BIT METER OS 0.7.6 (stable) & 0.8.0 (experimental)

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
Mike Walsh

#196 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, april.
april wrote:Thanks for that - Semme sent me , blame him.
Hah! Ah, Semme's a good lad, really; his heart's in the right place. I'm not surprised he sent you here; there were only ever a handful of us at all closely involved in BitMeter's 'Puppification' process.....with some rather mixed results. To this day, I've no idea how many people have ever bothered to download it, and try it out... I'd used it in Ubuntu for about a year before I came over to Puppy full-time; it was stable, and was extremely useful. At the time, we had a monthly data 'cap' of just 10 GB, so I really needed to watch what I was doing. That subsequently increased to 20 GB / month, and we've since switched ISPs and have an unlimited plan. I don't really need to use it at all now, but I've reverted to the 'one Pup, one BM-OS' set-up I was using originally. The reasons I really started this thread were two-fold; I thought it was a very neat, small, self-contained app, that would be useful to a number of people, and was amenable to 'Puppification'; the other being that I badly wanted a way to have multiple Pups write to a single common database, so as to obtain a monthly running total across all Pups in the kennel.

We got that working, though I, personally, have never managed to keep 0.8.0 running for longer than a fortnight, tops. The sQLite database that Rob Dawson, its creator, used when he wrote it, seems ( in the 0.8.0 version) to very easily and spontaneously corrupt. Or it could be that it doesn't like being moved, and then sym-linked.....perhaps they really are that sensitive. The older 0.7.6, on the other hand, is absolutely rock-solid, and will just run indefinitely.

So; the famous 'NaN PB' problem has reared its ugly head again, has it? Hm. I never really got into the 'nuts'n'bolts' of what made it tick. Davids45, who's also in this thread, a few posts back, did. He really dug around in the thing's guts, 'cos he was at the time trying to get it working across a small home LAN of about 5 or 6 machines.....and he managed it, too! He also has rather more experience than me with regard to what the various errors are, and how to get it running again. I'm going to shoot him a line, and see if he can be persuaded to come in on this, and give you the benefit of his experience.

The only thing that I know for definite is that the 'NaN PB' error almost always indicates that data is not being written to the database. You can try this:-

In the terminal,

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/ bitmeter restart
/etc/init.d/bitmeterweb restart
If all goes well, you'll get a message something along these lines:-

# /etc/init.d/bitmeter restart
Stopping BitMeter Capture daemon: bmcapture.
Starting BitMeter Capture daemon: bmcapture.
# /etc/init.d/bitmeterweb restart
Stopping BitMeter Web Interface daemon.
Starting BitMeter Web Interface daemon: bmws.
Close your browser, re-open it, then open BitMeter's web interface again; touch wood, this time, it should be working. If not, come back to me with the results, and we'll get this to behave itself one way or another..! :lol: It's just a wee bit temperamental, although I cannot fault Rob Dawson's concept.....that of combining some of the existing Linux command-line tools with an extremely neat GUI, and some rather inspired lateral thinking.

To be fair, I doubt he ever envisaged it being 'hacked-about' in quite the way we did..! :lol: If you scan back through the thread, you'll find a few posts by Rob himself; I kept him informed as to what we were doing with BitMeterOS, through his own 'CodeBox' website, having originally sought his advice with one or two issues.

http://codebox.org.uk/pages

Mike. :wink:

april

#197 Post by april »

Did that twice but it gave the responses indicated but the pages remained the same.
I may not be here shortly so thanks for the help anyway.

perdido

#198 Post by perdido »

April,
FWIW, the bitmetros_0.7.6-i386.deb that I downloaded from http://codebox.org.uk/downloads/bitmeteros/linux has worked fine in precise5.7.1, might be worth a shot.

The address for the bitmetros info page on my system is http://localhost:2605/index.html

davids45

Bitmeter NaN issue

#199 Post by davids45 »

G'day april,

The data base file storing the activity of the browsers is in /var/lib/bitmeter/
and is called bitmeter.db.

Do you see it?

If not, stop bitmeter (enter in a terminal "./bitmeter stop" whilst in /etc/init.d/), then make a copy of bitmeter.db.new (which should be there too) and call it bitmeter.db - so you have a new .db file.
Then restart bitmeter via the terminal 'restart' script, and see if it now logs browser transfers.

You could now watch the bitmeter.db file in a Rox window which should indicate regular 'Scanning' and, if you are browsing, the .db file should slowly grow in size.

Another option could be delete the original bitmeter.db file if it was there and try a new one via the copying step.

I've 0.76 and 0.8 running OK in different Pups and with different browsers (seamonkey & chromium).

But, like Mike, I now have a good ISP package so that bitmeter is not essential in avoiding any download excess (despite visits of device-laden children and grandchildren). I just keep Bitmeter there for occasional interest.

If you have only one Pup (Precise-5.7.1?), hovering your mouse over the globe/monitor icon on the Task bar may pop up a meaningful download report of monthly ups-n-downs.

David S.

april

Re: Bitmeter NaN issue

#200 Post by april »

davids45 wrote:G'day april,

The data base file storing the activity of the browsers is in /var/lib/bitmeter/
and is called bitmeter.db.

Do you see it?

If not, stop bitmeter (enter in a terminal "./bitmeter stop" whilst in /etc/init.d/), then make a copy of bitmeter.db.new (which should be there too) and call it bitmeter.db - so you have a new .db file.
Then restart bitmeter via the terminal 'restart' script, and see if it now logs browser transfers.

You could now watch the bitmeter.db file in a Rox window which should indicate regular 'Scanning' and, if you are browsing, the .db file should slowly grow in size.

Another option could be delete the original bitmeter.db file if it was there and try a new one via the copying step.
David S.
It was there but was not changing and was from yesterday when I installed it so I deleted it and went looking for

bitmeter.db.new (which should be there too) and call it bitmeter.db 
I could not find that
Thanks . Going to try above link

Mike Walsh

#201 Post by Mike Walsh »

@davids45:-

Morning, David. Just FYI (though I think you know this anyway), don't forget that the 'bitmeter.db.new' file is only present in 0.8.0. If you're using 0.7.6, it's not present by default. Rob did explain to me the reason for that; mainly that it was simply a further development for the newer version, and since 0.7.6 was running so stable he was loath to mess about with it.

Also, of course (as you found out yourself!), the 0.7.6 & 0.8.0 databases are not interchangeable.

I still think that for single Pup usage 0.7.6 is probably the better option.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 24 Apr 2016, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.

april

#202 Post by april »

Perdido .
I got that one previously and it did not work . I got a menu item in network but nothing came upp when I clicked it and when I went to the given browser address I got an un-laid out page with no activity and big blanks .

I got that again with your deb package.

When I rebooted however up it came working and all and I can now experiment a bit with it if you will excuse the pun .

Thank you all for the help.
Last edited by april on Sun 24 Apr 2016, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#203 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, april.

Glad to hear you've got it operational for now! I did state, some time back in the thread, and, I believe, in the OP, that some people may well find that the .deb package will work for them, whereas the .pet package will not.

Certainly the .deb has always worked for me in the 'buntu-based Pups. Unsurprisingly. I always found, like I said, that 0.7.6 simply works.....and keeps on working. 0.8.0 was always a bit more finicky, for some reason; I seem to recall Rob told me he'd switched to a new type of sQLite database, and it hadn't proved as reliable as he'd hoped. But since we'd started experimenting with BitMeter some 4-5 years after he'd originally written it, he had no intentions of re-visiting, or re-writing, as he'd moved onto other projects.

But any further help required, just ask. There's a small number of us who still use it regularly, and we can probably sort most snags out!

april

#204 Post by april »

Cheers Mike
A very handy piece of software for me. Thanks Semme too

Mike Walsh

#205 Post by Mike Walsh »

perdido wrote:April,
FWIW, the bitmetros_0.7.6-i386.deb that I downloaded from http://codebox.org.uk/downloads/bitmeteros/linux has worked fine in precise5.7.1, might be worth a shot.

The address for the bitmetros info page on my system is http://localhost:2605/index.html

Hi, perdido.

Funny you should mention that! That's the exact same one that I currently use across all my Pups; quite simply, it just works.

It's the one I started in Ubuntu with; and, despite all the experimenting with various other things throughout the course of this thread, it's the one I've returned to...

Strange how things often go full circle. :)

perdido

#206 Post by perdido »

Hello Mike,

I remember this thread from when it was a hot topic, I appreciate the testing you and others put into making this program usable.

I ended up just installing the deb because the pet wasn't available yet in the thread (if I remember correctly) and was happy with how it runs - never had a reason to try the modified pets. Its more of a toy for me that runs good and was small so it was a keeper.

Mike Walsh

#207 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, perdido.

'...runs good and was small so it was a keeper...'

Good description. For years I used an even tinier bandwidth app in XP, called ShaPlus Bandwidth Meter. Teeny little thing; uses around 450k. I've found out that it will run under Puppy.....IF you install around 300 MB of WINE first!

I do have it running in a couple of my Pups, since I run WINE in all of them anyway; my hobby is graphic design, and I can't be a****d to keep firing up XP everytime just to use Photoshop.....so I got it running under WINE. PS is a large enough & complex enough program to justify running WINE; CS2 runs absolutely perfect, as it is. Since I had WINE running anyway, I experimented with ShaPlus, and found it just needs one thing installing to work (vbrun6); and it works just as well as it does in XP.

There's a link here, if you're interested in it; I'd recommend it to anybody who needs one for XP or whatever.

http://www.shaplus.com/bandwidth-meter/

If you'd care to try it, and happen to be using WINE for anything, you can d/l VBRun6 from my MediaFire account here.

There's also a link to a CNet review of it, showing what it looks like, and detailing how it works. I find it's best to run it in a Pup that's using anything other than the JWM window manager; It works fine in X-Slacko (which uses XFCE), and also ETP's 'Chromebook' Pup, which uses OpenBox. For whatever reason, it just won't show up in JWM's 'tray'.....and it runs entirely from the tray icon.

perdido

#208 Post by perdido »

Mike Walsh wrote:
For years I used an even tinier bandwidth app in XP, called ShaPlus Bandwidth Meter. Teeny little thing; uses around 450k. I've found out that it will run under Puppy.....IF you install around 300 MB of WINE first!
Wine is smaller than running the Oracle VM Virtualbox with XP, so you are money ahead there. I've installed a low-end XP under Oracle called Windows for Legacy PC's, use it for stubborn stuff that turns its nose up at wine. I also use wine for some programs as it loads much faster than Oracle/WinLeg

I used to use DUMeter to monitor network speed/usage with the dedicated Win2k/XP boxes, wish there was similar in Linux but oh well... cobbled up some of the PWidgets to show up/down speed in Puppy that does ok, also tried gkrellum but that was not as adjustable as PWidgets - this all due to flakey internet. Will take a pass on the shaplus for now but thanks.

april

#209 Post by april »

DU Meterhttp://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/download
Create a linux version
· 11 votes · 1 comment · open in new window →
You have 7 votes left! (?)

Could be nice to have a linux version, you already made a Android app, shouldn't be hard to adapt for linux.
I would like combine data from my NAS and from my Laptop of the same network.
planned · Haim Gelfenbeyn avatarHaim Gelfenbeyn (Admin, Hagel Technologies Ltd.) responded

We've have dumeter.net reporter planned... It won't be a full-fledged DU Meter application, but it will report traffic statistics to dumeter.net.

perdido

#210 Post by perdido »

april wrote:DU Meterhttp://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/download
planned · Haim Gelfenbeyn avatarHaim Gelfenbeyn (Admin, Hagel Technologies Ltd.) responded

We've have dumeter.net reporter planned... It won't be a full-fledged DU Meter application, but it will report traffic statistics to dumeter.net.
Thats interesting, dug a bit into it - seems you have to register an account with them and that gives you the opportunity to go to their website to check your net usage, etc. Its up and running according to this page http://www.hageltech.com/blog/2015/06/1 ... linux.html, I wonder what else they are mining besides net usage stats?

april

#211 Post by april »

Yes you are right
and full DU Meter port to Linux is not planned at this time.
That says it all doesn't it. Their loss, Bit Meter OS is brilliant and even better for what I want anyway !

april

#212 Post by april »

I notice bitmeter has a definite 1 second tic as it does whatever it does writing or reading the hard disc it seems . Very annoying when you are conscious of your gigabyte usage.

Atle

#213 Post by Atle »

Are you sure that "tic" is not just consuming free and offline data and not from ones precious bundle and actual paid use?

april

#214 Post by april »

Don't understand what you mean . I think the one second tic is just the process reading and recording data usage each second isn't it . Not using up or down data ? But thats what I am getting at . When you are watching up and down data usage then a tic like that keeps it at the forefront of your mind . That equates to unnecessary worry.

I also notice however that it is not always there ? If I answer this post it starts when I submit the answer , not when I am typing usually so its just on while it sees activity on the connection I think.

Atle

#215 Post by Atle »

A bit off topic, but yet related...

Are there other pets or things that are useful for mobile internet users in puppyland?

Obviously this gives control of your datausage and are very handy when bought in bundles.

A webbrowser that is customized to use as little data as possible is about to arise in combination with BitMeter OS.

Now are there other handy and useful things out there for that group of users?