CUPS printing - installation script - update 13SEP06

News, happenings
pakt

#41 Post by pakt »

vanchutr, the problem seems to here in the error log:
D [06/Aug/2006:06:59:14 +0800] [Job 7] renderer command: gs -q -dBATCH -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sProcessColorModel=DeviceGray -dBitsPerSample=1 -sDEVICE=ijs -sIjsServer=ijs_server_epsonepl -dIjsUseOutputFD -sDeviceManufacturer=Epson -sDeviceModel=EPL5800L -sIjsParams="EplFlowControl=off,EplDpi=Class600,EplDensity=3,EplRitech=on,EplTonerSave=off," -sOutputFile=- -
D [06/Aug/2006:06:59:14 +0800] [Job 7]
D [06/Aug/2006:06:59:14 +0800] [Job 7] Closing renderer
D [06/Aug/2006:06:59:15 +0800] [Job 7] sh: ijs_server_epsonepl: command not found
D [06/Aug/2006:06:59:15 +0800] [Job 7] ESP Ghostscript 815.00: Can't start ijs server "ijs_server_epsonepl"
I checked on the net and found this on the ubuntu forum:
Re: ijs_server_epsonepl not found from Denis Jacquerye at 2006-06-06 21:14:37 UTC

ijs_server_epsonepl was still not installed after I dist-upgraded to dapper.

What package contains it?
Re: ijs_server_epsonepl not found from Denis Jacquerye at 2006-06-06 21:39:58 UTC

I could not find any package with the ijs_server_epsonepl.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/sear ... &arch=i386

The file can be compiled from the Epson EPL-5x00L/EPL-6x00L Printer driver package
http://sourceforge.net/projects/epsonepl/

The cupsys PPD file calls gs with the -sIjsServer argument set to ijs_server_epsonepl but no package installs it.
Re: ijs_server_epsonepl not found from Ali Afshar at 2006-07-14 20:00:08 UTC

I can confirm that compiling http://sourceforge.net/projects/epsonepl/ and copying the resulting executable ijs_server_epsonepl to /usr/bin makes everything work perfectly.

Should this package be in Ubuntu somewhere?
It seems a file called 'ijs_server_epsonepl' is needed to make your printer work. I couldn't find it in the CUPS files.

Sorry, but I cannot help you more than this. Maybe someone else has a suggestion?

Buteman

#42 Post by Buteman »

Ok, I think I have at least a partial answer. I've connected my parallel port printer to a second PC running Puppy 2.02 in my network. Then from my first PC running Puppy 1.07 with CUPS installed (and normally printing through a wireless gateway printer server), I open AbiWord with a text document, click on File -> Print... -> 'Location: Custom' I changed 'lpr' to 'lp -d HL1030@192.168.0.191' (the name I gave my printer@the IP-address of the second PC). The text file printed successfully!
Hope this works for you.
Paul[/quote]

Thanks Paul,
This worked for abiword.
Any idea how to make this the default instead of having to type it in for every document?
tia,
Norm

vanchutr

install CUPS

#43 Post by vanchutr »

Dear Pakt,
Anyway, I must say thank you.
I will try the 'eps...ijs' deal with your comments.

pakt

#44 Post by pakt »

Buteman wrote: Any idea how to make this the default instead of having to type it in for every document?
Found this on the net: http://cfm.gs.washington.edu/printing/cups/

'lpq' will show your default printer:

Code: Select all

# lpq
HL1030 is not ready
Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                         Total Size
1st     root    1       gsvxeDwRpm                      105472 bytes
Change the default printer like this:

# lpoptions -d HL1030@192.168.0.191
Now lpq shows:

# lpq
HL1030@192.168.0.191 is ready
no entries
Leave the AbiWord printer setting to 'lpr' and it will print to the new default printer. I tried it and it works.

This should work for all applications.

EDIT: I don't know if the change survives a re-boot. You may have to put the command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local so it executes every time you boot-up.

vanchutr

CUPS with Printer Epson EPL 5800L

#45 Post by vanchutr »

Dear Pakt,
You said:
'It seems a file called 'ijs_server_epsonepl' is needed to make your printer work. I couldn't find it in the CUPS files.'
That's exact. I follow your comments and instructions to install my Epson Printer. Now I can work with my PuppyLinux with Printer Epson in parallel port.
Thank you a lot.

stargazer

#46 Post by stargazer »

edit
Last edited by stargazer on Mon 15 Jan 2007, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

pakt

Re: CUPS with Printer Epson EPL 5800L

#47 Post by pakt »

vanchutr wrote: That's exact. I follow your comments and instructions to install my Epson Printer. Now I can work with my PuppyLinux with Printer Epson in parallel port.
Thank you a lot.
That's great that you got it working, vanchutr!
stargazer wrote:I guess success stories are welcome here also:)
By all means! Thanks for the report.

Btw, nice to hear from Davis, CA. Had some great times on campus there in my youth 8)

n8siv

printing in 202 with cup,s works

#48 Post by n8siv »

:lol: Worked great on puppy 202 was up and runing in 10 mintes
including down load,s.
My printer ia hp3520 usb.

Thank,s for all your hard work.
the fix is out thier :lol:

Buteman

#49 Post by Buteman »

pakt wrote: Found this on the net: http://cfm.gs.washington.edu/printing/cups/

# lpq
HL1030 is not ready

Now lpq shows:

# lpq
no entries
Leave the AbiWord printer setting to 'lpr' and it will print to the new default printer. I tried it and it works.

EDIT: I don't know if the change survives a re-boot. You may have to put the command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local so it executes every time you boot-up.
Thanks,
This works for abiword but leafpad only sends out a blank page.
Still at least I can do wordprocessing now.
:?
Norm

pakt

#50 Post by pakt »

Buteman wrote: Thanks,
You might send in a bug report. I've never tried printing from Leafpad before, but now I've tried and, like you, just got a blank page. This was with my 'normal' printer connection through my wireless gateway.

fluxit

#51 Post by fluxit »

Leafpad prints fine here using Xpdq.

--Lee

Buteman

#52 Post by Buteman »

fluxit wrote:Leafpad prints fine here using Xpdq.

--Lee
Can you tell me how you use Xpdq to print from leafpad to a printer on another PC please?

Norm

Buteman

#53 Post by Buteman »

Buteman wrote:
pakt wrote: Found this on the net: http://cfm.gs.washington.edu/printing/cups/

# lpq
HL1030 is not ready

Now lpq shows:

# lpq
no entries

Thanks,
Still at least I can do wordprocessing now.
:?
Norm
It appears ( man lpoptions ) that it creates or modifies the /etc/cups/lpoptions file
( which cups uses ) and is the default system-wide file used if the lpoptions command is run by root. Individual users can create their own ~/.lpoptions file by running lpoptions themselves. So probably it is not necessary to add it to /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

Norm

fluxit

#54 Post by fluxit »

Can you tell me how you use Xpdq to print from leafpad to a printer on another PC please?

Norm
That is available here: http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

I don't think it will do you any good though. Is your printer the Brother HL1030? If so, it is a GDI driver based "winprinter". It doesn't speak a "standard" language such as PCL or Postscript. It also has no rendering engine so the PC that is doing the printing has to do virtually everything except applying the toner to the page.

This is significant because most non-winprinters will print straight text with no intervening print driver. They will also often successfully use drivers that were not specifically designed for them, but speak the same language.

I mention this, because further testing here with Puppy 2.02(puppy pfix=ram,) showed that leafpad is not printing the same here on xpdq when a different driver is selected(for example pcl340 vs hplaserjet.)
Seamonkey prints fine with either driver.

--Lee

stargazer

#55 Post by stargazer »

edit
Last edited by stargazer on Mon 15 Jan 2007, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

can8v

Re: IrDA

#56 Post by can8v »

pakt wrote:
can8v wrote:I would like to test this new install script over an IrDA port. I haven't been able get this working with the files from Slackware 10.1, but who knows this is 10.2 now right. I have a HP DeskJet 450 I have been able to get it working over USB and Parallel with the script Rarsa provided, I was wondering if I should uninstall the current version of CUPS installed before I run your script or will it simply overwrite any necessary files?
-Jason
Actually the only file that was updated between 10.1 and 10.2 was espgs-xxx. I then added gimp-print-xxx, so running my script *should* just update & add to your original files. You might make a backup first just to be on the safe side.

Please let us know if you get IrDA printing to work, and if so, how you did it ;)
Okay I get it my best and this is what I have to report. I used your script to install CUPS which went perfectly. Then Logged into http://localhost/631 to configure my printer which seem to go fine. My printer from my previous CUPS installation had been deleted as expected. I readded the printer and the test page turned out fine.
There is problems however, If I print a multi page document regardless of the application sending the document (I tried Abi Word, and Seamonkey with the same result) the printer will print to the very edge of the printable area. This generally means that it will only print the top half of the last line on the page. It doesn't print the bottom half of that line on the next page. so if you hold the pages together it still only shows half of that line. Also I noticed that every other page prints from the bottom of the page to the top, instead of the top to the bottom. I would supect that these are issues with the printer driver, except that this same driver worked perfectly with the other install of CUPS. I have read the documentation that comes with CUPS and I am stumped as to what the problem is.
IrDA? Well after reading the applicable documentation thoroughly there is definitely no support for IrDA printing. I have read one instance on a forum somewhere that someone may or may not have recompiled CUPS with IrDA support so he could print via IrDA from his Sharp handheld, but no answers are forthcoming from said person and he/she may be full of it.
I am going to reinstall via the older CUPS scripts as it didn't present the problems printing over USB that install does.
Over all the script is extremely simple and very user friendly, but for some reason I have that printing issue on multi page docs.
-Jason

pakt

#57 Post by pakt »

fluxit wrote: I mention this, because further testing here with Puppy 2.02(puppy pfix=ram,) showed that leafpad is not printing the same here on xpdq when a different driver is selected(for example pcl340 vs hplaserjet.)
Seamonkey prints fine with either driver.
fluxit, if I understand you correctly, either the pcl340 or hplaserjet is a 'winprinter'. Is that correct?

And that's why it doesn't print correctly from leafpad when you use xpdq?

pakt

#58 Post by pakt »

stargazer wrote: PS: Did you ever hear of Dr. Charles Goldman while in Davis? My mom worked for him for about 25 years.
I didn't actually go to school there, just visited friends and went to concerts and lectures on campus in the '60s. Bought a round(!) slide rule in the campus book store that I treasured for many years (I was an early geek ;) ). I have fond memories of the place.

can8v

Printing from Gimp

#59 Post by can8v »

I have tried to print from The Gimp using both this install of CUPS and Rarsa's install script and either way I get the same result, one line printed across the top of the page. The line says:
%! PS-Adobe-3.0 %%Creator: Print plug-in V4.2 for GIMP/gimp-Print 4.2.7 (15 July 20
Then my printer spits out about a dozen blank pages. Also Seamonkey is the only application that I can print a selection from. If I try to print only the selected text/graphics from any other application (Abi Word, etc...) then my printer will print every page in the current document. The page range function however, works correctly from every application I have tested it from.
-Jason

fluxit

#60 Post by fluxit »

fluxit, if I understand you correctly, either the pcl340 or hplaserjet is a 'winprinter'. Is that correct?

And that's why it doesn't print correctly from leafpad when you use xpdq?
No, I used the hplaserjet driver to print to a network connected Brother HL5040(not a winprinter, it talks pcl4-6). I also used the pcl340 driver to print to the same HL5040.

When printing from Seamonkey, both drivers printed as expected.
Leafpad on the other hand, printed ok with the laserjet driver, but not at all with the pcl340 driver. In other words, leafpad's print jobs require special handling by the printing system or driver, which some drivers do(handle) and some don't.

Clear as mud?