Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 30 Aug 2015, 07:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Get All the Google Fonts for use with Gimp, Puppy, etc.
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
svanya

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr 2015, 02:03    Post subject:  Get All the Google Fonts for use with Gimp, Puppy, etc.
Subject description: Get All (1176 of the 1178 currently) Google Fonts for use with Gimp, Puppy, etc.

Getting All 1100+ (minus just a few) of the Google Fonts for use with Gimp, Puppy, etc.

If you're like me you like choices.

And as I do a lot of verbo-visual work with Gimp, for my wordpress/facebook sites, etc. I wanted to have more fonts.

Didn't make any sense to me to just download a font at a time to use, so putting together what I found at: http://hail2u.github.io/google-webfonts-preview.html , gnumeric, geany, Gfontsel, UGet, and the shell I got all of them instead.

It's really pretty simple.

Instruction
    First, create a folder outside of (if you've got a frugal install, if full it really doesn't matter as all of the files, originals+correctly named is only 137Mb) your save file, i.e. place on your hard drive.
    Create 2 subfolders, 1 called: "ORIGINALS" and the other called "GoogleFonts" (no quotes on either name);
    Create a symlink in your /root/.fonts folder to the GoogleFonts folder you just made (note: one of your Gimp fonts folder should point to /root/.fonts);
    Download and extract the GetAllGoogleFonts.tar.gz file into the Main folder you just created;
    Open UGet (prob. in your start menu under Network, I'm pretty sure it's also in the repo). and then File>Import text file...
    Open the attached GoogleFonts_DownloadList_MASTER.txt file and then have UGet download them to the ORIGINALS Folder you just made,
    Once UGet has finished downloading all the .ttf files (less than an hour I think), set the permissions on the shell script to executable
    Run the script. It will copy the .ttf fonts files into the GoogleFonts folder with their correct names

NOTE: I am pretty sure I did this right, as when I cross-checked Gfontsel with http://hail2u.github.io/google-webfonts-preview.html they checked out.

NOTE:. while UGet downloads 1196 files, some don't get copied, I think this is because Google has multiple .ttf files which are actually the same font name,...maybe Smile

Do let me know if I miss aligned something.

If all goes well you should be able to see the fonts (tho it takes Gfontsel a few seconds to open now Smile) in Gfontsel and/or Gimp and you can compare what you see there to the Google Web Fonts Preview

Peace, glad to share the love. ...my grandfather was a type-setter, splains a lot, don't it. Smile

-Scott

P.S. Sometimes "genius" and "insanity" walk hand-in-hand. Better off, not to question it and just go where you love leads you. -peace
GetAllGoogleFonts.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  GetAllGoogleFonts.tar.gz 
Filesize  62.41 KB 
Downloaded  57 Time(s) 
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr 2015, 02:39    Post subject:  

Since I do not have UGet I have used a little script to download the fonts using wget.

Code:
#!/bin/bash -a
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------

while read LINE
do
   wget "$LINE"
done < /root/Downloads/GoogleFonts_DownloadList_MASTER.txt

exit 0

Result was 1193 Fonts renamed from 1997 Fonts downloaded.

It took around two minutes incl. copying and renaming to original names.

Thanks for collecting the download links in a text file!

I have uploaded a .tar.gz Archive (33MB) containing all the renamed 1193 Fonts to datafilehost.com, which will stay at least for 90 days.

Copyright is NOT Copyleft: good people are aware of this and respect both of them!
greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr 2015, 03:15    Post subject:  

Thank you both.
svanya

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr 2015, 06:01    Post subject:  

Kewl!!! Even better, well, actually WAY better on both counts!!! Peace thru PUPPY!!!
cimarron

PostPosted: Tue 21 Apr 2015, 15:25    Post subject:  

Thanks for these! For those who don't want to install 65M of fonts, I made an SFS from Lazy Puppy's archive.

It's available on Dropbox here: google-fonts.sfs
(Fonts placed in /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF)
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: