Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 27 Apr 2015, 01:40
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
firefox last stable version
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
kost@s

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr 2015, 08:26    Post subject:  firefox last stable version
Subject description: for any puppy 32bit

I created this package to show, how will you have the latest version firefox browser

simple steps.
1.Download the firefox.pet (it is version 37.0.1_en)
2.Going the official site mozilla firefox and download last version or select other languages you want
3.firefox-37.tar.bz2 Open with "xarchive" -> select all -> extract -> /usr/lib/
4.done!

Last edited by kost@s on Tue 21 Apr 2015, 06:14; edited 1 time in total
Barkin

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr 2015, 09:33    Post subject:  

ESR version of FireFox is worth considering if stability is the priority ...
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/
Moat

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:35    Post subject:  

Barkin wrote:
ESR version of FireFox is worth considering if stability is the priority ...

Hmm... maybe so, maybe not. I know that - for my particular Pup (Precise 5.7.1) and hardware (10 yr. old 2 core HP DV5000 laptop), Firefox ESR 31.6 as well as 34.x, 35.x and 36.x have all been disappointingly buggy and slow compared to virtually any pre-Australis version. The ESR, especially, I found to be basically unuseable. Just terrible! Sad

That being said, I've been extensively using/testing the latest Firefox 37.0.1 (released within the last two weeks or so) on both Puppy and a hard drive Mint 17.1 install - and it's has been an absolutely huge, marked improvement over those mentioned above. I'm finding it to be faster opening, smoother scrolling and more responsive overall than even the Pale Moons that are installed alongside. I'm convinced, and now back on Firefox.

My guess is the Mozilla devs are (finally!) beginning to catch up on all of the bugs introduced along with all of the new features added since the Australis/v29 shift. Here's to hoping, anyways. But so far, I'm finding 37.0.1 is very noticeably superior in every way, to earlier Australis versions.

IMHO, YMMV of course...

I don't even install it - just download the .tar.bz2 from Mozilla, extract it to any folder (my-applications seems just fine) and click on the 'firefox' executable inside (or drag it's symlink to the desktop).

Bob
unicorn316386

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:01    Post subject:  

@Bob: I did not notice major performance improvement from FF36 to FF37 (or FF35 to FF37, etc.) but found earlier versions (pre-Australis too) to be less optimized sometimes, and my laptop is 10 years old too. Haven't tried 31ESR so maybe it is the worst as you say Laughing Only time older versions worked better for me was when I had a machine with only 512MB RAM in Puppy (Firefox 3.6 crashed less than Firefox 17esr). I don't use Flash or AdBlock or any big plug-ins though. Some of my speed differences (smoothness) seems to be chance or placebo or underlying OS changes. This forum usually makes browser feel fast compared to Web 2.0 3.0 4.0 "overly complicated for no reason 2015 junk sites" too regardless of browser version. Very Happy
Moat

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr 2015, 11:36    Post subject:  

unicorn316386 wrote:
@Bob: That's strange. ... Some of the speed seems to be chance or placebo, I think. Smile

I know, it is strange - I was not at all expecting an improvement when my Mint Update utility bumped FF from 36.x to 37.0.1 (and I was happily using the latest Pale Moon, anyway)... thought "what the heck, I'll give it a try and see what happens..." and am knocked back by the performance difference/improvement (not placebo! Smile ). Probably a hardware/code (in)compatibility tweak thing here, but it's really night and day on this machine.

Was so taken, I did the download/extract/run thing on my Precise 5.7.1 Retro USB/frugal install (same machine), and same thing - world of improvement.

That too said - I did install FF 37 on an Atom single-core powered Acer Aspire One netbook (Win7 Starter) a few days ago, and it indeed did not seem to be quite as responsive as (the Atom-optimized version) Pale Moon on that machine... will have to test/compare a bit more to form an opinion there, though. Comparing browsers on that machine is like comparing varying degrees of "pain"... Laughing

p.s. - It needs to be the very latest version 37.0.1, as there was an update (bugfix?) released just a few days after the initial 37 release.

Bob
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: