Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 24 May 2015, 01:32
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Avoid "Searching for Puppy files" during bootup
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
Wognath

PostPosted: Fri 15 May 2015, 16:53    Post subject:  Avoid "Searching for Puppy files" during bootup  

[Edited 5/19 for clarity and corrections]
I found that a few seconds are saved off bootup time by eliminating "Searching for Puppy files..." This is practical for me since I'm always on the same computer and the files are always in the same place. The idea is that once Puppy has been run, all the info found in the Searching... section is recorded in PUPSTATE.
Procedure:
Back up initrd.gz Smile
Unpack initrd.gz to folder initrd-tree
Copy /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE to initrd-tree/
Edit init script by replacing the entire FINDING PUPPY FILES section:
Code:
#######################FINDING PUPPY FILES###########################
. /PUPSTATE
[[ $pfix = "ram" ]] && PUPMODE=5
[[ $psave ]] && PUPSAVE=$PUPSAVE$psave
########################END FINDING PUPPY FILES############################
Be sure edited /initrd-tree/init is executable
Repack initrd

The second line allows the pfix=ram boot option to work

The third line is only needed if you have more than one save file and you want a separate grub entry for each. (The "Type a number to choose which personal file to use" menu won't be generated.) Thanks to CatDude and Crash for this. (link) In this case you also have to remove the save file name from PUPSAVE line in the PUPSTATE file and add psave=name of save file to the grub kernel line.
e..g. PUPSAVE='sda4,ext3,/slacko/slackosave1' becomes PUPSAVE='sda4,ext3,/slacko/' and psave=slackosave1 on grub kernel line.

This was done with suitable awe for the cleverness of the init script. I really didn't expect a simple change to work, but it does. Surprised

Last edited by Wognath on Tue 19 May 2015, 15:14; edited 5 times in total
mikeb

PostPosted: Fri 15 May 2015, 17:05    Post subject:  

PUPSAVE='sda4,ext3,/slacko/slackosave1'

why is this not specifying where the save is so avoiding searching or the need for an additional pfind parameter?

You could have reduced the search to top level only(-maxdepth 1) ...after all once you commit to a named folder its specified in the kernel line so there is no need to waste time searching sub folders.

All seems a bit odd really...again seems like the searching should not be happening anyway.

mike
8Geee

PostPosted: Fri 15 May 2015, 22:01    Post subject:  

IMHO the skip searching for puppy files not worth it. /MHO
Linux user #498913
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Sat 16 May 2015, 01:04    Post subject:  

I admit that I've never paid much attention to my grub4dos configuration since speed seems to be OK even with a basic setting like
kernel /pup_slacko/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash pfix=ram
initrd /pup_slacko/initrd.gz

What I don't understand: Why do I see Puppy "Searching for Puppy files" even though pfix=ram should have made it clear that I don't use a savefile? Or is Puppy searching for anything else?
mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 16 May 2015, 04:57    Post subject:  

If the subfolder search happens to be where there are say windows installs then that to me is a little lump of wasted time and disk thrashing.
Its a hang over from root only of partition installs... since a folder is specified why search? The installers handle it all now so would only really apply to a messed up manual install attempt...oops the user forgot to include the subfolder name we had better make up for his/her oversight with a long search.

The search is for the main sfs as well as a save...pfix=ram just skips the latter.
Actually not quite true...puppy 4 plus searches and picks up anything that might possibly be puppy then sifts through the info to try and work out where it is... great fun if you have multiple installs for example. So yes all is searched..pfix=ram just ignores some of the information.
Someone got drunk after discovering the 'find' command.
Its can be the source of some interesting quirks.
It was fun when it did not skip a full install and used it for a save..that was my favourite bug Very Happy

I prefer targeted searches for the needed files and continue as soon as found...but thats just me and my insane desire for speed and less boot parameters Very Happy

mike
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: