Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 22 Sep 2019, 18:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Why does my AMD system run a lot cooler without AMD drivers?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
keyboard

PostPosted: Fri 01 May 2015, 16:10    Post subject:  Why does my AMD system run a lot cooler without AMD drivers?
Subject description: It is like that since I have changed the thermal paste [solved]

So, I have recently changed the thermal paste and cleaned the fans of my laptop as it was running really hot , previously I had used amd drivers for this laptop as it has amd processors and raedon . It should run better with amd drivers but after I had changed the thermal paste and cleaned all the fan and vents it runs better without amd drivers, plus a lot cooler as compared to when I am using amd drivers. Shouldn't this be the other way around ?? between my laptop is still very hot but better than before and the temp doesn't spike up to 100c as when I used amd drivers.

I am using tharpup 6.0.2

Last edited by keyboard on Thu 21 May 2015, 15:29; edited 2 times in total
bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 01 May 2015, 19:52    Post subject:  

With laptops anything is possible.

I have seen several posts about the laptop manufacturers tweaking the hardware and the only AMD drivers that work well, are ones that you get from the laptop manufactures web site. They say do not use drivers directly provided by AMD.

Using generic Linux drivers are not going to provide all the hardware possible features like true AMD drivers should.

There is always the chance the AMD drivers you tried to use have a bug.

bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 01 May 2015, 19:56    Post subject:  

The cpu frequency scaling tool settings have an affect on temps.

Could try some tweaking with it.

ocpaul20

PostPosted: Fri 01 May 2015, 22:11    Post subject:  

How did you remove the fan from the thermal-pasted processor chip?

I tried with mine the other day and I could not separate the two and I was afraid I would break the processor chip I was pulling so hard. It has been a few years since I applied the paste/fan so I guess it is stuck solid with the heat.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 01 May 2015, 23:24    Post subject:  

There's something to be said for epoxy-based thermal interfaces. They don't dry out an lose effectiveness like greases can.
keyboard

PostPosted: Sat 02 May 2015, 00:44    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
With laptops anything is possible.

I have seen several posts about the laptop manufacturers tweaking the hardware and the only AMD drivers that work well, are ones that you get from the laptop manufactures web site. They say do not use drivers directly provided by AMD.

Using generic Linux drivers are not going to provide all the hardware possible features like true AMD drivers should.

There is always the chance the AMD drivers you tried to use have a bug.

The AMD drivers that I have tried was from quick pet, and if i remember correctly , i did install the exact same way as you had told me to the first time, I always install like that.

My laptop isn't currently in the state of providing me the special features of amd processors I suppose. Whenever to "use them" more while having amd drivers it always gets overheated (spikes to 100c but also cools down fast too if stop) Without amd drivers , the temperature spikes are very slow and hence more manageable although it cools down very slow as well. But in overall performance it works better with generic drivers.

bigpup wrote:
The cpu frequency scaling tool settings have an affect on temps.

Could try some tweaking with it.

Yes I ways scale them down , it always runs at 800mhz (which is quite low belive me)

ocpaul20 wrote:
How did you remove the fan from the thermal-pasted processor chip?

I tried with mine the other day and I could not separate the two and I was afraid I would break the processor chip I was pulling so hard. It has been a few years since I applied the paste/fan so I guess it is stuck solid with the heat.

I disassembled the laptop and removed the screws of heat sink that is what holds it to over the processor. I disassembling any new laptop of which you aren't too much familiar with , my suggestion would be to go systematically and open up the screws , the pins and other hardware, from top to bottom till you reach your desired hardware on which you have to work on.

The thermal paste was solid crisp till the time I had opened the heat sink , removed and cleaned it isopropyle alcohol (use which has more concentration), and cleaned other parts. Applied new thermal paste then re-assembled it. I don't think thermal paste could get stuck with heat, they at max turn to crisp , and dust in extreme cases. Like the thermal paste on my gpu had nothing left only black residue over the heat sink Shocked

Yes flash , they don't but I have old hardware.. so...
666philb

PostPosted: Sat 02 May 2015, 01:35    Post subject:  

the open source radeon drivers were much improved in the 3.14 kernel and in my opinion surpass the proprietary one.

the proprietary driver might be needed for some 3d games but for general use I find it rubbish and a cpu hog.

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: