Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 02 Aug 2015, 12:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
UEFI What is it and how to control it for booting Puppy.
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 05 Apr 2015, 20:48    Post subject:  UEFI What is it and how to control it for booting Puppy.
Subject description: UEFI firmware explained and how to deal with it

Desktop PCs and laptops, of the x86 variety (not Apples or Chromebooks), use one of two types of firmware: BIOS or UEFI.
All PCs manufactured prior to 2012 are of the BIOS kind, and these were usually sold with Windows 98, XP, Vista or 7.
From 2012, most PCs came with Windows 8.x installed, and these all have UEFI firmware.

Read here for more information:
http://bkhome.org/quirky/uefi.htm

This was written for Quirky Puppy, but the information gives you a good understanding of what to do for other versions of Puppy.

Last edited by bigpup on Sat 11 Apr 2015, 21:19; edited 1 time in total
s243a

PostPosted: Sun 05 Apr 2015, 21:54    Post subject: Re: UEFI What is it and how to control it for booting Puppy.

bigpup wrote:
Desktop PCs and laptops, of the x86 variety (not Apples or Chromebooks), use one of two types of firmware: BIOS or UEFI.
All PCs manufactured prior to 2012 are of the former kind, and these were usually sold with Windows 98, XP, Vista or 7.
From 2012, most PCs came with Windows 8.x installed, and these all have UEFI firmware.

This was written for Quirky Puppy, but the information gives you a good understanding of what to do for other versions of Puppy.

I got a new laptop for Christmas (an asus transformer laptop running windows 8.1). It uses UEFI, I think it must use version 2 because I was able to use the search feature on the charm bar for either "firmware" or "startup options" and change the bios options to legacy boot. When I booted the second time from the CD it automatically loaded up puppy. However, when I booted up back to windows, It said it was quote "doing some repairs", which had the effect of changing the BIOS settings back.

The ironic thing is that these changes are supposed to be for security, however, if I can change the BIOS settings from the operating system this seems bad for security to me. The reason being, perhaps some virus or malware could also change the bios settings and lock me out of the computer. This would be horrible. Also the so called "doing some repairs" is annoying because I shouldn't have to change the BIOS each time that I want to boot from a CD. Also these repairs seemed to have pinned a bunch of anoying things back to the start page that I previously had removed.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 05 Apr 2015, 23:30    Post subject: Re: UEFI What is it and how to control it for booting Puppy.

s243a wrote:
bigpup wrote:
All PCs manufactured prior to 2012 are of the former kind, and these were usually sold with Windows 98, XP, Vista or 7.

I got a new laptop for Christmas (an asus transformer laptop running windows 8.1). It uses UEFI, I think it must use version 2 because I was able to use the search feature on the charm bar for either "firmware" or "startup options" and change the bios options to legacy boot. When I booted the second time from the CD it automatically loaded up puppy. However, when I booted up back to windows, It said it was quote "doing some repairs", which had the effect of changing the BIOS settings back.

The ironic thing is that these changes are supposed to be for security, however, if I can change the BIOS settings from the operating system this seems bad for security to me. The reason being, perhaps some virus or malware could also change the bios settings and lock me out of the computer. This would be horrible. Also the so called "doing some repairs" is annoying because I shouldn't have to change the BIOS each time that I want to boot from a CD. Also these repairs seemed to have pinned a bunch of anoying things back to the start page that I previously had removed.

Yes, legacy boot is tricky. Some computers are better than others.

The current release of Quirky requires legacy boot to be enabled, however the next release, 7.0.3, will allow booting from removable drive on UEFI PCs without needing legacy boot.

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: