Full disk encryption app

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
puppyuser50

Full disk encryption app

#1 Post by puppyuser50 »

Hi, I know there is a way to encrypt puppy, and the save file, But i have been told that securing files this way is not intended for large files or folders.

I have noticed that true-crypt can be used in this sense, but I have often experienced corruption with my files, and have in fact lost some very valuable files whilst using it.

Would it be possible to include a native (and reliable full disk encryption tool?
or even a tool to encrypt a large folder that could be keep separate from my install files?

smokey01

#2 Post by smokey01 »

puppyuser50

Thanks

#3 Post by puppyuser50 »

Thanks Smokey, I am aware of your database and have used it many times!
It's one of the best databases I have found, fast, simple and efficient!

Just out of interest, is Folder-Enc NSA proof?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

First, it is pointless to encrypt Puppy itself, since the OS is freely available on the web. Second, depending on how you use Puppy, the Save file should only contain settings and installed programs. Again, no point in encrypting those. Save personal stuff in a separate partition or drive, which can be encrypted. Third, be careful what you ask for, you might get it. :) If you encrypt something, then lose or forget the password, you've lost whatever was encrypted.

puppyuser50

Thanks,

#5 Post by puppyuser50 »

Thankjs guys, I'm quite a newbie, and when i installed this to Precise puppy it didn't show up in the start menu, and I can't find a way to start the application.. is there some way to fix this?

smokey01

#6 Post by smokey01 »

For FolderEnc simply right click on the folder you want to encrypt. You should see some options.

puppyuser50

#7 Post by puppyuser50 »

hmm, thats the problem it doesn't show up in any of my right-click-menus either.
I'm using Precise 2.4 with the XFCE desktop, would that make any difference?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Is Rox still the file manager?

puppyuser50

#9 Post by puppyuser50 »

no I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it's been relapced with thuner file manager.

Thanks for helping me!! :)

smokey01

#10 Post by smokey01 »

FolderEnc is a RoxApp that's why it's not being displayed with a right click. I suppose you could install Rox-Filer.