CUPS printing - installation script - update 13SEP06

News, happenings
gamfa

#16 Post by gamfa »

Very interesting. I used the cups>espgs>gimp-print combination on 1.09 in order to get my Epson printers to work on puppy. I do have a few comments. Why use slack 10.2. The cups, gimp-print, and hpijs are the same as 10.1 but the espgs is 2.2mb larger on 10.2. The 10.1 version is only 3.8m and 10.2 is 6.0. What advantage is there to the newer version of espgs? You might also give the user a choice to load hpijs or not. Most non-hp printers don't need it. It's is taken care of in gimp-print.

By the way, the script worked flawlessly.

Edit..
I installed the 3 app printing combo on 1.09,2.01,Optimized and 2.02 and it did not require doing anything with the perl libs as they were delivered on the iso's.

dewdrop

Re: CUPS Printing - New installation script - Please test...

#17 Post by dewdrop »

edoc wrote:
pakt wrote:Installing CUPS and a parallel port or USB printer in Puppy 1.xx or 2.xx

Instructions

1. Download the attached file (cups-install.tar.gz) and copy it to /root/
Then, in a console, do the following:

2. Change to your root directory
# cd /root

3. Unpack the file:
# tar -xzf cups-install.tar.gz

4. Change to the installation directory
# cd cups-install
Here is my experience -- HDD install of Puppy 2.02 on a Laptop:

sh-3.1# cd /root
sh-3.1# tar -xzf cups-install.tar.gz
sh-3.1# cd cups-install
sh: cd: cups-install: No such file or directory

Never a simple install or setup of anything here ... doc

Hi doc,

/////EDIT on 8/5/06

I have removed the 2 printscreens to save space on the Forum. Doc has reviewed this post, so they are no longer needed.

dewdrop

Might I suggest you do the following:

1. After you have downloaded the cups-install.tar.gz file and you find where it is located on your machine.... I expect it might be in your root directory..... do the following:

a. Single left click on your mouse while holding the mouse arrow over the cups-install.tar.gz file. This will open up XArchive and you should see 4 files listed. See printscreen below.

b. Click on the word Select All in the menu bar of XArchive.

c. Then click on the word Extract in the menu bar.

This will bring up a small window that shows you where the files will be extracted to....it should be the same place that the cups-install.tar.gz file is located....click on OK.

d. Open the file where all the files were extracted to in c. above....see the next printscreen with the extracted files in it.

e. Put your mouse over the open file and RIGHT click on your mouse. This will bring up a menu. Left click on the words Xterm Here. This will open the Console Window.

f. In the Console window after the # type the following:

#sh cups.install.sh (hit return to begin the installation)

You should now see activity from the slackware download site as your machine downloads and installs the various items needed for printing.

When the downloading/installation is finished with the cups.install.sh file is finished, you might need to download and install the perl file. If you do, just repeat the above process except this time you will be working with the perl file.

Does this short step by step help?

dewdrop
Last edited by dewdrop on Sat 05 Aug 2006, 11:48, edited 2 times in total.

edoc

Re: CUPS Printing - New installation script - Please test...

#18 Post by edoc »

dewdrop wrote: Might I suggest you do the following:

1. After you have downloaded the cups-install.tar.gz file and you find where it is located on your machine.... I expect it might be in your root directory..... do the following:

a. Single left click on your mouse while holding the mouse arrow over the cups-install.tar.gz file. This will open up XArchive and you should see 4 files listed. See printscreen below.

b. Click on the word Select All in the menu bar of XArchive.

c. Then click on the word Extract in the menu bar.

This will bring up a small window that shows you where the files will be extracted to....it should be the same place that the cups-install.tar.gz file is located....click on OK.

d. Open the file where all the files were extracted to in c. above....see the next printscreen with the extracted files in it.

e. Put your mouse over the open file and RIGHT click on your mouse. This will bring up a menu. Left click on the words Xterm Here. This will open the Console Window.

f. In the Console window after the # type the following:

#sh cups.install.sh (hit return to begin the installation)

You should now see activity from the slackware download site as your machine downloads and installs the various items needed for printing.

dewdrop
Nope. 2.02 seems to have broken something. Processes like this that worked fine under
2.00 and 2.01 fail under 2.02 on both my laptop and one desktop. No idea what is broken.

Same results:

sh-3.1# sh cups.install.sh
sh: cups.install.sh: No such file or directory
sh-3.1#

Sigh ... doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#19 Post by Billwho? »

Thanks for the new script pakt. It worked like a charm. :) The only problem I had was I forgot which ppd file to use. :twisted: :oops:

I finally tracked down this chart at
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_ ... t_aio.html
which allowed me to find which ppd to use (in my case DJ3320)
I believe the chart should work for all HP All In One's not already listed in the Cups configuration. :D

I hope one day to get scanning as well as printing to work with the hplip driver from source, but this has turned out to be a long term project for me (I started in 1.0.8 and am still trying). If I ever succeed I will let you know

Hard drive:/ 80Gb
hda1:/ 3Gb hidden vfat partion
hda2:/ 36.5Gb bootable vfat partition Window$ XP
hda5:/ 36.8Gb vfat data storage partition

Printer:/ HP PSC1410 All in one

Puppy version:/ 2.01 Live CD with pup_save.3fs file on hda5

Pearl:/ devx_200.sfs renamed as devx_201.sfs on hda5 beside pup_save.3fs
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

pakt

#20 Post by pakt »

Buteman wrote: The link to www.linuxprinting.org is malformed as there is a comma immediately after .org and before the final /
I did spot this but it is not easy to see.
Thanks for pointing that out. I've put a space between the link and the comma.
Buteman wrote: That is a minor problem because I am getting the same errors as I had before when running cups-install.sh
they are :

sh-3.1# sh cups-install.sh
--19:27:24-- ftp://ftp.linux.cz/pub/linux/slackware/ ... ackware/a/ cups-1.1.23-i486-1.tgz
=> `cups-1.1.23-i486-1.tgz'
Resolving ftp.linux.cz... done.
Connecting to ftp.linux.cz[147.251.48.205]:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done. ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD /pub/linux/slackware/slackware-10.2/slackware/a .. . done.
==> PORT ... done. ==> RETR cups-1.1.23-i486-1.tgz ...
Error in server response, closing control connection.
Retrying.

--19:30:44-- ftp://ftp.linux.cz/pub/linux/slackware/ ... i486-1.tgz
(try: 2) => `cups-1.1.23-i486-1.tgz'
Connecting to ftp.linux.cz[147.251.48.205]:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done. ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD /pub/linux/slackware/slackware-10.2/slackware/a ... done.
==> PORT ... done. ==> RETR cups-1.1.23-i486-1.tgz ...
Error in server response, closing control connection.

These contiue for a number of times ( 20 I think ) then it gives up.
This seems to have been a problem with the server not being available when you attempted your downloads.

I have been thinking that it may be a good idea to put the files on the pup-get repository and download them from there instead.

pakt

Re: Cups

#21 Post by pakt »

Buteman wrote: I did download the files for slack 10.1 at the suggestion of another forum member and edited cups-install.sh but I cannt seem to get anything to print to my remote printer.
Buteman, how is your printer connected? Are you using a printer server or is the printer on another PC?

Do you get an error message when you click 'Print Test Page' in the CUPS web interface? (Please check 'Printer State' for the printer in the CUPS web interface after you try to print)
Buteman wrote:running the printer wizard gives no option for remote printer uuse either.
As it is a completely new script, I thought I would start out by limiting the choices to either a parallel or USB printer. I'm hoping to add support for the different forms of network printing by using feedback from Puppy users who have successfully installed a network printer on their own.

pakt

#22 Post by pakt »

gamfa wrote:What advantage is there to the newer version of espgs?
I must assume that bugfixes and improvements have been made to ESP-Ghostscript or Slackware wouldn't have updated the file.
gamfa wrote:You might also give the user a choice to load hpijs or not. Most non-hp printers don't need it. It's is taken care of in gimp-print.
This is a choice I had to make between adding the extra files to Puppy and keeping the user interface simple. An observation I had made from the CUPS threads on the Puppy forum was that although rarsa had divided his CUPS installation into three scripts in order to let the user choose which files to install, the general advice on the forum was to install all three.
gamfa wrote: I installed the 3 app printing combo on 1.09,2.01,Optimized and 2.02 and it did not require doing anything with the perl libs as they were delivered on the iso's.
The script does some simple checking to see if perl is present and if it is, to check if one of the missing perl modules in Puppy 2.x is present. If one of the tests fail, the script exits with a message on how to add perl.

Hmm, it would actually be enough to just test for the missing perl modules - I can remove the other test...

pakt

#23 Post by pakt »

Billwho? wrote: I finally tracked down this chart at
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_ ... t_aio.html
which allowed me to find which ppd to use (in my case DJ3320)
I believe the chart should work for all HP All In One's not already listed in the Cups configuration.
Useful link, Billwho? Thanks.
I'll put a reference to HP's 'All Supported Devices' page: http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_ ... bined.html in my instructions. Like you pointed out, looking up an HP printer model will show the 'Printer Class'. Use this as the 'Model' name in the CUPS web interface.
Billwho? wrote: I hope one day to get scanning as well as printing to work with the hplip driver from source, but this has turned out to be a long term project for me (I started in 1.0.8 and am still trying). If I ever succeed I will let you know
Yes, please do.
Billwho? wrote: Pearl:/ devx_200.sfs renamed as devx_201.sfs on hda5 beside pup_save.3fs
devx_20x.sfs is a simple alternative to adding the missing perl modules. The only drawback is that (if you don't need the development tools) it is much bigger than just adding the missing perl modules (75K).

pakt

#24 Post by pakt »

It seems the script has worked for most of you so far. That's great! Thanks for the feedback. Please keep it coming!

If all goes well, I will try to make a wizard out of the current script.

As I wrote in another post, it may be a good idea to copy the Slackware CUPS files to the pupget-packages repository along with the other Puppy tar.gz files and have the script download them from there. Any drawbacks to that idea?

Paul

vanchutr

Install CUPS

#25 Post by vanchutr »

Hi Pakt,
Thank to yours instruction 'howto install cups...'
I'd followed your instructions and I'd gotten the message of CUPS Web. Some messages come:
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs
Device URI: parallel: de/lp0

I think that I'd installed succesfully my printer. But I could'n print the Test page?

Please give some more instructions.

Justin

#26 Post by Justin »

I just wanted to report that the script worked fine for me. I have a Canon Pixma ip4000, which is not one of the supported printers, but I tried the Canon s800 driver as some online forums have suggested and it worked! (I haven't tried it out much & I assume some functionality is lost, but a handful of tests showed ok for daily use.)

By the way, the s800 driver solution didn't work in Mandrake 10.0--and even the Gutenberg driver included for the ip4000 in Mandriva 2006 required a lot of tweaking to get it to work with some things still broken, and I couldn't get Canon's own drivers to work at all. So this was a very happy experience. Thanks for all the work--that CUPS thread looked very daunting for novices.

Buteman

#27 Post by Buteman »

pakt wrote:
Buteman wrote: I did download the files for slack 10.1 at the suggestion of another forum member and edited cups-install.sh but I cannt seem to get anything to print to my remote printer.
Buteman, how is your printer connected? Are you using a printer server or is the printer on another PC?

Do you get an error message when you click 'Print Test Page' in the CUPS web interface? (Please check 'Printer State' for the printer in the CUPS web interface after you try to print)
Buteman wrote:running the printer wizard gives no option for remote printer uuse either.
As it is a completely new script, I thought I would start out by limiting the choices to either a parallel or USB printer. I'm hoping to add support for the different forms of network printing by using feedback from Puppy users who have successfully installed a network printer on their own.
My printer is an HP PSC1205 connected by usb to my main PC running Mandriva2006 kernel 2.6.12-18mdk printing via cups using the HP1205 ppd file.
Cups on the laptop does see the printer and it is set as the default printer.
No error messages but looking at the Jobs in cups it is just sat there 'pending since ....' ( whenever I try it).
What I am not sure of is which choice I make when I choose how to set it up from cups web interface to talk to the printer. There are a number of choices
eg ipp http etc.
Anyone any ideas please,
tia,
Norm

pakt

Re: Install CUPS

#28 Post by pakt »

vanchutr wrote:Hi Pakt,
Thank to yours instruction 'howto install cups...'
I'd followed your instructions and I'd gotten the message of CUPS Web. Some messages come:
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs
Device URI: parallel: de/lp0

I think that I'd installed succesfully my printer. But I could'n print the Test page?

Please give some more instructions.
vanchutr, you will need to give us more information. What printer are you using? Which Puppy version? I'm assuming it is a parallel port printer connected to your PC.

pakt

#29 Post by pakt »

Buteman wrote: My printer is an HP PSC1205 connected by usb to my main PC running Mandriva2006 kernel 2.6.12-18mdk printing via cups using the HP1205 ppd file.
Cups on the laptop does see the printer and it is set as the default printer.
No error messages but looking at the Jobs in cups it is just sat there 'pending since ....' ( whenever I try it).
What I am not sure of is which choice I make when I choose how to set it up from cups web interface to talk to the printer. There are a number of choices
eg ipp http etc.
Here is a quote I saved from a post rarsa wrote. Maybe it can help:
When I've printed to network printers with CUPS, I haven't had to install the driver on the client computer. I've just installed cups, started the cups configuration page and I'm able to see the networked printers.

Buteman

#30 Post by Buteman »

Hi,
Further checking has shown that printing works from seamonkey if I choose the correct printer from the list presented but does not work from abiword, leafpad etc.
Still puzzeled.
norm

vanchutr

CUPS installer

#31 Post by vanchutr »

Dear Pakt;
I'd installer successfully the CUPS by your instructions.
But I could'nt print the test page.
I use the EPSON EPL 5800L connected in parallel port.
Your instructions about 'how to install the CUPS with printer on parallel port or USB port' is very clear and easy to understand. Thank you.
I use the version Puppy 2.01 (installed on HDD)

can8v

#32 Post by can8v »

Buteman wrote:Hi,
Further checking has shown that printing works from seamonkey if I choose the correct printer from the list presented but does not work from abiword, leafpad etc.
Still puzzeled.
norm
I have yet to try this script out, but I did use Rarsa's scripts to get CUPS up and running. I thought I had the same problem that you had, but as it turns out all I had to do was click print in Abi Word, leafpad etc... I was tricked into thinking that it wouldn't work, because when I would use the file pull down menu to select print, then look for my printer in the list of available printer it wasn't there. Since I couldn't select my printer I assumed it wouldn't work, but then someone pointed out all I needed to do was click print anyway, and then CUPS would filter it and print it with the default CUPS printer.
I hope this solves your problem, but I still don't have any idea why some programs will let me select which printer I want to use and other I have to print on the CUPS default printer, and the only way to change printers is to change the CUPS default printer in the html interface tool. Perhaps that is the subject of another thread though.
Good luck,
-Jason

can8v

IrDA

#33 Post by can8v »

I would like to test this new install script over an IrDA port. I haven't been able get this working with the files from Slackware 10.1, but who knows this is 10.2 now right. I have a HP DeskJet 450 I have been able to get it working over USB and Parallel with the script Rarsa provided, I was wondering if I should uninstall the current version of CUPS installed before I run your script or will it simply overwrite any necessary files?
-Jason

pakt

Re: CUPS installer

#34 Post by pakt »

vanchutr wrote:Dear Pakt;
I'd installer successfully the CUPS by your instructions.
But I could'nt print the test page.
I use the EPSON EPL 5800L connected in parallel port.
I use the version Puppy 2.01 (installed on HDD)
vanchutr, could you attach your cups error log to a post?

Pack the error log file:

# tar -czf errorlog.tar.gz /var/log/cups/error_log

Then attach file errorlog.tar.gz to a new forum post so we can examine it.

pakt

#35 Post by pakt »

Buteman wrote:Hi,
Still puzzeled.
norm
Ok, I think I have at least a partial answer. I've connected my parallel port printer to a second PC running Puppy 2.02 in my network. Then from my first PC running Puppy 1.07 with CUPS installed (and normally printing through a wireless gateway printer server), I open AbiWord with a text document, click on File -> Print... -> 'Location: Custom' I changed 'lpr' to 'lp -d HL1030@192.168.0.191' (the name I gave my printer@the IP-address of the second PC). The text file printed successfully!

(See attached image)

EDIT: This also worked from GSview

Hope this works for you.
Paul
Attachments
abiword_network_printing.jpg
(33.18 KiB) Downloaded 1295 times
Last edited by pakt on Sun 06 Aug 2006, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.