CUPS printing - installation script - update 13SEP06

News, happenings
PeterB

CUPS Install script

#101 Post by PeterB »

:( Everything goes very smoothly until I try to open the browser with http://localhost:631 which returns an error message 'Connection refused..." Is there another way to configure the CUPS printing? THis is on a P3 THinkpad notebook.

PeterB

CUPS install script again

#102 Post by PeterB »

Pakt....
I tried the suggestion you made to peppyy to run the command /etc/rc.d/rc.cups start before trying to log in to localhost 631....cups scheduler start ok but still could not connect to the local host 631...

any other ideas?
ps i was trying to set up a usb printer

peterb

pakt

Re: CUPS install script again

#103 Post by pakt »

PeterB wrote:Pakt....
I tried the suggestion you made to peppyy to run the command /etc/rc.d/rc.cups start before trying to log in to localhost 631....cups scheduler start ok but still could not connect to the local host 631...
PeterB, I don't know what is causing the problem, but if the CUPS daemon 'cupsd' is not running, the CUPS web interface will not work.

Could you run the following command:

Code: Select all

# /etc/rc.d/rc.cups status
You should get: 'cups: scheduler is running.'

If you get: 'cups: stopped scheduler.' then cupsd is not running.

Perhaps not all of CUPS has been installed. Maybe try running the install script again and see if that helps.

Another thought, make sure you spell the URL correctly: http://localhost:631/ (not, for example, 'local host').

paulh177

#104 Post by paulh177 »

hi pakt --
I want CUPS so I can try to print through my router's USB port (DrayTek 2800VG). I think I have followed your instructions to the letter.
However when I run /root/cups-install/cups-install.sh it errors out saying perl is not complete.
I have downloaded and run perl-add-missing.sh from /root/perl-add-missing/
I also downloaded devx_202.sfs and saved it to /mnt/home/ ( which i think is a link for /initrd/mnt/dev_save/ ?) and rebooted.
Still same message.
i'm booting puppy 2.02 from cd -- dev_202.sfs & pup_save.3fs reside in the root directory of my WIN98SE FAT32 partition.
Is there anything obvious I might have missed?

I'm new to puppy and linux but about 100 years ago ran some for:pro, xenix, sco and solaris ... so i can just about remember how to type ls -l :wink:

Thanks in advance
paul

paulh177

#105 Post by paulh177 »

Ok, maybe this helps:
I think that cups-install.sh checks for the existence of i486-linux in the /usr/lib/perl5/$PERLVER/ directory where $PERLVER is returned from a perl -v , and exits otherwise with the "incomplete" message.
I've run perl-add-missing.sh which has put i486-linux into /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6
BUT if I do perl -v it reports 5.8.0 ... so maybe I need an updated perl? if so where o i get it (as I already got devx_202.sfs)?
tia

pakt

#106 Post by pakt »

First off Paul, welcome to Puppy Linux!

Just to clarify, Barry has put a cut-down perl v5.8.6 in Puppy 2.02, but it is missing some modules needed to run CUPS. The installation script checks for one of the missing module directories (/usr/lib/perl5/$PERLVER/i486-linux/auto/POSIX) and exits if it doesn't find it with an error message. The package perl-add-missing.tar.gz contains the missing modules.

What is strange is that you get 'v5.8.0' when you run 'perl -v'. If you run 'perl -v' without devx_202 (just rename it and reboot) what perl version do you get then?

I have just booted 2.02 from CD and get 'v5.8.6'. I ran the cups-install script, got the incomplete perl error message, added the missing perl modules (using perl-add-missing.tar.gz), re-ran the script and it worked fine.

Could it be that devx_202 contains perl 5.8.0? I haven't actually tried that version of devx_2xx. I'm on dialup so I can't test it right now.

You should be able to get the script to work by just adding the files in perl-add-missing.tar.gz. It would be good to know if there is a problem with devx_202.

PeterB

Unable to access localhost 631

#107 Post by PeterB »

Pakt...thanx for your suggestions. Although the CUPS install script appeared to run ok when I checked it had not installed some files due to insufficient space, and CUPS had not in fact started up. As I am running the live CD version and I only have 196mg ram I assume it has run out of memory to do the CUPS install to - the memory counter went down to zero during the install. Anyway I will try a hard drive install and then try CUPS again.

Still having the problem of unable to load frame buffering on the P3 laptop also!

paulh177

#108 Post by paulh177 »

:oops: -- turns out i'm not running 2.02 at all but 2.00, which is why perl is 5.8.0 and why devx_202.sfs won't mount
pretty dumb of me and i'm suitably embarassed
apologies for taking up your time. when i have access to a burner again i'll d/l 2.02 and have another go ...

pakt

#109 Post by pakt »

No problem - these things happen ;)

Al

#110 Post by Al »

Beautiful job! My HP LaserJet4 worked great after I ran the cups and perl add-on scripts. (I thought it best to run the perl-addon first.)

Had some trouble getting on to localhost:631, and I see that lots of other people are having problems getting to that site.

Anyway, it's great. I have a few little things to work out, but not a problem. Things seemed to go better after I did "cupsd" in a terminal, but I don't even know yet if that's necessary.

pakt

#111 Post by pakt »

Al wrote:My HP LaserJet4 worked great after I ran the cups and perl add-on scripts. (I thought it best to run the perl-addon first.)
I should probably make the instructions clearer on adding the missing perl files first before running the cups install script. The problem with the missing perl files should be gone with Puppy 2.10, but I haven't tested it yet.
Al wrote:Had some trouble getting on to localhost:631, and I see that lots of other people are having problems getting to that site.
In my upcoming revision, the cups install script will start the browser with the correct URL hopefully eliminating that problem.
Al wrote:Things seemed to go better after I did "cupsd" in a terminal, but I don't even know yet if that's necessary.
The cups install script starts 'cupsd'. I'll add a check in the script to make sure it is running before the browser is started.

Al

#112 Post by Al »

When I fired up this morning, I couldn't print until I did "cupsd" in a terminal. Perhaps this has something to do with saving the content of sessions--dunno. I'm very happy to have CUPS printing, so entering cupsd when I fire up is no problem at all. (Probably could stick it somewhere in an rc local script.)

PeterB

Cups ok printer not ok

#113 Post by PeterB »

Finally got CUPS running, got onto localhost but could not get my printer - Epson Stylus Photo 830 usb - to do anything at all although it seems to be installed ok. Any ideas?

Al

#114 Post by Al »

Yes, I'm sure now. I need to do "cupsd" in a terminal in order to be able to print. Excuse my ignorance, but how do I include cupsd in the rc.local script? Do I just type in cupsd at the end, or do I enter something like "exec cupsd?" Again, I gotta say it's great to be able to print in Puppy. I had almost abandoned the pup because I couldn't print.

pakt

#115 Post by pakt »

Al wrote:When I fired up this morning, I couldn't print until I did "cupsd" in a terminal. Perhaps this has something to do with saving the content of sessions--dunno. I'm very happy to have CUPS printing, so entering cupsd when I fire up is no problem at all. (Probably could stick it somewhere in an rc local script.)
That's odd... The CUPS install script *should* have added these lines to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

Code: Select all

#Start cups
/etc/rc.d/rc.cups start
rc.local runs every time you boot Puppy.

Al, could you check if those lines are indeed in rc.local?

pakt

#116 Post by pakt »

PeterB (and others): If you have a USB printer, make sure it is turned on before running the CUPS install script or the printer won't respond.

The same goes afterwards - turn on the printer before booting Puppy.

Also check in the CUPS web interface that the printer is 'started', not 'stopped'.

PeterB

Cups Epson Photo Stylus install

#117 Post by PeterB »

Success!! Pakt you're genius. Don't know why but re-ran the install script and everything went perfectly. Epson prints real good. The difference this time was that the localhost site came up with the correct range of drivers which seemed to make the difference.
One less reason to hang on to XP. Now if I can only get the frame buffering issue resolved.....

paulh177

#118 Post by paulh177 »

pakt wrote:No problem - these things happen ;)
Thanks ... and what happened next was that I got Puppy 2.02, with devx_202.sfs, and your script worked 1st time. I can now print via my router, either wired or wireless :D

Al

#119 Post by Al »

No Pakt, the start cups lines were not in my rc.local. But they are now. Thanks again.

pakt

#120 Post by pakt »

Great to hear your success stories guys - you made my day :P