CUPS printing - installation script - update 13SEP06

News, happenings
pakt

#181 Post by pakt »

peppyy wrote: Pakt, this 3G network sounds interesting. I wish they had something like that for my dad to get connected to. He suffers the intermitent dialup blues where he lives and is lucky to connect at all. I had to get him an external modem to get online since the line quality is so bad. At times his fax dosn't work correctly even. I am working on getting him a longer range wireless card so he can find some connections with his puptop in town.

Good luck with the network.
Thanks, peppyy. I now have the new 3G datacard and am using it. I have it plugged into my laptop without an external antenna which isn't ideal for reception. In spite of that, I'm currently getting 348kb/s in the download direction. That's quite a bit better than the ~40kbp/s I was getting with dialup. Potentially, I can get 384 kb/s which is max for normal 3G. The reason I went this route is that I'm in rural Sweden with no possibility of getting ADSL. Luckily, a 3G mast popped up some months back about 1.5km (~3miles) from here giving me this break :P

I also bought a Linksys WRT54G3G wireless router. This has a PCMCIA slot for the 3G datacard and will allow me to share the 3G connection with my home network. (It also runs Linux ;)). The only problem is that the router is made for the Vodaphone (ISP) datacard, but I have information from the net that I can get it to work with my '3' datacard. ('3' is the name of my ISP). So far I haven't been successful, but I haven't had time to try more settings.

peppyy

#182 Post by peppyy »

Isn't it nice to break that dialup marker and actually see some speed.
OK, I have modified the script to only look for a .ppd file in /root. The CUPS install package should be unpacked in /tmp and run from there. That way it is automatically deleted on rebooting.
Well I modified the dotpup to install to tmp but there is a problm with that so catch 22 is that although we can extract the files there they cant be automatically started there from the dotpup. In the default location the preinstall.sh and postinstall script work fine allowing the installer to run automatically. I would try a rm from the end of the post install but i don't think it would work becauseit would run before the instalation was finished.

It liiks like we may have to add that to the end of your script to remove the install files.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

pakt

#183 Post by pakt »

peppyy wrote:Isn't it nice to break that dialup marker and actually see some speed.
Not to mention the cost savings. I figure that in about 3 months time I will have gotten back my investment in new equipment. After that, I'll be saving 75% of my monthly internet costs. 8)
peppyy wrote:Well I modified the dotpup to install to tmp but there is a problm with that so catch 22 is that although we can extract the files there they cant be automatically started there from the dotpup.
Would it be worth trying another dotpup maker? Mark has done a fantastic job with his Dotpupmaker, but it may not be that suitable for this application. We are not trying to install a program that will be run from the menu, but a one time installation of files. Also the pupget registration would be unnecessary here IMO. Have you looked at GuestToo's dotpup maker? I believe he wrote the original one.

Now that I'm not working on the CUPS program, I'll have a little more time to look into making a dotpup - something I haven't either done before. ;)

peppyy

#184 Post by peppyy »

You might be right, I have everything working perfectly now except for the removal of the installer files. Is there a way to close the rox window /usr/local/cups-install before the line rm -R /usr/local/cups-install to avoid the error missing or deleted directory. I don't want to leave those files on the system when they are no longer needed.

I remember the first dotpup maker was a template that you modified and it was much simpler. That might be just the ticketor perhaps I can find the line that opens the directory and remove that. I never thought it would be difficult to close a directory in command line :lol:

I will have a look and see this afternoon.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

Béèm

#185 Post by Béèm »

pakt wrote:
peppyy wrote: Pakt, this 3G network sounds interesting. I wish they had something like that for my dad to get connected to. He suffers the intermitent dialup blues where he lives and is lucky to connect at all. I had to get him an external modem to get online since the line quality is so bad. At times his fax dosn't work correctly even. I am working on getting him a longer range wireless card so he can find some connections with his puptop in town.

Good luck with the network.
Thanks, peppyy. I now have the new 3G datacard and am using it. I have it plugged into my laptop without an external antenna which isn't ideal for reception. In spite of that, I'm currently getting 348kb/s in the download direction. That's quite a bit better than the ~40kbp/s I was getting with dialup. Potentially, I can get 384 kb/s which is max for normal 3G. The reason I went this route is that I'm in rural Sweden with no possibility of getting ADSL. Luckily, a 3G mast popped up some months back about 1.5km (~3miles) from here giving me this break :P

I also bought a Linksys WRT54G3G wireless router. This has a PCMCIA slot for the 3G datacard and will allow me to share the 3G connection with my home network. (It also runs Linux ;)). The only problem is that the router is made for the Vodaphone (ISP) datacard, but I have information from the net that I can get it to work with my '3' datacard. ('3' is the name of my ISP). So far I haven't been successful, but I haven't had time to try more settings.
Hi pakt,
Can you say something about the cost for such a way of connection to your Internet Provider and Telecom provider?
(just say it in your local currency, no problem)
Puppy Linux 2.02 SMkey, KDE354mini, wine0.9.20, devx-qt-renamed.
Puppy Linux 2.10r1 SMkey, JWM, devx_qt_renamed_210, KDE355mini

peppyy

#186 Post by peppyy »

It is done! I figured it out with the help of the pros and uploaded it again to the same location.

Link removed, see below.

I believe it should now remove the install directory correctly after the script is finished.and it launches automatically. Let me know if there are any problems.
Last edited by peppyy on Sun 24 Sep 2006, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

aussie

can MU mirror as a dotpup

#187 Post by aussie »

Maybe MU will be able to mirror the new version as a dotpup, as before.

http://www.4shared.com/file/3944164/171 ... stall.html

Will be testing new version, let you know any problems.

(Puppy) CUPS is almost at the stage of a couple of clicks and it's up and running, which is good news, I have spoken to a few of my Puppy user mates and they still get a bit confused about CUPS, especially, when they hear about HPLIP, HPIJS, PPD files, Foomatic, Ghostscript, Gutenprint (Gimp-Print), etc.
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie

pakt

#188 Post by pakt »

peppyy wrote:It is done! I figured it out with the help of the pros and uploaded it again to the same location.
Sounds good, peppyy :!: I'll download it and give it a spin.

pakt

#189 Post by pakt »

[quote="B

Béèm

#190 Post by Béèm »

Thank you pakt
You excited my curiousity so I went to the Belgian provider site Proximus.
They have an offering too, I didn't know.
For 1GB/month it's 323,94 SEK, 12 month contract
Datacard 2.305,24 SEK
Above 1GB extra payment, no other formula.

The good news:
There is a promo til 31.12.2006
For 1GB/month 240,61 SEK, 12 month contract
Datacard = free, 0 SEK

The network speed is 384Kbit/s, but there are parts already in 1,8Mbit/s

Unfortunately the place in the Belgian Ardennes where I go frequently is not covered yet.

Bernard
Puppy Linux 2.02 SMkey, KDE354mini, wine0.9.20, devx-qt-renamed.
Puppy Linux 2.10r1 SMkey, JWM, devx_qt_renamed_210, KDE355mini

pakt

#191 Post by pakt »

peppyy wrote:It is done! I figured it out with the help of the pros and uploaded it again to the same location.

http://www.4shared.com/file/3944164/171 ... stall.html

I believe it should now remove the install directory correctly after the script is finished.and it launches automatically. Let me know if there are any problems.
Ok, peppyy, I've had a chance to test your new dotpup now. Unfortunately it doesn't work right - it unpacks the files to /usr/local/cups-install/ but cups-install doesn't run. When I click on it, then the installation seems to work. The /usr/local/cups-install/ directory does get deleted at the end, so that works.

I have used GuestToo's dotpup creation info from this thread http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=10813 to make what turned out to be a simple dotpup. I have tested it in Puppy 1.07, 2.02 & 2.10 and seems to work without problems. I have uploaded it to Mark's site: http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Printing/cups ... l-v0.2.pup

I will start a new thread to announce the dotpup.

peppyy

#192 Post by peppyy »

I should have downloaded it myself. Although I thought I had uploaded the new file it turns out that was an earlier vresion that was not overwritten. Glad you straightened it out I will remove mine now so there is no confusion.. Can't say I didn't try.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

aussie

#193 Post by aussie »

Tested the cups-install-v0.2.pup, works no problems. Well done to all who have contributed to getting CUPS up and running. :D
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie

pakt

#194 Post by pakt »

Good to hear!

It was a long journey and many have contributed, but I hope we finally have a simple solution to printing in Puppy 8)

Paul

freham

IRe: CUPS Printing - New installation script - Please test..

#195 Post by freham »

Hi
CUPS made a HP Laserjet 6P connected to a Dlink DI-704P
work as a network printer from a Puppy Linux 2.11 installation.

No problem with the installation for a newbie thanks to the
instructions.

Thanx a lot!
//Freham

dan0el

is this the latest on CUPS or do we look elsewhere?

#196 Post by dan0el »

Hi question: is this the latest on CUPS (saw the wikka site:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Cups)... or is there anything else done more recently (I am new to puppy and can't always find what I need)...

kindly let me know.

thanks.

Daniel

pakt

#197 Post by pakt »

Daniel, the latest cups-install-v0.3.pup can be downloaded here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13466

I've updated the broken link in the first post.
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux