How can I install f.lux in puppy? (Solved)

Miscellaneous tools
wert

How can I install f.lux in puppy? (Solved)

#1 Post by wert »

I work on pc for many hours a day and I don't have special eye glasses or special monitor to help my cornea to avoid eye-sight problems. I have tried installing f.lux for linux in lucid puppy 5.8 but it doesn't seem to work as the f.lux instructions on https://justgetflux.com/linux.html are for 'ubuntu sudo' or something. Is there a program or script that i can install in puppy for this purpose. I use xorg driver for my graphics and my system is frugal install on hard disk. I have tried redshift gui.pet but it doesn't work at all. The light bulb that I have in my room is an incandescent light bulb. Thanks.
Last edited by wert on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello wert,

You can find and download the guy's packages (lucid version .deb and source appears to be among them) via a browser at launchpad.net by searching for his name:-
https://launchpad.net/~kilian/+archive/ ... /+packages
The GUI program uses Python which I know almost nothing about and it looks like you might need python-pexpect as a dependency. You should be able to get this (lucid version) from packages.ubuntu.com but I have no idea if it can be made to work.

What I did do was download the xflux 32 bit binary from the page you gave.
Change the ownership to root:root and you can also strip --strip-unneeded
Place it in /usr/bin and then you can start it from terminal.
It requires a location, zip code or latitude and longitude and you can specify a colour temperature or leave that out and use the default.
Once started it runs in the background as a daemon and dims the monitor during the night hours so you could use a script in /root/Startup
For me it works if I do

Code: Select all

xflux -l 51.0N -g 00.0 -k 3200
not sure if the "N" has any effect, it does work without it but North or South should be significant. If you are in the USA you can use a zip code instead it seems.

Someone more experienced than me would be able to make a simple GUI for this using GTKdialog or something but maybe this is not essential.
Oscar in England

wert

Thanks

#3 Post by wert »

OscarTalks wrote:Hello wert,

You can find and download the guy's packages (lucid version .deb and source appears to be among them) via a browser at launchpad.net by searching for his name:-
https://launchpad.net/~kilian/+archive/ ... /+packages
The GUI program uses Python which I know almost nothing about and it looks like you might need python-pexpect as a dependency. You should be able to get this (lucid version) from packages.ubuntu.com but I have no idea if it can be made to work.

What I did do was download the xflux 32 bit binary from the page you gave.
Change the ownership to root:root and you can also strip --strip-unneeded
Place it in /usr/bin and then you can start it from terminal.
It requires a location, zip code or latitude and longitude and you can specify a colour temperature or leave that out and use the default.
Once started it runs in the background as a daemon and dims the monitor during the night hours so you could use a script in /root/Startup
For me it works if I do

Code: Select all

xflux -l 51.0N -g 00.0 -k 3200
not sure if the "N" has any effect, it does work without it but North or South should be significant. If you are in the USA you can use a zip code instead it seems.

Someone more experienced than me would be able to make a simple GUI for this using GTKdialog or something but maybe this is not essential.
Thanks man