How to install Puppy in a USB flash drive?

Booting, installing, newbie
ericbenner

How to install Puppy in a USB flash drive?

#1 Post by ericbenner »

Hi. I want to install Puppylinux. I downloaded the iso (I forget which one. It's at home and I'm at work right now). I want to use a USB stick to install. How do I burn the iso to USB to get started? I think I saw something about this the other day. But I don't remember where and, frankly, I have read so many forum and how-to articles since then, I am completely confused.

The machine is a Dell Inspiron (6400 or 4600?) about 8 yrs old, with 1 GB of ram and a brand new, empty 1TB hard drive. Resources are not a problem. I want to do a full install to hard disk and be able to boot from hard disk. This will be a full linux machine.

I played around with SUSE about 9 or 10 years ago but loaded that from purchased CD's and have now forgotten most of it. I also tried Damn Small Linux from USB with little success.

If someone could just point me in the right direction to get started, I would be very thankfull.

rokytnji

#2 Post by rokytnji »

Linky

For

If someone could just point me in the right direction to get started
You can use your own search terms if not liking mine. Good Luck.

PS. Short answer. I usually use unetbootin on pendrive puppy installs.

WB7ODYFred

.iso puppylinux file install to usb flas drive

#3 Post by WB7ODYFred »

Rufus USB installer https://rufus.akeo.ie/ a windows .exe file

Or

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/. A windows application that can ftp download a Linux distribution .iso file and then burn that file into a USBflash drive.

Good luck with pPuppyLinux. I used a full hard drive installation of 5.2.8 PuppyLinux and was satisfied with using Linux and compiling apps with the gnu c compiler. You can try 6.0.2 Tahrpup or Slacko 5.7 http://slacko.01micko.com

Galbi

#4 Post by Galbi »

Hi and welcome.

Among @Rok's suggest of unetbootin, I've had good success with PendriveLinuxhttp://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/
and with Linux Livehttp://www.linuxliveusb.com

Are you thinking in partitioning the HD? I thinks it's convenient...

Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

ericbenner

#5 Post by ericbenner »

Thanks, everybody. I'll try one of those installers tomorrow when I have time.

Galbi,
I was not planning on partitioning the drive. I don't see any reason to for my purposes, especially since I don't want to dual boot with Windows. But maybe there's something I am not aware of. What would be the advantage?

I am looking forward to getting the machine running on Linux. I enjoy photography and will be using Gimp. I will need to find a package for processing my Go Pro videos. I have Adobe products on my Windows machine. I used to use Gimp on this machine when it was running Windows.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

What would be the advantage?
to impress small boys usually... don't if you don;t need it...some sticks and bios don't like it either.

What format/codecs are those movies you need to handle?

I usually manually add the frugal files from the iso and use grub4dos for usb sticks.
I feel its worth knowing how to do it rather than rely on 3rd party tools with mysterious ways :)

mike

Galbi

#7 Post by Galbi »

What would be the advantage?
Not thinking in the next week or the next month. But sooner or later something will appear, a new distro you want to try, a new software that needs a new distro or... whatever.
Imagine that in five years you have to install a new OS and all your work it's messed with your actual OS.
For me it's better to have the OS in a small partition, let's say 30Gb, and all the rest in another partition. To install the new OS you just have to format the little partition leaving the other/s untouched.
I'm talking about just 2 or 3 partitions, not 18 to impress the girlfriend. :)
In my case, I have 3 partitions, one (small) for the main Puppy, another (small) for distro testing, and the rest, with files I want to keep.

Saludos.

ericbenner

#8 Post by ericbenner »

Good morning, gentlemen.

I am sending this reply from my new (revitalized Old) laptop running lucid puppy 5.2.8.

I used Rufus to make the bootable USB. This is still the first boot-up. It took less than 10 minutes to make the USB, boot up the computer, set up wireless connection , install Chromium and log in here.

AWESOME!!! A whole operating system installed and running in less than 10 minutes.

I know I still have some setup to do. But the hard part is over. I am considering the idea of setting up one or two small partitions on the hard drive. But that shouldn't be too hard. Now that I know I have a good bootable USB, there is no fear of tackling anything on this machine.

I'll be back later when there is more time to play.

A million thanks to Y'all from South Carolina, USA

:D

Galbi

#9 Post by Galbi »

ericbenner wrote:I am considering the idea of setting up one or two small partitions on the hard drive. But that shouldn't be too hard.
It isn't hard at all. In your Puppy you have a tool for that, gparted.
Boot from the usb, check that the drive you want to partition it's not mounted, and make what you want with gparted.

About gparted, be carefull, it can be data destructive.
First, play a little with it till you understand how it works. considering that, if you don't tick 'Apply changes' it really does nothing to the drive, so there is no risk of loosing data. Once you apply changes... well, you can imagine. :)

If in doubt, ask here.

Saludos.

ericbenner

#10 Post by ericbenner »

Well, I worked on it some more yesterday with almost perfect success.

I got the hard drive partitioned. Then I used the universal installer and did the full install to hard drive. It said I was successful.

I then tried to use Grub to set up booting from the hard drive. That also reported success. But when I tried to edit the "menu.lst" file, I couldn't find it anywhere. So I guess I still have some fiddling around to do. The computer won't boot up without the USB yet.

Question; What is the best format to use for partitioning the hard drive? I just went with the default "ext2" format. I set up two 50gb partitions plus the remainder of the 1TB drive for a total of 3 partitions, all ext2.

OscarTalks

#11 Post by OscarTalks »

I would suggest ext3 for hard drives and ext2 if you are partitioning flash drives with a linux filesystem.
Oscar in England

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

Of the top of my head tune2fs -j /dev/sda1 will convert an unmounted partition from ext2 to ext3 without having to reformat.

menu.lst might be in a /boot folder on one of the partitions...

mike

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

ericbenner wrote: ...It took less than 10 minutes to make the USB, boot up the computer, set up wireless connection , install Chromium and log in here.

AWESOME!!! A whole operating system installed and running in less than 10 minutes...
Hallo, Erich.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Puppy Linux.

Everything about Puppy is quick. It installs quickly, it runs quickly.....you can add apps & progs quickly; the Rox-filer file system is quick...need I go on?

And, like ALL Linux distros, it's infinitely customizeable. See my 'Tahrpup' & 'Slacko' desktops for proof of that.....

Regards,

Mike.
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-04-06(2).jpg
(113.28 KiB) Downloaded 2209 times

ericbenner

#14 Post by ericbenner »

Well, I found "menu.lst" and edited it.

Still can't boot from hard drive (sda1). I don't even get the GRUB boot menu. I have run GRUB several times, and even re-ran universal installer 2 more times. I must be missing something simple.

What about the "lupusave" file that the USB installation uses? is there a similar file for the full hard drive installation? do I need to chage a setting somewhere to point to that file? It seems that after doing the full install, I should have an option to save data somewhere in preparation for the first boot from hard drive. I even tried to unmount the usb before shutting down in order to force things to be saved to hard drive before shutting down. But I couldn't unmount the USB, because that's where puppy was operating from.

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

you install grub to mbr ?

Grub is a funny one...well the wizard is should I say..try the grub4dos wizard if a no go.

save file changes are not added to a full install...thats how it is.

Mike

linuxcbon

#16 Post by linuxcbon »

Last edited by linuxcbon on Sun 12 Apr 2015, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.

ericbenner

#17 Post by ericbenner »

I tried GRUB a few more times. Then I tried Grub4DOS and got it to work on the first try. In my opinion, Grub4DOS is the better choice for newbies. :)

I'm at work and don't have access to connect that machine to the internet. But when i get home, I can start downloading packages and customizing this to my taste.

To summarize, for anyone wanting to do full install to clean hard drive like I did;

1. download PuppyLinux iso
2. use Rufus or similar installer to make bootable USB from the iso file
3. boot up the machine using your new bootable USB stick
4. use Gparted to partition and format your hard drive(S) (set a boot flag on the partition you will want to boot from, in case your bios requires it)
5. use universal Puppy installer to do full install to one of your new hard drive partitions
6. use Grub4DOS to set the machine to boot from your new Puppy Linux on your new hard drive and create boot menu with appropriate choices.
7. have fun with your new puppy - remember to customize all the basic settings like timezone, language, etc. and set up your network connection.

If I recalled all that correctly, then this is a concise list of what steps to take to get your machine running. I wish I had found a list like this a few days ago.

Thanks to everyone here for there generous help and encouragement. I feel like I have made some new friends already.