Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 18 Feb 2018, 05:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
What's the best rich-text email client?
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
johnywhy

PostPosted: Tue 05 May 2015, 22:59    Post subject:  What's the best rich-text email client?  

hi guys

i edited this post to be more in line with the following discussion. Would be very happy to find a solution Smile

eM Client is my favorite. fast, modern, lightweight, beautiful, and free. Lots of modern web integrations. Nice automations, rich features. Lots of touches that make it a pleasant, powerful user-experience. It's not perfect, but still my fave. Only problem is, i cannot get it to run on Puppy wine. Tried for 2 weeks, many versions of wine, messed with .net, mono, gecko, PlayOnLinux, Portable Wine, etc etc. Got it to install ok, but just won't run.

Tbird? It's slow and old and fat, IMHO. Overwhelms with options i don't really need. I don't really like that junk-mail filter is turned on by default, which (in my experience) makes false detections. Tbird is ~30 MB, compared to ~15 MB for eM. To me, eM is to tbird what chromium is to netscape navigator. TBird feels very old school to me.

sylpheed? Need html-compose. sylpheed is plain-text only. Love how fast it is, tho! If only it had html!

Claws? Tried it-- no HTML compose. Seems the html plugin is only for html viewing, not composing.

Opera? Don't really like that it's embedded inside the opera browser-- seems you can't get opera email without the browser. That's gotta make it fatter than necessary. Confusing interface, made more confusing because it's combined with the web-browser. Generally not very good performance. Awkward, weird user-experience, to me. Menus all mixed together with the browser menus-- did not like. Totally unresponsive tech-support from Opera.

johny

Watching: Quirky-April Zagreb RapidPup
i ♥ Puppy

Last edited by johnywhy on Wed 06 May 2015, 16:53; edited 18 times in total
p310don

PostPosted: Wed 06 May 2015, 01:09    Post subject:  

https://www.winehq.org/search?q=enclient

Seems almost like a waste of time, bronze was the best rating I saw, which is a bit ordinary.
johnywhy

PostPosted: Wed 06 May 2015, 01:16    Post subject:  

hi p310don

p310don wrote:
https://www.winehq.org/search?q=enclient

i think the link should be:
https://www.winehq.org/search?q=emclient

p310don wrote:
Seems almost like a waste of time, bronze was the best rating I saw, which is a bit ordinary.

not sure what you mean. i think the bronze rating is not a rating of the quality of the software, it's a rating of how well it runs on wine, right?

that rating is based on an older version of eM, and an older version of wine. this tester says "What works: Almost everything."
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=27844

eM is the best mail client i've used.

Maybe a wine that works might be useful for others?

i ♥ Puppy
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 06 May 2015, 05:25    Post subject:  

Note softmaker dumped this client in favour of thunderbird.

What might be better is to use an older thunderbird ..say 2.0...I have for years...does the job well and we get a lot of mail with a lot of accounts.

Running on wine is always second best to native.... and in this case seems like a dead end. I hope em is NOT using the mshtml renderer.

mike
p310don

PostPosted: Wed 06 May 2015, 08:47    Post subject:  

Quote:
i think the bronze rating is not a rating of the quality of the software, it's a rating of how well it runs on wine, right?

Yes that is correct.

I haven't tried emclient so cannot comment on how good or bad it is. I have tried a lot of things in wine, and have found that if it isn't gold or platinum rated, it is a real pain the butt to use. As bronze across the board, that seems like a fair bit of hassle, for what will be only a semi-good experience via wine.

Quote:
eM is to tbird what chrome is to netscape navigator

my opinion, the more I use Chrome these days, the more it seems slow and bloated.....

Have you looked at other native email clients besides Thunderbird? For eg, evolution, claws mail etc
johnywhy

PostPosted: Wed 06 May 2015, 16:40    Post subject:  

hi, plz see my changed OP, to match the content of this thread.

p310don wrote:
As bronze across the board, that seems like a fair bit of hassle, for what will be only a semi-good experience via wine.

could be, but the tester said "almost everything works". Again that test was done on an old version of em, and an old version of wine (new versions of each released over a year ago). So i think it's not a good assessment of the current releases. So for me, since it's my fave email client so far, it's def worth trying and finding out for myself.

p310don wrote:
the more I use Chrome these days, the more it seems slow and bloated.....

maybe you need to clear your cache?

I recently noticed that chrome loaded pages much faster than Firefox, on Lina or Slacko (can't remember which). It's true that chrome is pretty fat, but i've never noticed it to be slow or laggy (unless there's some problem with my OS or network connection).

p310don wrote:
Have you looked at other native email clients besides Thunderbird? For eg, evolution, claws mail etc

Yes, tried sylpheed, claws, opera mail.

As mentioned in my OP, sylpheed does not support rich-text compose. Claws might, not sure, can't get it to work.

About to try pegasus, but it's windows, so i fear more wine headaches.
http://www.pmail.com/

Also checking out geary-- looks like i'll have to figure out how to compile it on Slacko (it's a gnome app).
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Geary

ditto for evolution, unless there's a Slacko or Lina pet out there.... Smile
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution

cheers!

i ♥ Puppy
johnywhy

PostPosted: Wed 06 May 2015, 16:57    Post subject:  

(p310don, plz see response above)

mikeb wrote:
Note softmaker dumped this client in favour of thunderbird.
i've used both (for years), and I prefer eM. I reserve the right to my own preferences Smile

mikeb wrote:
What might be better is to use an older thunderbird ..say 2.0
i have used that solution in the past, might again. Thx for suggesting!

mikeb wrote:
Running on wine is always second best to native.... and in this case seems like a dead end.
i'd really like to understand why.

mikeb wrote:
I hope em is NOT using the mshtml renderer.
i believe they are! If you mean using IE-- they are. What the problem with that?

They announced that they are moving away from IE for their next major release, due to various problems. So maybe that will run on wine for me Smile

cheers

i ♥ Puppy
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 07 May 2015, 03:37    Post subject:  

Quote:
i've used both (for years), and I prefer eM. I reserve the right to my own preferences

indeed....just they would have taken that decision for a reason...

Quote:
mikeb wrote:
Running on wine is always second best to native.... and in this case seems like a dead end.
i'd really like to understand why.

mikeb wrote:
I hope em is NOT using the mshtml renderer.
i believe they are! If you mean using IE-- they are. What the problem with that?

They announced that they are moving away from IE for their next major release, due to various problems. So maybe that will run on wine for me Smile

Ok you have the crux of it...if it is using mshtml thats most likely the reason there are wine problems.
If you installed IE onto wine (good luck) then it may help..BUT you would be installing the worlds most insecure software...THE reason there is virus hell out there.
the mshtml renderer is the core of that mess...the reason outlook express is no1 virus spreader. Also note wine is not an emulator so could potentially do similar tricks to an insecure windows setup.

ANY software that uses that renderer is potentially a virus victim.... probably why they want to move away from it (outlook has but not express...even microsoft know its BAD)

I am not a paranoid scaremonger but have had 10 virus free years on windows by avoiding mshtml based programs... and I have NEVER used antivirus either.

I used Foxmail for a while until I discovered it was doing the same as eM..yes it was nice to use and had fun features but simply not worth the risk..... a lot of software did that trick rather than write their own HTML render ... a bit lame really in my book....just wrapping someone elses system..and a bad choice at that.
By the way the speed advantage is because all that crud gets loaded at boot.

Hope you get sorted...the olde Tbird is just a suggestion thats I happen to get on with on windows and Linux. Seamonkey is effectively the same client. Opera mail but shame they went over to google world.

ok post is way too large now

mike
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 07 May 2015, 03:44    Post subject:  

Just to add its not so much mshtml but the pile of dodgy .dlls it drags in to complete the ensemble thats probably causing the wine problems.

mike
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 07 May 2015, 04:08    Post subject:  

Me again

Just noted its wanting .net too...thats a nightmare on wine...well its a nightmare on windows...'hey look a small program with a 400MB backend' again lame programming with a ridiculous backend ...might not be a security nightmare but its definitely a mess.

.net was conceived originally as MS own version of Java after they fell out by sticking to a woefully insecure version but then blossomed into a way of making a virtual windows so making it almost impossible to port software to any other platform...set of sad bar stewards really.
So if this is a pain in the neck for you you know who to thank. Smile

mike
johnywhy

PostPosted: Thu 07 May 2015, 13:12    Post subject:  

mikeb, thx for info.

i think eM is moving away from mshtml due to rendering problems, not security issues.

i understand that IE is security risk (esp older versions), but that's due to browsing to malicious sites, right? mshtml just draws stuff on the screen, no?

Quote:
its not so much mshtml but the pile of dodgy .dlls it drags in to complete the ensemble thats probably causing the wine problems.

ah. ok, then!

i ♥ Puppy
johnywhy

PostPosted: Thu 07 May 2015, 17:19    Post subject:  

p310don wrote:

after reading this thread, i'm not feeling optimistic about compiling evolution on puppy:
http://www.mombu.com/gnu_linux/slackware/t-installing-evolution-on-slackware-91-or-moving-to-another-mail-client-16384305.html

after reading this thread, not optimistic about compiling geary for puppy:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=99043

edit: just found this, will try it:
http://pkgs.org/slackware-13.37/gnome-slackbuild-3.0-gsb-x86_64/evolution-3.0.1-x86_64-1gsb.txz.html

i ♥ Puppy
mikeb

PostPosted: Fri 08 May 2015, 04:52    Post subject:  

glitch
Last edited by mikeb on Fri 08 May 2015, 04:53; edited 1 time in total
mikeb

PostPosted: Fri 08 May 2015, 04:53    Post subject:  

Quote:
mshtml just draws stuff on the screen, no?

If thats all it did then no problem.
Unfortunately its uses a series of active x controls... so it can/could do joke funnies like run scripts embedded in images and such. Also the IE security model is fundamentally flawed and tied into the main system.... the zone stuff actually cause problems rather than protect.
And the certified methods of software install...well you can guess the rest.
Browser helper objects...another great mess...
And its tied into the likes of messenger and windows media player which are more active x bunnies with similar gateways available.
In vista and newer its better but still basically flawed design.

Just giving you some clues...the malicious sites can use all these gateways to get into your machine.... other browsers simply don't have the mechanisms.
An image is just an image and a music file is just music in the rest of the software world.

Well good luck with your client search

Mike
johnywhy

PostPosted: Fri 08 May 2015, 16:32    Post subject:  

thx again, mikeb.

currently struggling to get claws working in vlina or slacko, and it will not work!

thx!

i ♥ Puppy
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: