QEMU-Puppy 2.01-1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
arausch

VFT Files

#16 Post by arausch »

The VFT files are simply image files (.img) that are renamed to .vft (virtual-fat). You can create them with rawrite or qemu-img (I think thats what it's called).

In windows you can use WinImage to modify/create .img files.

I still haven't figured out how to apply the patches to the files located in puppy_hda.vft, but I honestly haven't put alot of time into it (yet).

darkerror05

#17 Post by darkerror05 »

Thanks that helps alot. Now i probebly will just make a new image. Will I have to rename it to the .vft?
-darkerror

netjess

QEMU Puppy

#18 Post by netjess »

I was wondering....
Why is this over 200MB? Before I looked here I downloaded the latest QEMU and Full Puppy ISO and have it on a 128 thumb it is only taking up 100MB.
Now I will confess that I havn't gotten the networking ironed out w/o having to use Win-Tab (openVPN) to bridge the nic. that is only another 1MB, but you have to jack with the host system. I am just getting started though. I have not used QEMU before this.

Is it the games you put on or is it items that you are using to get it to work more universal with less config changes?

Do you have a setup with less fluff and just basic apps, Office items, Browser, mail and maybe gzine.

FYI,
This is how I am launching it:
REM Start qemu on windows.
@ECHO OFF

REM SDL_VIDEODRIVER=directx is faster than windib. But keyboard cannot work well.
SET SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib

REM SDL_AUDIODRIVER=waveout or dsound can be used. Only if QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=sdl.
SET SDL_AUDIODRIVER=dsound

REM QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=dsound or fmod or sdl or none can be used. See qemu -audio-help.
SET QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=dsound

REM QEMU_AUDIO_LOG_TO_MONITOR=1 displays log messages in QEMU monitor.
SET QEMU_AUDIO_LOG_TO_MONITOR=0

REM PCI-based PC(default): -M pc
REM ISA-based PC : -M isapc
REM -M isapc is added for NE2000 ISA card.

qemu.exe -L . -m 512 -cdrom puppy.iso -soundhw all -localtime -M pc

Erik Veenstra

#19 Post by Erik Veenstra »