A particular Remaster of Puppy

Using applications, configuring, problems
gonzaloaf

A particular Remaster of Puppy

#1 Post by gonzaloaf »

Hi, I have puppy 1.09CE, I'm trying to create my puppy with this specifications:

1. I will use this puppy in many PCs with the same hardware specifications, so I dont want puppy to ask me the configuration questions (sound, video, mouse, etc) at every reboot, I will like to set up a default hardware configuration (no sound, xvesa 1024x768, usb mouse, keyboard ES, eth DHCP, etc). Is it possible?

2. Is possible to use USB memorys instead Live CD, so every PC will have its USB Live key.

3. The main application to be used for the end users will be firefox, so maybe I dont need other applications that come as default with puppy, I have tried pupbegone to do that and after that creating a remaster of that puppy, it wored .... but there are many pkgs to remove.

4. I dont want end users to be able to modify something important of the system that will cause a crash... I would like them to be limited at erasing or modifying some system files.

So I tried to use Puppy unleashed, but is a very long way to the success, I tried many times, the only time that it worked where when I added the whole pkgs avaiable in the server.

I have tried Remastering puppy, but I cant avoid puppy asking me the congifuration questions at startup and the users are not limited.

What can you suggest me to do?

Thanks in advance. :wink: :?:

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

1. Yep. The trick is that Puppy sets flags for what hasn't been configured, so what you need to do is figure out how to configure it all and set the flags correctly.

2. You mean have Puppy completely in the USB device and boot from that? Yep.

4. I think there was something you could set or install that made things undeletable. I know nothing about it though.

Good luck. You get a really cool feeling when you make your own Puppy and it starts up. :)

EDIT: Bam! Undeletable files: http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... ndeletable
EDIT2: Well, it worked in Vector Linux, but it said "chattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device while reading flags on gtkdiffrc" when I used it on Puppy 2.02. Maybe it works in 109 though.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]