Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT POST NEW STUFF!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile       

The time now is Sun 09 Aug 2020, 02:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
BIT METER OS 0.7.6 (stable) & 0.8.0 (experimental)
Page 6 of 15 [223 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 13, 14, 15 Next
mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 16 May 2015, 11:35    Post subject:  

Well my feeling is the beta is a beta..ie the ram usage may improve in time. Its also more sensitive to the network state.

My tests also show differences in behaviour with pups...so anyone finding problems may be suffering from that phenomenom..indeed it was not messed up permissions in my case but a problem running in Lucid...4.12 works OOTB.

Perhaps we need to give the developer this feedback...a link to this thread might help him/her.

mike
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 16 May 2015, 11:43    Post subject:  

Afternoon, Michael.

Yeah; I think that's probably nearer the mark, actually. I'm guessing there probably are differences with the great variety of kernels in use by all the Pups & Puplets out there...and of course this will create problems in one respect or another.

I'll look into seeing if I can link this thread to Rob Dawson's site, and see if I can let him have some feedback. At least I'll find out that way if this is still under current development or not.

Cheers for the suggestion.

Mike 2 Mike. Very Happy

mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 16 May 2015, 12:10    Post subject:  

Well gave a test on a Lucid based distro but not puppy... same behaviour for 0.7.8 (no web) but working for 0.8.0...8 threads 1.7MB by the way. Using a wifi dongle in this case. Seems for 0.7.8 local connection is being blocked for some reason...cannot work out the logic there.

One note for testers...a database written by 0.7.8 will prevent 0.8.0 starting..you will get an error message in the log. Might cause a few red herrings. The reverse may also apply.

mike
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 16 May 2015, 12:12    Post subject:  

@MikeB:-

I've acted upon your suggestion, and have sent a message to Rob Dawson via the 'Feedback' tab on his site. I've also left him a link to this thread, so.....if he's interested enough, he'll take a look, I guess.

Mike 2 Mike. Smile

mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 16 May 2015, 12:16    Post subject:  

Now if only he was called Mike Dawson Wink

mike
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 16 May 2015, 12:18    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
One note for testers...a database written by 0.7.8 will prevent 0.8.0 starting..you will get an error message in the log. Might cause a few red herrings. The reverse may also apply.

mike

Quite so; have to agree with you, there. I found that out myself when upgrading from one to t'other a few days ago. That's why I've added the suggestion into the OP that people will find it helpful to go into /var/lib and delete the bitmeter directory after uninstalling 0.7.6 and before installing 0.8.0.

Should prevent a lot of 'head-scratching'.....

Mike 2 Mike. Smile

mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 16 May 2015, 12:31    Post subject:  

Useful tool though...just determined with it that ebay uses an average of 2MB a page...no wonder i chalked up 400MB searching for a boat nav light!!!!

Now thats bloated web design...and its NOT the images either!!

mike
robd

PostPosted: Sun 17 May 2015, 11:55    Post subject:  

Hi

I'm the developer of BitMeter OS, thanks to Mike for alerting me to this thread.

It's very rewarding to see all the effort that you have put into getting the app working on Puppy! I haven't done any real development on BitMeter for a number of years, but if anyone has specific questions about any issues you have found please reply here and I'll try to help.

Once you have a PET or SFS package that you are happy with I will add it to the download links on my site, so hopefully others will benefit from your work

best wishes

Rob D
mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 17 May 2015, 12:42    Post subject:  

Hi rob.... this is another mike.

thanks for dropping in...hope you can make some sense of all our ramblings.

Seems like you have gained some popularity around here...or notoriety Wink

regards

mike
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 17 May 2015, 16:37    Post subject:  

Well, well, well.....howsabout that then, guys & gals? We have had a visitation.....and a most welcome one, too.

@robd:-

Thank you very much for replying to my e-mail; it's much appreciated. I did say that I'd find out one way or another if this was still under development or not; at least now I know!

I still stand by what I said, in my original post; BitMeterOS is, to my way of thinking, one of the most useful small apps I've ever found...and if one individual found it useful, then it was likely a fair bet that others would, too. When I was using XP a while back, I used to regularly troll the download sites to see if I could glean any gems from the vast oceans of Windows dross that used to overflow the sites. You'd occasionally find something useful; that was how I came across a company called ShaPlus Software. They mostly produce business software for the Muslim community.....but they also produced an absolute little gem of a bandwidth meter:-

http://www.shaplus.com/bandwidth-meter/

Small, neat, and very simple...and told me just what I needed to know. In more or less the same way that yours does. To quote the UK 'Ronseal' television advert; '...it does exactly what it says on the tin...'

To reiterate; BitMeterOS is ace, IMHO. And one thing you soon learn, here on the Forums; we have some extremely talented, and very knowledgeable individuals, here in 'Puppyland'... They're the ones who've put the hard graft in; all I did was give the app an airing, and brought it to the community's attention. They deserve the credit...definitely not me!

Regards,

Mike. Smile

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 17 May 2015, 17:45    Post subject:  

@robd:-

In fact, I DO have one question, now that I think about it. I moved to Linux about a year ago, as I said in my message to you. Nearly from the start, I looked for something similar to, and then discovered, BitMeterOS; I think the stable version then was 0,7.5, and 0.7.6 was the experimental version. When 0.8.0 was released, I moved to 0.7.6.

With 0.8.0, the web interface now shows the difference between total usage (up & down), and internet usage. It didn't take me long to find out that file-sharing via LAN was a lot more prevalent in the Linux world than it was in the Windows one. I've since come to realise that in fact, networking and 'file-sharing' is becoming quite standard these days, with the advent of media-streaming, and home-based media server setups.

Was this in your mind when you developed the 0.8.0 version?

Regards,

Mike.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 17 May 2015, 21:11; edited 1 time in total
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Sun 17 May 2015, 18:14    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Obviously, it won't make much difference if you have several GB of RAM to play with (as is the case on my desktop), but if you're in the 'upto a gig' bracket (as is the case with a lot of older hardware, including MY old Dell), then it might be wiser to recommend to people that they use the stable 'version'...

What do you think?

0.8.0, 32 bit and 64 bit versions appear to be working fine for me so far , as for the memory usage I don't think it will be that much of an issue.

I think the 0.8.0 version would be the best to use if your concern is internet bandwidth and you have a local network to consider too, else 0.7.8. should be adequate.

Maybe a tray icon to start and stop it would be of benefit, or a way to only start when connected to your metered connection, don't need to have it running if using other network access

mikeb wrote:
Don't forget lucid and 412...indeed it would be odder if it did not work in everything

Whats needed for lucid and 412, does the 32 bit package work ok as is ?

Last edited by Geoffrey on Sun 17 May 2015, 18:46; edited 1 time in total
mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 17 May 2015, 18:25    Post subject:  

well aside from the problem with lucid and 0.7.8 web display some pups do not have the debian daemon binaries for starting and stopping.... I just used bitmeter & for example in the scripts.

pcap...some don't have it at all ..some need a link...some have the link...a mixed bag. My thoughts were to include a copy of 0.8 as its small... make it independent of whatever system its on then.

memory usage...not so much a case of can it be handled but anything way over the 1-2mb suggested a problem that may need looking at.

mike
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 17 May 2015, 18:48    Post subject:  

@Geoffrey:-

A tray icon sounds a good idea, Geoff. It could work in much the same way as rcrsn51's experimental Bluetooth packages. Aside from all the supporting stuff, Bill's configured the set-up with a tray icon for actually enabling the Bluetooth connection. It's a simple toggle affair; click once for on, and again for off.

Could be a good addition. I like the sound of that. As I've said, however, I have to leave the mechanics of that to people like your good self: me no know what the hell I'm doing, as far as that goes..! I really think this is your 'baby' now, Geoffrey...

Comments?

Regards,

Mike. Smile

davids45

PostPosted: Sun 17 May 2015, 20:13    Post subject: Bitmeter for a multiPup computer?
Subject description: A 'running-total' of data from a symlinked file for every Pup?

G'day,

How does Bitmeter or any other similar monitor store its data. Or where?

With for example, Osmo and Seamonkey, I can set every Pup on this computer to use the same profile data, sym-linked from a common file on a boot-mounted data partition.

So I can boot any Pup any time and have access to the same data, and add to that during any session.

The Pup-default meter on the taskbar (pops up with a hover over the internet connection icon) keeps a sort-of record for that Pup during the month (where I wonder?) but it is the aggregate for the computer itself that would be more handy to know.

Does a router store this sort of information so that it could be accessed from a Pup browser? With several old desktops set up with Puppies for the visiting grandkids, and an MS-commited wife, this would be interesting data to get/monitor as the common point of our home network is the router. Particularly now smart-phones as well as visiting laptops also go through the router via wifi.

Our ISP has its opinion about our total usage, of course Shocked .

David S.
Page 6 of 15 [223 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 13, 14, 15 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
Jump to: