themes work also for e20.

To get icons on the desktop for moksha, you need to enable the filemanager module (EFM (Starter))

So far I had no crashes, tested both on Jwm and on Openbox version.

For who doesn't know, to start enlightenment, edit ~/.xsession:
Change "exec ......." to "exec enlightenment_start"
For Jwm version also edit ~/startup-jwm also; comment out the /usr/bin/rox... pinbd &... line, like this:

Code: Select all

# test configuration 3
#/usr/bin/rox -p ${HOME}/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/pinbd &
/opt/bin/start-up &
frisbee-tray &
volumeicon &
sleep 2
desktop_drive_icons &
EDIT: desktop_drive_icons has no transparency with Moksha, with E20 it's fine.
EDIT2: Allthough the install path (/usr/local) is different from official Debian e17, I'd still recommend to uninstall e17 first (if installed).
(and remove/backup ~/.e ~/.ecore ~/.elementary)
EDIT3: forgot to mention: first time loading Moksha shows message that 'epulse' module cannot be loaded, just click 'unload' then.(maybe because pulse not installed or/and not included support for it in the build (just guessing).
EDIT4: Oops, just see now that the option to combine themes isn't there anymore in E20 (or maybe there's a different way??), that's a big disadvantage!

Have fun!

Fred
Attachments
e20.jpg
E20 on Openbox version
(98.04 KiB) Downloaded 1006 times

backi

Debian Dog E17 and more

#830 Post by backi »

Hi fred ...
Cool !! E .. keeps your Disco rocking and rolling :D

Thanks for your effort !

Did a bit testing ....
for Moksha ....cannot find much difference to the Debian E17 ...except (until now ) under >Setting Panels>Files ....there is a thing called Places ...
which i configured to use custom Filemanager ....in my case Pcmanfm .....to get access to my drive-partition.
E20 much the same ....but sadly ...mixing of Themes does not work any longer .
I followed the discussion on Bodhi Linux ......a lot of people wished to go back to E17 ...that`s why they did Moksha as fork of E17 .......but as i said ..i cant figure out much difference ..
I keep on playing with Moksha and E20 and will have some fun with my blinging Disco .
So i will report any new discoveries .

Thank you fred :D

rufwoof

Remastering

#831 Post by rufwoof »

Wow!

Just remastered on a single core Celeron and it took forever as /opt/bin/remasterdog is using maximum compression (I gave up waiting). Changing the mksquashfs stage from

xterm -T "RemasterDog" -si -sb -fg white -bg SkyBlue4 -geometry 65x14 -e "mksquashfs "$WORK" "$SQFS" -comp xz -b 512k -Xbcj x86"
to

xterm -T "RemasterDog" -si -sb -fg white -bg SkyBlue4 -geometry 65x14 -e "mksquashfs "$WORK" "$SQFS" -comp lzo -Xcompression-level 1"
so as to use lzo compression instead of xz high compression results in a larger squashfs file, but remasters quicker and generally loads/runs quicker.

Personally I find lzo light compression (level 1) is a reasonably good general choice of filesize reduction versus throughput. Typically halves the filesize whilst compressing/decompressing relatively quickly.

For multi-core, lz4 is even better as it uses all cores (very quick) so decompression speeds can be very quick.

rufwoof

#832 Post by rufwoof »

Rebooting and opening a terminal window and running :

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get clean

Resulted in quite a large update for me today DD-Jessie (OpenBox).

Looked like a Libre upgrade/fix.

Ran save2flash
Ran RemasterDog (using lz4).
Replaced 01-filesystem.squashfs with the new remastered version
Created a folder and dragged/dropped (moved) all of the "changes" folder content to that new folder to leave a empty changes folder content ... rebooted and all running great (deleted the folder containing the prior changes folder content after having rebooted). 671MB 01-filesystem.squashfs filesize now, much the same as it was before (changes folder was something like 370MB after the Libre updates).

Can't see much in the way of changes to Libre office. All looks the same as before.

... searching around found https://www.debian.org/security/2016/dsa-3608

Date Reported:
29 Jun 2016
Affected Packages:
libreoffice
Vulnerable:
Yes

Aleksandar Nikolic discovered that missing input sanitising in the RTF parser in Libreoffice may result in the execution of arbitrary code if a malformed documented is opened.

For the stable distribution (jessie), this problem has been fixed in version 1:4.3.3-2+deb8u5.

Running
apt --installed list

shows : libreoffice/stable,now 1:4.3.3-2+deb8u5 i386 [installed]

Just LOVE DEBIANDOG JESSIE STABLE xxx So much quicker and easier to update than puppy. More solid/stable. But with the optional persistence benefits of puppy that enables you to run factory-fresh pristine images at each reboot. Grrrr 8

backi

#833 Post by backi »

Just LOVE DEBIANDOG JESSIE STABLE xxx So much quicker and easier to update than puppy. More solid/stable. But with the optional persistence benefits of puppy that enables you to run factory-fresh pristine images at each reboot.
I have to agree .....D.D. is is fucking cool ......

Linux Deluxe ....
" The Philosofers Stone " ----....----......" The Holy Grail "......
O.K ...i will cool down ... you see i am quite enthusiasticx.... :D

rufwoof

#834 Post by rufwoof »

My 01-filesystem.squashfs is around 1.6GB uncompressed.

Just edited /opt/bin/remasterdog to use no compression i.e.

-noD -noI -noF -noX parameters (that's a capital i in the -noi value)

so near the bottom the relevant lines looks like :

xterm -T "RemasterDog" -si -sb -fg white -bg SkyBlue4 -geometry 65x14 -e "mksquashfs "$WORK" "$SQFS" -noX -noI -noF -noD"
Resulted in a 1.4GB filesize, and running well. Nice and snappy.

fredx181

#835 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

DebianDog Organization on github https://github.com/DebianDog/ has a (simple) website now:

https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/

It's an attempt to collect everything related to 'DebianDog or similar projects' in one place, but still a work in progress.

Any suggestions or ideas to improve are welcome! Or, even better, contribute!
(but be gentle please as I am a newbie creating websites, learning fast though ;))

Some time ago I didn't like Github very much, now I became friends more and more...
Hosting a website is one of the very nice options github offers.

Fred

Belham

#836 Post by Belham »

fredx181 wrote:Hi All,

DebianDog Organization on github https://github.com/DebianDog/ has a (simple) website now:

It's an attempt to collect everything related to 'DebianDog or similar projects' in one place, but still a work in progress.

Any suggestions or ideas to improve are welcome! Or, even better, contribute!
(but be gentle please as I am a newbie creating websites, learning fast though ;))

Some time ago I didn't like Github very much, now I became friends more and more...
Hosting a website is one of the very nice options github offers.

Fred

Fred,

Hey, that is one nice looking website for the Debiandogs. :) Professional looking with a simple, understandable layout---something many website developers have completely forgotten nowadays. Great job. Github has really developed a nice niche and ecosystem for themselves over the years. As a side note, it sure is nice (or making one feel relieved, haha) to see you moved the DebianDog64-bit download off that previous download location and onto your own dl.dropbox. With Dropbox (or similar services) you'll keep more control & security over what you develop & do and avoid any "Linux Mint'-type nasty surprises.

rufwoof

#837 Post by rufwoof »

Looking great Fred. Doesn't feel right pointing out a tiny error against such a great effort ... but for completeness I did spot typo's on the DebianDog Jessie 64 page

Specifications:
Build from an absulute minimal Debian-Jessie amd64 full install.

Built ... absolute

There's also Build that should be Built on the XenialDog page also

Specifications:
Build -> Built

Love the running dog HOME menu icon Image

Belham

#838 Post by Belham »

rufwoof wrote:

Looking great Fred. Doesn't feel right pointing out a tiny error against such a great effort ... but for completeness I did spot typo's on the DebianDog Jessie 64 page

Specifications:

Built ... absolute

There's also Build that should be Built on the XenialDog page also

Specifications:
Build -> Built

Love the running dog HOME menu icon Image

LOL, rufwoof, are you speaking, reading and writing in Dutch too over there in Brexit land?? I think maybe you should get in a lory, pick me (since I am in a direct line of sight between Fred & you), we'll acquire several cases of the Monk's finest right before we hit the Dutch border, and then deliver them to our DebainDog master as a big "thank you". That is if we don't get lost sampling our cargo on the way :) "Absulute"?........lol.......now I think I can finally understand how the ridiculousness of the Brexit vote actually occurred...haha (just joking with ya :D )

rufwoof

#839 Post by rufwoof »

"Absulute"?........lol
That's how it was spelt on the web pages, I was just highlighting the error.
Last edited by rufwoof on Fri 08 Jul 2016, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

rufwoof

#840 Post by rufwoof »

fredx181 wrote:For testing here are .squashfs modules for moksha desktop and e20 enlightenment compiled on DD-jessie:
Moksha:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... a.squashfs ......
Running your moksha squashfs under DD-Jessie 32 Openbox

A-Bodhi-nessV2 is nice once you get used to the close/minimise/expand buttons being on the 'wrong' (left) side.

Like how changing desktops has the windows explode outwards.

That theme is a little dark and not so good for newbie's, but providing you're familiar with DDJessie then the darkness is OK.

Thanks Fred
Attachments
ss.png
(190.7 KiB) Downloaded 489 times

Belham

#841 Post by Belham »

rufwoof wrote:
"Absulute"?........lol
That's how it was spelt on the web pages, I was just highlighting the error.
now I think I can finally understand how the ridiculousness of the Brexit vote
Brexit is going well IMO. Just need to ensure that whoever does drive it through does so in a appropriate manner. Controlled borders opens up greater wealth sharing around internally - will raise the living standards of many who have endured years of downside wage pressures to again having sufficient income to provide for their family.

The Swiss recently voted on whether each adult should receive US$2800/month, but rejected that as the EU is insisting its earlier border control vote cannot be implemented (such a handout would become a migration magnet). OUT and we'll be better positioned to drive through such wealth sharing. Sadly the benefits of robotics/technology hasn't been for the benefit of all, instead just widened the wealth gap. In the forward deflationary era (over-capacity, where China can export the likes of steel at below cost) and a third of global government bonds having negative real yields, globalisation/open borders will either need to see declines (look after domestic population as a priority over others), or see continued decline/hardship. Brexit is a step in the right direction that in years to come we'll look back like the Pound and be glad we didn't adopt the Euro.

The UK has one of the worlds most soundly structured debt and around $60Bn of that has been in effect wiped out by a declining pound. That will also make the transition away from importing from the EU (a 100B/year Euro deficit trade activity) into the UK less attractive, which will help the UK economy further as that's instead sourced locally or from the rest of the world. It also helps offset the negative effects of the 1 trillion/year Euro's that the ECB is printing to float the EU, a ponzi system that sooner or later will break and the less interconnected into that the UK is the better.

There is nothing that you wrote that I disagree with.

(Update: 9 Jul 2016, 13:03)
(apologize, Fred, rufwoof and all, for getting off topic a bit , following rufwoof's lead and deleting the politico-talk and focusing on DD :D )

Ok, enuff political stuff..........let's talk DebianDog: I read your posts where you talk about loading the sfs. Do you boot DebianDog pristine every time, and then load your sfs with all your data and stuff in it, so that you always have the choice to run either "fresh/pristine" and/or "with your stuff"?? Also, when you update DebianDog, do you do it in the "fresh/prisitne" or do you do it after you load the sfs, or does it even matter?? I am slowly coming to realize, like you and others have talked about on here, that it is really nice how updates are so easy in DebianDog versus what I have to do to keep other puppy distros up to date.
Last edited by Belham on Sat 09 Jul 2016, 11:03, edited 2 times in total.

fredx181

#842 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Rufwoof, Belham,

Thanks for the positive replies!
rufwoof wrote:Looking great Fred. Doesn't feel right pointing out a tiny error against such a great effort ... but for completeness I did spot typo's on the DebianDog Jessie 64 page

Specifications:
Ah, that's the kind of feedback I like, typo's are corrected now.

Fred

rufwoof

#843 Post by rufwoof »

Belham wrote: you talk about loading the sfs. Do you boot DebianDog pristine every time, and then load your sfs with all your data and stuff in it, so that you always have the choice to run either "fresh/pristine" and/or "with your stuff"?? Also, when you update DebianDog, do you do it in the "fresh/prisitne" or do you do it after you load the sfs, or does it even matter?? I am slowly coming to realize, like you and others have talked about on here, that it is really nice how updates are so easy in DebianDog versus what I have to do to keep other puppy distros up to date.
Hi Belham

I boot using grub4dos. Periodically after a fresh reboot I run
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get clean

and if any changes did occur then I run save2flash to preserve those updates. At all other times I never save. So each reboot is pristine with updates applied.

I store all docs etc outside (backed up separately) on a separate HDD/partition. I have osmo calendar/diary etc sym linked out to the same area as those docs etc. So the core configuration of DD more or less remains the exact same, excepting when updates occur.

So I can trash the system trying things out, and a reboot has me back to fresh again.

I was leaving 01-filesystem.squashfs as the only sfs being loaded and all changes being preserved in the /live/changes folder, but more recently remastered a new 01-filesystem.squashfs using MENU, ACCESSORIES, REMASTER-DOG. I've since changed that to use no compression so 01-filesystem.squashfs is bigger (around 1.6GB instead of 600MB when compressed), as that runs through remastering quicker. That leaves /live/changes empty. So the same apt-get upgrade... type commands, followed by a remaster to create a new 01-filesystem.squashfs and empty the contents of /live/changes (I create a new folder and just drag all of changes folder content over to that to move it all out, and delete that folder at the next reboot ... as I think deleting the contents of /changes whilst still running could cause problems).

My 64 bit machine blew up some months ago and as a temporary measure I switched over to a old Celeron 32 bit machine. I have another 64 bit 4 core PC behind me just gathering dust as I haven't yet got around to switching over to that. Frankly DD runs so well as-is I've had no real need/urge to make a change yet. I may very well leave it until Stretch (next stable Debian) version is released as the current stable and then switch over to 64 bit then.

I don't load any other sfs's. I have a couple sitting in /live with a .X filename suffix that I added so they don't get loaded (devX etc.) and avoid other non debian sfs's as Toni said that could break the package database. So I only load programs via synaptic (or apt-get). Older versions of those programs in most cases, but a extensive library of stable versions. Mostly I just use Libre, Iceweasel and PDFeditor (which is one program I did import from outside - a great little PDF editor IMO) and Skype. DD-Jessie brings to me the best of puppy and the best of Debian. Optional persistence with a solid upgrade/update of sound/stable programs/system. Nice knowing that when I do online banking that a reboot has a factory fresh browser and system running.

rufwoof

#844 Post by rufwoof »

Last edited by rufwoof on Fri 08 Jul 2016, 22:53, edited 2 times in total.

dancytron

#845 Post by dancytron »

rufwoof wrote:
Belham wrote:There is nothing that you wrote that I disagree with. In further, I wholeheartedly believe that, as structured by the Eurocrats in Brussels, the free movement of people across the European Union is simply unfair and unsustainable when you have member states of that union taking on tens of thousands of refugees, and then holding other EU nations hostage in demanding they take their share. It needed drastic reworking, plain and simple.
Unilateral actions by Germany is common. It wants control over Europe always has, always will. Brussels headquarters will soon move back to Berlin now that the UK is leaving. As you say we're no longer a empire, just a island. Distancing ourselves and enough military deterrent to protect own own shores is adequate, leave Europe to explode whichever way it sees fit (financially, military). Emulate Switzerland, don't become military involved and just broker between both sides. If anything the UK is heading more East, given that Obama has done little for UK/US relations. Corbyn (opposition) have a swelling number who believe in greater wealth redistribution, QE for the people he's called it. 2020 UK General Elections are likely to see massive support for Labour (our red, your blue) and quite a extreme version of that. Moscow/Putin has noted in the past that their former Union State members had far less interference from the centre than does the EU. There's potential for that union to be rekindled, and with the UK as a member along with controlled migration other EU states (and applicants) might consider that to be a more viable alternative to the German (EU) choice.
Wrong thread??????????